-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RemOil handles freezing temps very well. Seems to be a mix of a little very high grade oil with a bunch of solvent, making it easy to leave a very light coating.
I have now been using it on rifles pistols and shotguns for several years with no complaints. It has turned out to be effective in my smokeless muzzleloader breech.
CLP is good stuff, but RemOil seems to be easier to find hereabouts.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by oldguns
deflave...does CLP work in EXTREME cold conditions...like -20f

In my experience it does.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Hey Travis,

Is that an acronym or if I ask for it will they know what that is? Since you are in MT, I am sure it gets plennnny cold there. By the way, I think this will be the first time I get to tell you to GFY! Thanks for the recommendation.

It's made by Breakfree. Cleans, lubricates, and protects. Just like a condom.

I've never had a problem with it functioning in 20 below or worse. I use it on all my autos. Pistols, two shotguns, and of course my AR.

GFY,
Travis

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by fishdog52
RemOil handles freezing temps very well. Seems to be a mix of a little very high grade oil with a bunch of solvent, making it easy to leave a very light coating.
I have now been using it on rifles pistols and shotguns for several years with no complaints. It has turned out to be effective in my smokeless muzzleloader breech.
CLP is good stuff, but RemOil seems to be easier to find hereabouts.

I've had the same experience. When the SBE gets slow in the duck blind in January, I give it a quick shot and it gets back to spitting out hulls toot sweet.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
EdM...Ezzox freezes up in extreme cold
What's your definition of "extreme?" It's all I've used on my guns here in Interior AK and it's never frozen up....to the -40's anyway. Colder than that is too cold to hunt.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EdM...Ezzox freezes up in extreme cold

Well, sure. You don't have your location in your profile, but I guess "extreme cold" there must colder than -95F.

I live near the Arctic Circle now and have lived other places that get down to -45F so that is as cold as I have used Eezox personally on a firearm. No notable change at -45F.

As an experiment, I did put a can of Eezox in my Ultracold freezer (which is normally used for DNA samples) at the university. At the time, this freezer was running at -65C (which is -85F) and if it had "frozen up" I sure could not see it.

I wonder if are confusing up Eezox with something else, or if perhaps you had not cleaned off other lubricants before putting Eezox on?

Cheers,

John

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
jpb...used Eezox on a Canadian deer hunt in Manitoba..applied as directed....action on bolt action became extremely "sticky" temps were minus 20sfar...removed/cleaned Eeezox from action ..action functioned better in cold

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
oldguns, pure speculation here, but what likely happened is the Eezox cleaned the old, gummy lube off of your bolt and when you cleaned the Eezox off, it took the other lubes with it. Eezox is good stuff, but no lube will perform as advertised unless you clean the previous stuff off first. And maybe you did, it's just a guess.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to work at a ski area doing avalanche control. We cleaned and lubed our 75mm Recoiless Rifles with Breakfree CLP that we bought by the gallon. No problems in cold weather at all.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rta48
Berettaman, a very lite coat of CLP should do the trick. However, it sounds like you probably are starting to have recoil spring issue's (the spring in the butt stock) it's a cheap easy fix, try it!

Randy

And make sure the tube the spring rides in is clean too. If you have that many rounds through your gun it wouldn't hurt to replace your magazine spring and clean the magazine tube.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was just told a couple of days ago that Beluga whale oil was good for cold weather lube. The mrs.has some in the freezer ,going to have her render some down and see.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by HalH
G96 gun oil is good to -65.

Hal

Thats what I use as well,works good here in Alberta.Even my 11-87 functions in extreme cold.

Z
Z
Lockease graphite, from local hardware store.I use it on all my serious use guns. But you have to degrease the gun completely, put car wax on the exterior, 2 coats of was, coz nothing about this graphite is rustproofing! Also, only put the most minute amount of it, and only on the highest friction parts of the action, cause this stuff is messy and it 'migrates" a lot in the gun. but it will "unfreeze" an iced up doorlock on a car, quite often! it is amazing stuff.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jpb...used Eezox on a Canadian deer hunt in Manitoba..applied as directed....action on bolt action became extremely "sticky" temps were minus 20sfar...removed/cleaned Eeezox from action ..action functioned better in cold

Ah, Manitoba was one of the places I used to live! It surely does get REALLY cold there! I remember one day it was -47C (-53F) when the vinyl seat on my truck cracked into little fragments when I hopped in. frown

I used the minimum amount of lube (for Eezox and everything else), so perhaps that might account for some of the difference in our experiences.

Also, now that I think about it, in both my Rem 700 and Ruger M77, I had replaced the firing pin springs with stronger Wolf brand springs I ordered from Brownells. That might have helped too!

Hope that you didn't lose a shot at an animal!

Cheers,

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's not what I'd call extreme. That's the temperature where a Polaris runs at its best.

But anyways I've been out wolf hunting in -35* F with a Break-Free lubed Daewoo K2 that got caked with snow from being slung across my back on a sno-go and it chattered away with every squeeze of the trigger.

Any colder than that I prefer to stay home and throw wood on the fire.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stevelyn

That's not what I'd call extreme. That's the temperature where a Polaris runs at its best.

But anyways I've been out wolf hunting in -35* F with a Break-Free lubed Daewoo K2 that got caked with snow from being slung across my back on a sno-go and it chattered away with every squeeze of the trigger.

Any colder than that I prefer to stay home and throw wood on the fire.

That's the TRUFE!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CLP is what I use now, but i'm going to give 0-40 mobile 1 a couple of tests in my AR.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WHAT?
That figures.
Go shave your balls again. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tanner
Spit.

Tuner, I think they are talking about lubricant for outdoor type machines, not indoor type recreation... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,551
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.