Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by NH K9
Groveton is, basically, a ghost town since the mill closed. I need to get home, though, as it's been too long. I have to go pick up my camper in Lancaster and will probably slide north to see what the old place looks like after two years.

I'll be taking the wife and boy up to Pittsburg in late August. We'll camp, fish and hit the Lancaster Fair. My preference is with Francis, but only based on nostalgia.

George

Wait, the fair in the town with the McDs (the only one I know of in those parts), where 3 goes into the town, then hooks a right to head out of town, with the McDs on the left? If so, I love that fair. Still pizzed I didn't jump on a rifle purchase there many years ago...

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That would be the one. The Lancaster Fair is the fair for us woodboogers grin . It's always Labor Day weekend. I never missed one growing up. My brother and I would live at my grandparents in Carrol County during August working the blueberry fields. They would get us home just before the Fair and then back to school.

Good times....

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Notch just ain't the same after the "OLD MAN" fell!!! i guess i'm just lucky living up here ,take it for granted pretty much, Marks a nice guy up to the "potato barn" altho a bit pricey !!!!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Loggah
The Notch just ain't the same after the "OLD MAN" fell!!! i guess i'm just lucky living up here ,take it for granted pretty much, Marks a nice guy up to the "potato barn" altho a bit pricey !!!!!

Not sure of his name, but if Mark's the bearded fellow who owns and runs the place with his wife, the pic of the red t-shirt that says 'Red Sox' in Japanese is what he was wearing the other day. Nice folks in our experience dealing with them. As has been the case since we stumbled upon the rough gem, they've been fair to deal with. We drop a little coin, and pay cash, and get a substantial % off tagged prices. But agree they are a bit optimistic about some of their wares. I'd love to have taken that bad-arsed hand-forged bear trap, but wasn't in love with it nearly enough to drop 850 bones on it. I'd have paid half that in a heartbeat, but he was holding out. Some city pigeon will likely buy it with the rush this holiday weekend. I'll find another one of these days.

As far as the Old Man, well, I was sorta bummed when he lost face and all (ha, ha), but was horrified at the early proposals involving people 'repairing' it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
x

Last edited by kamo_gari; 05/27/12.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like a good time with the family.
Thanks, seeing these pictures, I've got to take a family vacation. With the economy the way it has been I keep saying I gota take the work while its here, its been four or five years sense the last real vacation.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
You're welcome. Hard to see, but the above pic was taken in an old trapper's cabin. Those documents above the adventures in logging artwork are actual trapping licenses from the 1930s. That kind of old stuff I can really dig.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cool pics

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MAN! I could spend DAYS in that old store.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's funny. wink I took one of those pics thinking of you specifically, Terry, honestly. If you look carefully, in one of those cases you can see original copies of Dick Tracy, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, etc. I don't know what it is, being a lad raised in the 70s, why I am drawn to stuff from a generation before me, but I am.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, I noticed, another thing that caught my eye was the NRA (National Recovery Act) poster on the wall. Remember seeing them in stores yet when I was a mere child.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes Mark Yelle and his wife own the "Potato Barn" there good people, i used to stop there pretty often when Emersons was in business , used to go to Emersons,the potato barn,and the village gunstore in Whitefield , its all just 1 hour north of me,with Emersons gone i don't go north quite as much. frown Don

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The Emersons issue still bugs the schit out of me! I spent a lot of time in that store during my formative years (it was between the elementary school and the high school where mom worked). Jim, Ray and, to a lesser extent, Brian were all very patient with me. I spent a lot of my summer job money in that store and most of was shot up before the end of the weekend.

18 to buy ammo my azz...... grin

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Leighton - I forgot your mountains are smaller than ours. Skewed my perspective a bit!
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
kamo gari
please sir, never grow up.
the rest of us have too much to lose
Great post and thank you

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Soon to be in my version of gods country and although I don't think I can live up to either the pics or the cooking I will give it my best effort.

Thank you for the pics and inspiration. I have not saw my mom and dad in a few years and look very much to spending some quality outdoor time with them in N MN starting Friday.

You are so right in the importance of family!

Once again thank you.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another gem of a thread, nice work Leighton!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks, boys. Ravenr, that's funny the way you put that about not growing up. When that shot was taken by my wife, I thought my folks had left (we lunched next to the falls under the bridge). Turns out they giggled as they watched their grown sons monkeying about like idiots, swinging from the rafters.

My wife told me that later on, Wee Muther pulled her aside and said that my old man had said something that moved her. As they were driving back to the cabin, my old man said, "It's so wonderful to see that the childish spirit and lust for life hasn't left the boys." I'll never forget those words.

Cheers, and thanks for all the kind comments. Glad to have shared a little something of my family and the outdoors I love so much here.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,794
Posts18,477,352
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.