Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Royce
Can you imagine the outcry if the government had done half as much to curtail the ability of average people to shoot and reload as the stockpilers have done?

The government has created the stockpilers, therefore the shortages and the outcry. Some just don't peel back enough layers to see what has happened. Start at the start.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
9 out of 10 hunters have never even heard of an Amax. This site is not a good sample of the hunting population. You can narrow it down even further, probably half of those on this site that tout the Amax as THE bullet have never actually shot an animal with one.

Narrow it down even further, probably half of those people aren't even shooting at ranges where a high B.C. bullet even creates a noticeable advantage.

I remember people scoffing at a Nosler bullet because it only had a .509 BC. (rolleyes)

Lots of good bullets still available the market.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Starline brass often has it's whole production run of brass preordered before they make it.... They post expected delivery dates (which have been very accurate). I have bought .40 S&W 10 MM .45 Auto Rimmed and .45 Colt brass that way over the past few years....

The last time I spoke with the nice lady working there she said they can't believe how long this buying spree has lasted.....

I can also understand why a company would not plunge ahead and spend 10s of Millions to expand their production facility when 5 or 10 years from now a huge legal attack could be launched against the reloading community.....

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by ratsnakeboogy
I understand Hornady's change of priority, what I don't understand is how the decision to stop production of several AMAX bullets makes sense? I haven't seen AMAX of any caliber in stock for 8 months. To me, that means they are in high demand. Why shut them down when that's what people are screaming for?

Or it could mean that they've not been produced in quite a while, demand is low, Hornady is merely making public knowledge what had already been a reality, and you (and I) run in circles (ie: hard core rifle loonys) whose demands are not indicative of the broader market place?

That'd be my bet, if I were a betting man.

I'm not, so I'll just continue to buy every box of Amax I come across and store 'em up so I don't run out.

Or it could mean that their production rates are lower for the plastic tip bullets compared to, say, hollow or soft point bullets and they are trying to maximize total production.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cant imagine Hornandy can even buy the machinery they need "off the shelf" would think even if they wanted to expand its not something that can be done on short order.....would rather do business with Hornandy which is telling their customers whats going on than other companies which are all likely doing the exact same thing just keeping their mouths shut about it....

Hornandy, and everyone else, got slammed almost over night and its not like they can buy the machinery to expand and as Mule Deer pointed out even if they did more than likely by the time they did this buying spree could flame out leaving them with a bunch of equipment costing them money and sitting idle....the way i see it they are in a no-win situation, course i also have run a business and dont look at the world through ideals....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornady didn't get to where they are because of schitty business decisions.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
After looking at the list,..exactly what are they continuing to make..?

Well now that we know what they won't be making, it would sure be nice to know what they will be making.

Ask and thou shalt receive:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...nd-150-bullet-types-for-balance-of-2013/

The list of what they are continuing to make is in the links on the page.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So what is their target audience? Does not appear to be hunters. Although it appears they're still producing .338 GMXs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The list of what Hornady is still making.
http://www.hornady.com/support/availability/production-list

Lots of 22 bullets and general hunting bullets on the list. Still making the 75 grain HPBT and 6mm 105 HPBT as well as plenty of "long range" bullets in different calibers.

What I found interesting is they are still manufacturing the 9.3mm 250 grain GMX....WTF, how many of those do you think they sell?

Last edited by prairie_goat; 07/09/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Lots of 22 bullets and general hunting bullets on the list. Still making the 75 grain HPBT and 6mm 105 HPBT as well as plenty of "long range" bullets in different calibers.

What I found interesting is they are still manufacturing the 9.3mm 250 grain GMX....WTF, how many of those do you think they sell?

I think those are because JB has compromising pictures of the owners...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I think those are because JB has compromising pictures of the owners...

Haha - yeah the whole 6 guys in the US who shoot 9.3s! wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 7mm list of bullets still in production is what gets me. Most of what I buy and others I know buy are 7mm pills and they're cutting it back to the 5 least desirable bullets?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah some of what they are continuing to build is a bit baffling (30 tc ammo? come on).

I'm wondering if their big bore stuff is built on big bore specific devices, as many of those offerings are still available. Otherwise I can't see how they would keep 500 Nitro Express ammo in production!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, I'm guessing some of those are round specific....just can't see keeping something set up for some of those if they could be pumping out .223 ammo on them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
John I mentioned this on another of these kook-fueled forums but even at this late date, the kooks were lined up at 0530 in the morning in front of Academy Sports in order to pillage the Tuesday ammo delivery truck. It's insane

If only these kooks would have the same concern over the shredding of the Constitution, we'd be better off.
Or, bring the Egyptian over here for a week or two. whistle

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Starline brass often has it's whole production run of brass preordered before they make it.... They post expected delivery dates (which have been very accurate). I have bought .40 S&W 10 MM .45 Auto Rimmed and .45 Colt brass that way over the past few years....

The last time I spoke with the nice lady working there she said they can't believe how long this buying spree has lasted.....

I can also understand why a company would not plunge ahead and spend 10s of Millions to expand their production facility when 5 or 10 years from now a huge legal attack could be launched against the reloading community.....

That is what is different this time than all the other times. This has gone of for years like a horse race turned into a round the world race.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dennis,

Unless you count the 1994 and 2008 panics as part of the same deal, it's been going on since late last fall, not years. That's when Sandy Hook happened and all the anti-gunners started making noises. Before then you could walk into any sporting goods store and buy a brick of primers or .22 ammo at normal prices.

I went to a local gun show during the summer 2008, during the first Obama panic. A guy I knew asked me what the problem was with primer availability, and I explained it was panic buying. The guy with him was a conspiracy theorist, and said it was due to Washington, that we didn't know what was going on "behind closed doors." I didn't try to argue with him, since he obviously had inside information--inside his head, that is. Within six months everything was back to normal.

It will take longer this time, because this panic is much deeper. What I can't figure out is why rimfire ammo became the object of desire. In both the 1994 (assault-rifle ban) and 2008 panics, primers were the biggest problem, but rimfire ammo never was affected.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John: The reason for the 22 shortage is due to the kook fringe's determination they are an essential component of their doomsday inventory, you know low noise so the Zombies won't come running...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gotcha! For some reason I forgot about the zombie invasion....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hell, the zombie invasion is already here. Just check those lines early mornings at WalMart, Cabela's, BassPro, etc.

If they don't have that zombified look to them, I dunno who does!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.