Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks John for telling the whole story. This has helped clear up quite a bit of mis-information. (information you intentionally left out to spark up controversy?) After all, it's not an Internet thread without misinformation.

Just seems to me I'd have liked her to shoot the gun a bit first, but that's just me and my opinion, not you and yours.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
John, how much time did the gal put in behind the rifle prior to taking her out hunting?

I think she dry fired it 3 or 4 time before we went out and another half dozen dry fires on the elk.

This is amazing, and not a "good" amazing. You let a gal with absolutely no experience shooting game with a rifle and furthermore, no experience shooting at that range at anything, take her first shot at a living big game animal?

Twisted.

Jumping to conclusions again I see

Sir, I was going to say the same thing. How do any of you know she did not grow up with a rifle in her hands?

John said she has a 300 WSM, maybe she shoots it at 700 yards every other day.

You never know about the other aspects.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This was why I wanted to get a better picture of what was going on. Course all John said was "she hunts birds" and "owns a 300wsm", didn't say if she shoots the hell outta it, but he prolly thinks I'm trolling so he's laying out some bait wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Boy lots of tight panties in here. MM has the best response so far, the one pulling the trigger is almost always the least experienced shooter, it is the spotters job to be ranging, reading wind and making the correct calls. The physical act of shooting a moderately heavy rifle from the prone is not some super athletic skill set.

I have a friend that I consider a poor shot, does not practice, has no idea of how to obtain a solid field rest and if he hits an 8" paper plate at 200yards 50% of the time with his rifle I would be suprised. While playing on the ranch he was impressed the way I was splattering stuff with my .243 running the 115Dtac and wanted a try. He dry fired a few times and then using the called comeups and windage hold he wiped out a crow at 435 yards and a second one over 550. Two one shot hits on something smaller than the vitals of that elk.

My brother in law is in his 30s and his last shots fired were from an air rifle in boy scouts. Set him up at the range and put him on a 6" plate at 400yards, had him dry fire a few to understand the concept of a trigger press, gave him a wind read and he pops the plate 2 for 2. He looked at me and said "so what is so hard about that", he switched to the 600yard plate I told him to guess on external ballistics and I let him chase his tail in a switching cross wind for a half dozen rounds before he looked over and said "I get it now". He quickly understood that the knowledge was far more important than the physical skill. I have coached a lot of new shooters over the years and if they willing to listen they can have fabulous results. When I got that particular .243 up and running I put it on paper at 100 with 3-4 rounds then jumped right to 1000yards on a plate. The next three rounds were under 8"and a little bit high because of a software problem, I did not compensate for the uphill shot and the 1000yard plate should have only needed data for about 970. Went back to 200yards and followed my JBM results and built a data table to 1200yards. I was blessed to have a very light 6 o'clock wind and from 200 yards out to about 1050 I would not have had a single round off of a 10" target.

For me ethics is a sum of whole. If the hunter had no experience behind this rifle, no knowledge of proper comeups and holds then slinging lead from any caliber at any distance is unethical. As it was shown here the physical component was solid as well as the information required to make the shot. Never met JB in my life but I think if he was looking at a shooter that could not get comfortable, was not sure of themselves or had a good dose of buck (bull?) fever he would have waved off the shot and looked for a fourth setup.

This is a good post by someone who clearly shoots a lot and knows it is no trick to hit from prone with a bipod,even to long distances;and calling conditions is most important of all.

I shot with John one afternoon in Wyoming, he making the "calls" for wind,comeups, etc,and he had three of us on rocks the size of elk vitals to 1200 yards(which to me looked like the next time zone).I was completely incredulous, never having shot so far at anything......When we switched to 800 yards it seemed somehow "easy"...so I know this gal was well coached.

John does not "guess" about this stuff.

What many can't get their head around is that little slip of a bullet killing that elk so quickly.I might feel the same if I had not dug so many 100 gr bullets from elk carcasses years back,killed with a 250 Savage by a pal in Wyoming.A 243 would not be my choice either, but I am not shocked the animals died quickly....

Sure, elk are tough(hit poorly with anything),but it only takes a few inches of penetration over the ribs to reach the lungs,and that 6mm bullet through lungs is a destructive force in soft tissue.No North American ungulate will survive it if placed close enough to where he "lives",ie heart/lungs destroyed.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
as the blood flows freely from the gored ox..

perfect..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is possible that me calling her a �girl� in the title of the thread is somewhat misleading but it made me smile. smile

