I also don't see where JWP said FMJ.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It was here. FMJ's for big game.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3523621/3/587_Mulie

FMJ's for big game! The most absurd thing I ever heard.

Anyway JWP. I am done with this silly thing. Use what you want dude. Tracers incindiary, whatever.

Better yet re-write history. I am done with this silly thing. Your posts are indicative of your IQ.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I only responded to your analogy that a FMJ through the lungs would do no more damage than a kniting needle which is BS

Te follow quote illistrates the point

Originally Posted by splattermatic
how many millions of dead things say they don't kill ?
humans included !

here's a beaver that got hit with a fmj. it acted like a knitting needle right ?
[Linked Image]
get a clue dude. they may not be the perfect bullet, but they kill, and do lots of damage, specially when they tummble.
and a barnes tsx bullet isn't like a fmj after the petals come off and the reamining bullet tumbles on thru ?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3523621/6

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Put this stuff in front of the guys on the Long Rage [Range] Hunting forum.

They have an answer to everything, and it is always to just keep shooting [THEIR WAY]!

The LRH guys don't want to get closer; no bragging rights there. And, they will only walk that long ways to where the game stood, NOT to where the game ended up.

(No bragging rights either in telling about follow-up hikes caused by long range-low velocity-bullet failure stories)

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
Put this stuff in front of the guys on the Long Rage [Range] Hunting forum.

They have an answer to everything, and it is always to just keep shooting [THEIR WAY]!

The LRH guys don't want to get closer; no bragging rights there. And, they will only walk that long ways to where the game stood, NOT to where the game ended up.

(No bragging rights either in telling about follow-up hikes caused by long range-low velocity-bullet failure stories)

You know this how? Do you have experience in long range hunting? What is you experience with low velocity bullet failure?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
JWP,

Don't give the guy the time of day he is a troll, Just like the author of this thread. Let them live in there own little world where they know everything. Plenty of good folks here to converse with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as I'm concerned, jwp need not prove anything here. His record speaks for itself. I'd bet he's forgotten more about hunting and shooting than this clown ever read.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I think the color is cool. The fact that you got 'em from dead animals says a lot, but lack of expansion does too.

These ultra premium bullets were developed to fill a niche in the market left when cup and core bullets didn't perform in super fast magnum cartridges. In my opinion (and I believe that everyone is entitled to their own) that is where they shine.

I personally don't care for the wear and tear on my shoulders and ears so I don't shoot magnums... to say nothing of the wear and tear on my wallet that these little chunks of gold would introduce.

Cool bullets. Definately make for sweet pics when driven fast enough. Those Whelen bullets woulda looked a lot cooler if they'd have been Interlocks or even Partitions shot quartering-to or -away... in my opinion. Even so, dead is dead, but in a Whelen I think there are better nails for that particular hammer.

Thanks for sharing!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nice friendly thread here. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

here's a beaver that got hit with a fmj. it acted like a knitting needle right ?
[Linked Image]

I don't have a dog in this argument or a desire to be involved but in my (limited) experience with FMJs they don't do much damage unless bone is hit. I suspect this beaver is no exception. I shot a few coyotes with 223 FMJs and they usually ran a good hundred yards before they died. When they did die right there, they were hit in the head or shoulder and bone splintage looked to be the cause of the massive damage.

I have also seen the same thing with dogs hit with my 340 Wby and tough "elk" bullets. With a .338 bullet through the lungs they don't just fold up instantly like they do with a good expanding .224 soft point.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
just got back from RSA. My Son shot a Kudu, Zebra, Warthog, Duiker and an Impala with a 7mm-08 using Barnes 140gr TSX's @ 2800 fps. Very minimal expansion. 4 out of 5 animals were shot thru the heart. The Zebra was shot thru the shoulders-Heart. 7mm hole in and 7mm hole out. Ran 120 yards before it died, not a single drop of blood!!!
I used .338 WM 225 TTSX's .338 hole in and about 3/4 inch exit hole, lots of blood.
Any one else experience similar problems with the TSX's
Mike

