Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
What I'd wonder is if people will spend $2400 on your new binocs as compared to $1700 for SLC HD's, ultravid HD's, $1000 euro HD's, etc. The Nikon EDG is fantastic, but at $2200+ they can't give them away. Time will tell.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Very well said.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are an awful lot of folks who's job - or passion - requires the best in optics and a lot more who simply want and can afford the very best.
but even if many of us can't afford the very best , we all benefit from the new technology as the competition tries to catch up.

Thanks for logging on Mike and keeping us informed.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458Win
There are an awful lot of folks who's job - or passion - requires the best in optics and a lot more who simply want and can afford the very best.
but even if many of us can't afford the very best , we all benefit from the new technology as the competition tries to catch up.

Agreed on all counts.

I'm continually amazed at folks that have a safe full of rifles and one crappy set of binoculars... I'd always rather have the very best binocular and only a couple rifles if it came down to it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most serious hunters would be better served with a set of $2000 binoculars and a $500 rifle - than a $2000 rifle and a set of $500 binoculars

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i dont want to own many rifles and i dont... id much rather have a rifle exactly how i want it, with the best scope and bino i can afford...than have 10 rifles with bushnell banners and compalin how expensive optics are... what i spend in optics is easily spent by other people i know on extra rifles.....thing is your finger can i only pull one trigger at a time

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
additonally im very happy mjensen came by....people from other companies should take note

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, competition keeps others looking in their rear view mirror.
We all benefit from that.
Plus, this economy only serves to amplify the need for great products at a fair price with stellar customer service.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/11/12.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
What I'd wonder is if people will spend $2400 on your new binocs as compared to $1700 for SLC HD's, ultravid HD's, $1000 euro HD's, etc. The Nikon EDG is fantastic, but at $2200+ they can't give them away. Time will tell.

I can understand that many would feel this way, and it is quite obviously very prudent for most guys.

However, some guys are in the fortunate financial position where the cost isn't much of a consideration.

I was in that position about 28 years ago when I got my Zeiss binoculars. The additional cost I paid has been spread over three decades so it amounts to just a tiny amount per week to have the binoculars that my eyes thought was best.

I find it kind of strange: when I got the binoculars as a young man, a 30 year warranty seemed like forever! Now, they are almost out of warranty... and it makes me feel a bit old! smile

John

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Couldn't agree with you two more. I'm the only guy I know that goes on long hunting trips with far more binocul;ars than rifles. E

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

Agreed on all counts.

I'm continually amazed at folks that have a safe full of rifles and one crappy set of binoculars... I'd always rather have the very best binocular and only a couple rifles if it came down to it.

Yes, And, yes. smile

And kudos to Mr. Jensen for sticking his neck out here.
The "boots-on-the-ground" mentality in a leader is to be commended and will no doubt serve Zeiss very well.

Leica can suck their wake. <grins>

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Brad

Agreed on all counts.

Yes, And, yes. smile

And kudos to Mr. Jensen for sticking his neck out here.
The "boots-on-the-ground" mentality in a leader is to be commended and will no doubt serve Zeiss very well.

Leica can suck their wake. <grins>

And yes... it was the gentleman who's posting here from Zeiss Sports Optics who helped me get a rebate I was erroneously promised at the purchase of my Victory 8x20's... he took it upon himself to make it happen, in spite of the fact it turns out I wasn't owed it due to a discrepancy in model #'s. The store told me I was eligible for a $100 rebate at purchase, I subsequently found it wasn't eligible after purchase.

That sort of service turns my head and wins loyalty, and I dearly love my little 8x20 Victories. That's why I'm intrigued as to whether Zeiss will offer an 8x32 HT (not interested in a conquest HD).

But it's going to take a lot to pry my 8x32 BR's (with lifetime warranty) out of my hands... and Leica is starting to finally get a clue from Swaro (and to a lesser/newer degree Zeiss) what top-notch customer service means.

Totally agree with Phil that the sort of improvements Zeiss is making, even if half of it is marketing sizzle, moves progress forward. That's a good thing and I think other Co's should take note of the kind of dedication this particular Zeiss representative is making by posting here.

Big Thumbs up from this little corner of the world...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm glad Jensen is here too, and I hope the new glass is a big hit for them. Great glass is a joy to use, that's for sure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mike, any plans in the works for a new bino/RF combo, utilizing the new glass perhaps???

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MJensen
Aic, all very valid points. Competing in the top 3 is a challenging endeavor, it's like building a better Indy car, all that's left are small improvements but in the end, it's the driver (our consumers) who wins the race smile.

We had 3 objectives when we started this project.

The Brightness
The best center resolution
The best ergonomics

#1. Brightness. Over the last 10 years, although we slightly led the pack, the top 3 all had between 89% and 92% light transmission. Nobody was really willing to make the claim "the brightest". With our new glass, existing prisms and enhanced coatings, we are the first to get to 95% on a premium roof prism product. With that, we are comfortable to make the clain "The Brightest".

#2. Center resolution. As a core hunting product for the most extreme users, center resolution was a top priority. Judging mass or G3 tine length at 600+ yards is critical for those guys. I'm not an optical engineer, so I can't explain what they did or how they did it, but center resolution has been enhanced. Enhancing the center resolution should theoretically widen the "sweet spot" since resolution is a diminishing calculation from center to edge. Since there is no sweet spot measurement standard, we'll have to wait for guys like you to get your hands on it, test it and tell your peers your findings. I am comfortable to say that you'll like what you see.

