Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I too have enjoyed Mr. Sundra's writing over the years. I hope he decides to visit regularly.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I NEVER expected to be able or privileged to talk w/ you, J B (Mule Deer), Dr. Howell, Dr. Ohler, and others who participate here. I truly am humbled that you have taken the time and effort to respond.

What he said.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always look forward to the next Complete Rifleman.

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very neat to have Jon Sundra checking in here wink....I am jogging my memory to recall if I have been reading Johnny B or Jon Sundra the longest.But think that Jon was before John. smile

Glad to have both on board here as well as Ken Howell,Tom Turpin,Greg R and others.All have provided many enjoyable hours of reading and learning....

Maybe Jon inluenced me more than I suspect,as among my favorite rifles these days is a 7mm wearing a 6X scope.

Anyway,welcome,Jon.Look forward to having you on board. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jon Sundra reminds me of one of my brother-in-laws with regards to rifles, cigars, cars and firmly held opinions. I like him anyway.

I remember reading about 7mm's and 160 grain bullets in a Jon Sundra article. I'd started hunting with an 03A3 Springfield sporter in a laminated stock - accurate but heavy and truly one of the ugliest rifles on earth. Heavy didn't matter then but the ugly part made me sell the rifle. Well, thanks to the Sundra influence, I bought a Remington 700 in 7mm mag, loaded up 160 grain bullets and shot stuff. It was my deer rifle, elk rifle and varmint rifle. As I got older and had more money along with less time to hunt, I wandered off into different rifles, cartridges and scopes. None worked better but all worked fine. It would have been cheaper to listen to the advice the 7mm/160 combo and stay there.

There've been a handful of really good gunwriters over the years and Jon is among the best of the group. We are truly fortunate to have a lot of the really good ones posting here. Thanks to all.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 1096here
Finally, I have to ask, are you and Bill Dance one and the same?

It does sound like a pseudonym, doesn't it? But it's not mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Very neat to have Jon Sundra checking in here wink....I am jogging my memory to recall if I have been reading Johnny B or Jon Sundra the longest.But think that Jon was before John. smile

Glad to have both on board here as well as Ken Howell,Tom Turpin,Greg R and others.All have provided many enjoyable hours of reading and learning....

Maybe Jon inluenced me more than I suspect,as among my favorite rifles these days is a 7mm wearing a 6X scope.

Anyway,welcome,Jon.Look forward to having you on board. smile

I have been reading JS' writings for a long time.It is nice to see him here, hope he sticks around.
cool

Wonder if Sundra still runs that V10 Gallardo?
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Welcome to the 'Fire, I have appreciated your writings.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I once subscribed to the idea that longer barrels were better, at least until I knocked the rear view mirror off my pick-up's windshield while hastily trying to get into action on a running coyote. That 26" barrel on the .243 was way too unwieldy, and it was soon sold.

Thanks to Jon Sundra (and with a nod to Jack O'C), my .375 Holland wears a 20" barrel and my handiest truck gun is a 7mm-08 with an 18.5" tube, and the "using" rifles in my gunsafe have gradually grown shorter.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
cool

Wonder if Sundra still runs that V10 Gallardo?
grin [/quote]

Traded-in the silver one for a white `08, which I've had for a while. A couple guys on this thread asked that I post a pix, but I can't remember how to do it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jon,

Anytime you want to post a photo, just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.

Tom

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Jon,

Good to see you posting here! It gets lonely with only one "John" gunwriter....

John Barsness

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7mmJRS
The only forum I visit on a regular basis is Lamborghini-Talk, as I am an enthusiastic owner;

He must have influenced me a bit as well when I was younger as all I own are 7mm rifles (excluding .224s). But I'm thinking we may need to revisit that "How much do gun writers make" thread. LOL

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jon et.al.-

I know I'm an UNKNOWN stranger to him but He SEEMS like an old friend to me. I had only been handloading for 2 yrs basically w/o a mentor. I bought the Lyman manual, read, read, & re read before I loaded my first round. I literally 'closed my eyes' when I shot my first reload. (243 Win)

Finding Shooting Times and the G Ws gave me insight and instructions and tips I'd never had. Also when I saw the cover of 9-77 Shooting Times and the new 8mm RM, my eyes danced like the Northern Lights. I became engrossed in handloading like never before.

I read MANY other writers obviously but Jon made some connection with me. Maybe personality, style, calibers, I don't know, but he clicked w/me.

I APPRECIATE all the G Ws except one,& he doesn't participate here. Even as a novice, that writer didn't seem to be up to my level. To ALL of you guys, THANKS for the tips, hints, & instructions that I definitely needed.

Jon,you are among the BEST to my way of thinking.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Jon/John,

Fellow Parodi fan here. I even like the Anisette flavored ones at times for a change.

Straight Shooting!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I learned a lot from Jon Sundra. Two things immediately come to mind from his writings. First is that his 7mm is as much recoil as he wants to deal with from the prone position. Second, when one of his rifles was confiscated by some Russian officials, he managed to remove the bolt and hide it so they couldn't use the rifle either.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jon: good to see you posting here!

Interesting that you are into Lamborghinis....

We always knew you gunwriters got paid off the charts.... wink

the "other" John is still putzing along in Mercedes and the like...he never lets me drive...... frown

WELCOME!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its great to see Mr. Sundra posting at the Campfire.

I owe him a big thank you for turning me onto the SIG SHR 970 rifle in one of his articles in the late 1990's

It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned and a real shame they don't make them any more.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I do enjoy my 7x57s, and my brother's newly rebarrelled .280AI is turning into a tack driver. Also have 5 straight 6x scopes now. Jon's been as bad an influence as John. frown

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I may have been a bit harsh in my comments on Mr. Sundra way back when this thread got started. What, me opinionated? Hell no. I have to admit that one's opinions are based mainly on one's experience. At the time of the article where the 30-06 was called a ballistic has been, my total rifle experience was .22 LR, 30-30 and 30-06, the latter having served me well for over 10 years. I even thought the .308 Win. was a 30-06 wannabe. blush Time flies and over time, I got better paying jobs that allowed me to play with other cartridges and rifles. I even own a few rifles in various 7MMs. shocked
I have to think that if my earlier comments back in 2008 were out of line, then I must humbly apologize. Still, I admit to being a crusty opinionated old curmudeon. wink
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,148
Posts18,502,795
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.