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm going to be developing a load for 225 gr. Tipped TSX's for my wife's .338 Win. I suppose it will fail as badly as all of the old original 225X's did on all of her one shot kills! grin I believe she's somewhere around 6 or 7 elk, 1 bear and 1 moose. Pretty poor performance by any measure. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I wouldn't know if they failed or not. I've never recovered one from an animal, and every one I've shot with a TSX died almost where it stood.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by maksmith
just got back from RSA. My Son shot a Kudu, Zebra, Warthog, Duiker and an Impala with a 7mm-08 using Barnes 140gr TSX's @ 2800 fps. Very minimal expansion. 4 out of 5 animals were shot thru the heart. The Zebra was shot thru the shoulders-Heart. 7mm hole in and 7mm hole out. Ran 120 yards before it died, not a single drop of blood!!!
I used .338 WM 225 TTSX's .338 hole in and about 3/4 inch exit hole, lots of blood.
Mike

Try the 110 grain TTSX for the 7-08 @ ~3200fps. You'll get much more expansion with the extra speed and the bigger nose cavity + polymer tip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up a box of those 110's to try out this year. They are practically the same length as a 140gr BTSP. Seems like every time I hear about a TSX not expanding much, it's the hollowpoint version, is hitting at a fairly low impact speed, and is below .30cal in diameter. I have had no expansion problems with the standard TSX, but I've only run them at high speeds (3,300+). My TTSX experience is limited to .308 and .338 versions, but MV's were at 2,900fps and expansion was always good.

Now with even more aplomb
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have been using the ttsx for a few years now with no complaints. Shot a wild boar in California with my 284 win loaded with the 140 ttsx, hit him in the neck, one shot kill with a one inch plus exit hole. Last December I shot my first bull elk at 270 yds with my 300 wsm using the 165 ttsx, it runs 3160 out of my Win m70, hit the shoulder going in, found bullet in hide on opposite side, dropped in his tracks.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Tail Hunter,
Thanks for the advice. I will try speeding up the lighter bullet and switch to the TTSX. Like I said in my original post I was very satisfied with the performance of the 225 TTSX I used in my .338WM. It was the 140 TSX in my Son's 7-08 that did not expand.
I normally shoot the TSX/TTSX's in larger calibers (above .338) This was our first go at using the TSX's in the smaller caliber.
HMMMM! Maybe if I am stuck on using the 140 grain bullet I will just have to go out and buy a 7mm mag or a 7mmSTW. LOL!

Last edited by maksmith; 06/19/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've only shot two cow elk with my .35 Whelen and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX. The first was in 2010 at about 150 yards. Elk dropped very fast at impact. Elk #2 was shot with the same load as before and dropped at impact. Range about 350 yards.What can I say when I'm running 100 percent? The load does 2710 FPS at the muzzle.
I have heard thoughthat speed is the monometal bullet's friend regarding proper performance. I realize two cow elk is not much for statisical proof but you can bet I'll most likely be using that .35 Whelen on elk again next year. Well maybe. I have two rifles that haven't been blooded yet and if I don't draw for deer I just may use one of those. JUst have to see how that works out.
Someone commented that theyd like to see a lead/jacketed bullet punch knitting needle holes. Well, I had that happen on the largest bodied Mule Deer I ever killed. Bullet was a Nosler 180 gr. Partition. The first shot cut a narrow groove in the top of the deer's heart without actually puncturing a hole in it. Shot #2 punched through both lungs. When I opened him up, the holes in the lungs looked like I'd poked him with a #2 pencil. No other damage except that tiny hole. I broke his neck with the last shot. So yes, stuff does happen and sometimes bullets just don't behave like they're supposed to.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I used the TSX 130 .277's on at least fifty plains game and had inconsistent expansion. This was over about an eight year period. About one in ten either expanded less than expected or the nose riveted to one side and failed to expand. The new TTSX seem to have solved that problem. Have used both 110 & 130 without problems.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tail_hunter
Originally Posted by maksmith
Mike

Try the 110 grain TTSX for the 7-08 @ ~3200fps. You'll get much more expansion with the extra speed and the bigger nose cavity + polymer tip.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 6 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,137
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.