3. Ergonomics. No longer will Zeiss build great optics and drop the product into a "brick" and say "buy it". Ergonomics matter, period. As the picture of the product reveals, this HT is a departure from our old ways. We built and tested models of the human hand in a resting state when held in front of the face. With this as a guideline, we added ribs to fit the crease of the hand, moved the focus wheel forward so you don't have to split your fingers to reach it, made it larger and slower for control, changed housing texture for comfort, used magnisium for weight and pinned the focus wheel on both sides for durability. Consumer surveys so far says it looks cool and feels incredible in your hand. Ergonomics are in many cases personal preference, but my opinion (albeit bias:) is that we nailed this one.

Hope this feedback helps.

Mike, thanks for your replay. The higher center resolution and a 95% FLAT transmission sound very promising given that the starting point (FL) was already excellent. To your point though, seeing is believing...

I just hope the off center resolution roll off is gradual so I don�t have to wait for the Birders' version of the HTs before I buy a Zeiss wink

I�m very encouraged by your conviction when you say that �ergos matter�, because they do! The bins could have been a little smaller heightwise but ergos are more important than size and optical quality rules...

Aic

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My apologies in advance for a vague answer forthcoming, but to be honest with you and all the readers here, I'm unfortunatly a little cautious how I answer future product introduction questions, since I'm fairly certain my friends at Swarovski and Leica are now reading these posts wink. However, I can say that rangefinding binoculars are a very important new category for us all, and new offerings as well as "in-line" upgrades are probably on everyones new product roadmaps. We all see market shift to where consumers want a dual package, but we all have limited engineering resources so we normally apply those resources to new categories that help us grow, so what's next in line on a product roadmap can change from one day to the next.

So back to your question of "do we have plans for new products or product upgrades in rangefinding binoculars utilizing HT Glass?", yes we do. What's uncertain is (here comes my vague answer) what timeline and priority these products have.

Sorry for a long winded lack of an answer. smile.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you Mr Jensen!

I am a Zeiss binocular and scope user since 1973! Still have my first Zeiss instrument, a Diatal DA 4x32 Ret N� 1. As good as when new!!! And on a par with many today scopes, including my Zeiss Victory 1,5-6x42....
In 2004 I sold my Leica Trinovid BA 10x42, a wonderful binocular, after triing a Victory FL 10x42. And this one was my main hunting binocular since then. I found the so-called "sweet spot" large enough, and couldn`t find any difference with that Leica on this. For me the natural eye position when using a binocular, or a scope is to center the vision. And if I want to look at a side, I move the binocular!, not the eye around the optic field! Of course there must be a center view large enough. And, for me the Victory FL has THE BEST RESOLUTION, BRIGHTNESS, COLOURS AND CONTRAST of all the rest. Period!
I have another two binoculars I really like and use: A Swarovski Habicht 10x42 W GA, a trully well made binocular as used to be build with great optics, and a recent Meopta Meostar 8x32, an outstanding "little" binocular I use every day (I am an agricultural engenier working in Range Management in Patagonia).
I am very interested to try the new Zeiss HT binocular, so I took the challenge and I have just SOLD MY VICTORY FL to a hunter friend "needing them"!! And will wait for the new HT.
To be sure, when will it be available in USA and/or Europe?

Thank you again!

PH

Last edited by PatagoniaHunter; 03/12/12.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by MJensen
My apologies in advance for a vague answer forthcoming, but to be honest with you and all the readers here, I'm unfortunatly a little cautious how I answer future product introduction questions, since I'm fairly certain my friends at Swarovski and Leica are now reading these posts wink. However, I can say that rangefinding binoculars are a very important new category for us all, and new offerings as well as "in-line" upgrades are probably on everyones new product roadmaps. We all see market shift to where consumers want a dual package, but we all have limited engineering resources so we normally apply those resources to new categories that help us grow, so what's next in line on a product roadmap can change from one day to the next.

So back to your question of "do we have plans for new products or product upgrades in rangefinding binoculars utilizing HT Glass?", yes we do. What's uncertain is (here comes my vague answer) what timeline and priority these products have.

Sorry for a long winded lack of an answer. smile.

Well, I'm holding out hope.,...Please though, don't screw the pooch like Swaro did with their new EL Ranges and make the minimum ranging distance 33 yds. laugh That don't work too well for the archery market. wink

Thanks Mike!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter

...and this one was my main hunting binocular since then. I found the so-called "sweet spot" large enough, and couldn`t find any difference with that Leica on this. For me the natural eye position when using a binocular, or a scope is to center the vision. And if I want to look at a side, I move the binocular!, not the eye around the optic field! Of course there must be a center view large enough...

PH

PH, you are confusing natural with adaptive. You�ve adapted to moving the bins to where you look at(adaptation to the fact that the binos have/had off center resolution roll off). What you call natural is in reality your adaptation to a constraint posed by the binos. You�ve being doing it for so long it become second nature but that does not make it natural. It�s natural to an owl but not you a human.
I find it easier to pan with my eyes and hold the binos steady than the other way around in any bino holding position (holding, resting, tripod).

To your point and looking beyond semantics, second nature can feel natural to many but it not for all.

Aic

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
In many cases, Archers lead the trends of the hunting world. 10 yards short range ability and a button on the right side of a rangefinding binocular are what we call "CSF's", critical success factors. Failing to recognize these CSF's is not being in touch with your market, and we won't do that. No wories on this one as we build new product.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.