Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's good to be back -- as much as I can be. It'll be a little busy until at least the end of April.

Originally Posted by lawnman
Jim about that windscreen you use, did you make that? What is it made of and how is the best way to pack it without damaging it?
That windscreen that you saw in the photos is a standard MSR windscreen. A primus or Optimus windscreen would be fine too I'm sure. If you want to make one yourself, you can buy #36 aluminum tooling foil on eBay. It's pretty easy to use. You can also use roof flashing, but that's a little heavier.

The best way to store a windscreen by far is to roll it around your fuel bottle if you're using a 24oz or larger bottle. I then put the whole ensemble inside a bread bag or other similar long plastic bag to protect my pack's contents from snagging on the windscreen. Obviously wrapping around the fuel bottle is not helpful if you're using canister gas, but you may have a water bottle, fly rod case, etc. that you could wrap it around. Absent somethign to roll it around, I just fold it up and put it into a big ziploc bag which then goes in an outside or top pocket of my pack. Not ideal, but not bad either.

HJ

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hikin Jim, do you know of any lightweight 2 burner liquid fed stoves? My friend has a Coleman Xpedition that works really well but they don't make it anymore(and the quality isn't all that great).

[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DP4
Hikin Jim, do you know of any lightweight 2 burner liquid fed stoves? My friend has a Coleman Xpedition that works really well but they don't make it anymore(and the quality isn't all that great).

[Linked Image]
Ah, yes, the Xpedition. I've got one of those strange beasts around somewhere. Don't throw yours away! I'll buy it for parts if you're just going to pitch it. I have plenty of fuel for it, purchased when they were phasing it out.

But a replacement? Hmm. Coleman made another stove (the Gemini?), but that's discontinued too. Coleman has largely gotten out of the "backpack" type stove business. Their stoves are all mostly for family camping now.

Obviously you can get a Coleman "suitcase" type two burner, but I think you're looking for something a lot lighter and more compact. You've got me curious. I'll bet someone makes one (Primus?), but I'll have to look into it.

HJ

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey, well what do you know? My memory isn't so bad. Primus does make a two burner: The Njord.
[Linked Image]

I see the Njord is listed on Primus' US website:
http://store.primuscamping.com/family-stoves/butane/njord-2-burner-stove/
Retail is $67 which isn't bad. Weighs 4 lbs though (without the fuel I'm sure). Ouch.

Might be lighter to just bring two stoves. I also wonder how you'd protect it from wind.

HJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for checking! Yes, two stoves seems like the only decent solution.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Thanks for the review Jim. I think I'd still go with the new MSR Windpro though. The bulk issue isn't a problem for me. If I'm carrying an MSR Titan Kettle then I'll be running a Caldera Cone anyway.
The WindPro is a very nice stove, particlarly if you're wanting to support a bit larger pot.

HJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for your efforts Jim.
I had to order one after seeing your 5 egg omelet..

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by budman5
Thanks for your efforts Jim.
I had to order one after seeing your 5 egg omelet..
Uh, oh. I don't think it comes with an omelette. wink

HJ

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by lawnman
Jim about that windscreen you use, did you make that? What is it made of and how is the best way to pack it without damaging it?
Here's what I mean about rolling the windscreen around the fuel bottle (in case I wasn't clear in my written description).
[Linked Image]

HJ

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DP4

Thanks for checking! Yes, two stoves seems like the only decent solution.
Two Windpros, for example, would weigh about 14oz (not counting fuel and a windscreen). The Njord is 4 pounds.

The Njord looks nice maybe if you were horse packing in. It looks like it would be a pretty stable platform, and if it were in a sheltered spot, it would work well.

If it's on my back, I'll take two stoves. With a group, you can distribute the load easily since the burners are already separate.

I kind of liked the Xpedition. Too bad they discontinued it. Like I say, don't pitch it in the trash.

HJ

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by broberts
For what its worth, I just recently received a kovea flame tornado from eBay seller chovin. I am really happy with this little stove. I wouldn't hesitate to order a kovea spider from chovin.

OK chovin.

One and done... laugh

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
B
B
You guys are funny. I live in Gig Harbor, WA. I visit this site nearly every day. Backpack hunting is a relatively new passion of mine. I check threads to see if there is anything I can learn from others experience. For the first time, I felt I had something to offer. I ordered the kovea stove from an eBay seller named chovin. I also received a nice little thank you note with the order. I was pleased with the service I received. Thought I would share since one of the posters had a bad experience with Korean eBay sellers.

Last edited by broberts; 03/13/13. Reason: sp
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know of one rep group that is trying to bring their stuff over here. They make a lot of stuff from stoves, sleeping bags and flashlights. From what I hear they make some stuff for MSR of which that is not made in the USA.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BlackWidowTackle
I know of one rep group that is trying to bring their stuff over here. They make a lot of stuff from stoves, sleeping bags and flashlights. From what I hear they make some stuff for MSR of which that is not made in the USA.

I just saw a notice online, that Kovea has their first agreement with an American retailer, The Gear House of Virginia. Note: I've never dealt with them; I just saw an announcement on the internet.

I notice that they have the Kovea Spider. They also have the "Alpine Pot" which appears to be Kovea's version of the Jetboil.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (308ld, Anaconda, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 10 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.