Hop To
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by PPosey
That was an awsome shot, where did the bullet hit? high shoulder?

Originally Posted by Kenneth
ya John, where was the point of impact for such an immediate knockdown? She did good.

High shoulder.

Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm impressed, tell me more about the scope. Must have had turrets.

Yes the scope had turrets. laugh

Little more than stunt shooting and certainly can't be called hunting by any means. Not something to be proud of.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guy from Bama is the worlds foremost authority on western Elk hunting...right

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by teal
Well you - or someone else obviously worked with her so she made a heck of a shot. Betting she remembers that for a lifetime!

Don't think I could make that shot right now - caliber be damned.

Met John at the wyoming 24hc gathering...he took 6-7 of us out and we were all hitting 600, 700 then 1100 yds...no issues...probably the same .243 in the vid.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Little more than stunt shooting and certainly can't be called hunting by any means. Not something to be proud of.

Well just exactly how would you propose they shoot the elk in that wide open country if not from long range?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's a cool video. The 243 is a good killer, no doubt. Those elk sure don't seem hard to kill.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Swampy could have done that shot off hand.. with open sites... grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TBaker5390
Well you - or someone else obviously worked with her so she made a heck of a shot. Betting she remembers that for a lifetime!

Don't think I could make that shot right now - caliber be damned.

Met John at the wyoming 24hc gathering...he took 6-7 of us out and we were all hitting 600, 700 then 1100 yds...no issues...probably the same .243 in the vid.

Tom,
That was the same .243 Win you and the other guys shot at the gathering in Wyoming. Still seems to shoot OK. grin

Originally Posted by TannerGun
Jeeeezusss. I'm a believer. John what do you start the VLDs at?

TG,
3050fps.

Curious - what was the windage call? Sounded like it was blowing some but hard to say - microphone could be making it sound worse than it was.

Teal,
Where we were setup there was a left to right gusting to about 10mph. In the video you can see the wind in the notch was running the opposite (right to left) from the elks breath.

I figured she would need 2 MOA at the top and told her to hold right in the middle of the elk. If you listen to the wind it drops and the vapor from the elk�s breath drops down right before she shoots. Right before the shot we change to hold to right behind the shoulder and got about 1 MOA of left to right drift.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd have used dots and a Core-lokt....
Nice

She was good enough to do it even with substandard equipment. laugh

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have one question, did you do that with a fixed 6X scope???

grin grin

Originally Posted by Royce
John
Shame on you for using a 243 on elk- What would you have done if that young lady had had to take a long shot?? smile

Would have snuck closer. I had my camo on.

Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
[Little more than stunt shooting and certainly can't be called hunting by any means. Not something to be proud of.

Well I was proud of her. You have yourself a nice day, Ed. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
call me crazy but when i see it done, it sorta negates the "you can't do it" crowd.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Most impressive! I love it!

She had a great coach.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
every dog has it's day. obviously a spine or head hit. i am a long time elk hunter. don't see whats so special about this. could have just as easily wounded the elk. rather have seen all the misses included in the other two " set-ups "

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bluegillman
every dog has it's day. obviously a spine or head hit. i am a long time elk hunter. don't see whats so special about this. could have just as easily wounded the elk. rather have seen all the misses included in the other two " set-ups "

Doin is better than guessin..

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Well that was the first and only shot she has ever fired at a big game animal. Wish I had her record.

I never figured out guys who wanted to see others fail more than they wanted to see success but you are proof such people exist.

Congratulations???

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love these threads grin
The core-loks & dots comment was charish

Entertaining video... Thanks for posting

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
John,

You and your friends use the Berger VLDs a lot so I have a question about them working up close. If a cow had presented itself at 25 yards would you still had her shoot high shoulder or would you have her shoot it behind the shoulder?

I am thinking about getting 150 grain .277 Bergers VLD perking in my heavy, very accurate old .270 and where I hunt I am just as likely to shoot at real short range as mid-range 3-400 (to you) distances.

Congrats to the young lady, she put the bullet exactly where it needed to be.

Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by tzone
Wow. nice shot.

I can't believe a .243 could do that. grin

I am on the same page you are.... shocked

Doc

Only possible with 243 if it's a youth or a woman. For a young woman it's a slam dunk. shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and only on cows. bulls are way too tuff to be perforated by the lowly 243 shot by a heavy-handed man.....

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Very neatly done John and hunter.
Darn it, now I want to sell my '06's and get told by the experts here that a new .243 won't work.
Heck, even that might be fun. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
every dog has it's day. obviously a spine or head hit. i am a long time elk hunter.

You are obviously someone who hasn't read anything about new bullets in the last twenty years. I think JB would have told us if the spine had been severed when the animal was dressed out. Bergers produce what you saw in that video more often than any other bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful thing... Those 105s. Thanks for the info. I'll have to pop an elk soon this year with one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool video.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,818
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.