Well, I liked the title of your other thread about the antelope, it was much more fitting...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call me nuts, but i would rather have a calm inexperienced shooter than someone that thinks they know what they are doing. Reason is simple if they dont think they know what they are doing, they let you tell them what to do and how.
I had my old 7 mag out busting rocks at 650. My neighbor thought it was cool and wanted to try. He had never shot beyond 100 yards. He listened well, let me talk him into the shot and listened. He hit the rocks and we went all the way to 750. It was fun and an education. Same gun but different shooter. Had my best friend out and i was busting rocks at 400 yards. He wanted to shoot my rifle so i let him. I told him what to set the scope on and how to hold. He kept missing. I grabbed the rifle and hit the rocks. Finally asked him what the deal was, he told me he was aiming a lil hi and adjusting for wind. I told him he didnt need to with the scope set. After finally listening he busted some rocks. He has hunted as long as me and has more experience than my neighbor.
So in a sense sometimes its better for someone willing to learn and listen to take long shots than someone who thinks they know it all and wont listen. Just my take on it.
I also have a new 7 mag, i wont shoot it beyond 550 yards because i dont have the confindence in myself yet with that rifle set up. I do have the yards set to 800 but doubt i will ever use em because i havent been confident in that rifle at those ranges yet. My old 7RM no issue because i new the gun. This new one will take time.
JB seems to know his guns and what they do. I like the confidence. Great kill!

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Originally Posted by noneck180
I actually stuck up for this hunt on another forum, before reading this. I can't believe this young girl had never shot this rifle before. John you should be ashamed..

I think I already explained I feel pretty proud of how that all worked out.

It is possible that me calling her a �girl� in the title of the thread is somewhat misleading but it made me smile. smile

While this might have been her first big game animal she owns her own bird dogs and hunts upland game most every weekend.

The elk was hauled out of the hills in the back of her 1 ton dually truck. She owns a string of horses (including one of the better mannered stud horse I have ever been around) and tack (including pack saddles) and regularly rides alone in the exact area in which she killed the elk. She was ready to saddle up and pack that elk out of any hole it could find.

She owns her own .300 WSM.

She works 12 hr shifts in the QC dept of a company that makes cancer medicines and only has the weekends to hunt.

I did not �let� her shoot that elk. I simply told her what the gun would do and she made the decision understanding exactly what could go wrong.

What really makes me smile is how she performed so well in a situation that has a few, just a few, of you guys stumped.

An impartial observer might draw the conclusion her stellar performance has damaged a few fragile egos. I mean if a �girl� can do it ??? cool

JB,

Good on ya and tell the girl congrats. This place didn't used to be like this.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
An impartial observer might draw the conclusion her stellar performance has damaged a few fragile egos. I mean if a �girl� can do it ??? cool

There must be more "girls" than we imagined masquerading here as guys. Listen to them crying and whining.

I think you do a fine job John.

I wonder how many fathers here put their daughter behind a rfile for the first time when they shot their first deer and patted them on the back in elation?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow - that is something Mr. Burns. Congrats to the lady and congrats to you for coaching her on this impressive shot.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by TBaker5390
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
There are those of use that have actually killed a lot of elk, and know how tough they are

So thick skinned that a bow with 2 FPE can't take them down...right...let alone a 45-70...@ 20 yds....chit better have a howitzer @ 50 to make it sporting....laffin

do it or STFU

An arrow is not a bullet...Don't be dumb.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
azz kissing knows no bounds......if this was joe blow poster they would be blasted ! but a advertiser and ho-raaa ! never will agree with that type of shooting on video because it breeds copy-cat shooting with people who have no buisness doing it.

p.s. any body can squeeze a trigger.......

Last edited by bluegillman; 12/07/11.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not that [bleep] again, better stop showing MMA, boxing, PBR, NHRA and many others before some idiot goes out and tries it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not that [bleep] again, better stop showing MMA, boxing, PBR, NHRA and many others before some idiot goes out and tries it.

People do need protection from Pabst Blue Ribbon. grin

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mathman

People do need protection from Pabst Blue Ribbon. grin

Ok, got me there. (grin)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bluegillman
never will agree with that type of shooting on video because it breeds copy-cat shooting with people who have no buisness doing it.

I have to agree here, ever since I watched Bugs Bunny blow up the Tazmanian Devil with a turkey made of Dyanmite, I have been doing the same...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
(information you intentionally left out to spark up controversy?).

From now on anybody posting any thing regarding shooting or killing is mandated to include a seventeen page biography of said subject.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Sad, how accustomed our culture has become to having a babysitter.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wonder what they did with their time before they had the internet to bitch about what others were doing.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Here's my thoughts on this whole fiasco, I still haven't got an answer wether she shot her 300 much, but still, he it goes.

I think Barns is a hell of a shooter and has done a lot for LRH, but after finding out you didn't even put her on gongs for a few hours with the gun is kinda foolish. You put her behind the gun for one reason, to prove to the masses that a GB precision rig can kill stuff in the hands of a rookie. I know, I know, it's not the shooter its the spotter that does the work, but holy [bleep] shes human. You know it and I know it, this was a stunt, a stunt on a living, breathing animal.

I'm not here to slam JB and Grey Bull, but thats my opinion. And if you think I'm just a mouth breather who hates GB Precision you can go over to Canadian Gun Nuts and look at the 19 [bleep] pages of flack I took for defending you, because I was absolutely positive a guy with your experience (John) would have atleast put her behind the gun for a decent amount of time before you coached her to killing her first elk.

Congrats to her, not so much to you (John).

Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 66 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,558
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.