Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Modern bolt action rifles are generally rated at 65k.

With that in mind, do you want to chance it with his "super bolt" at 66k?

65K is about what numbers i have in my chart with a 2775fps for a 130gr.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every time (and this goes back to the 1930's) a wildcatter dreams up and loads a cartridge that gets much higher velocity than the case capacity says should be possible, the price always has been and always will be excessive pressure.

The old ICL Grizzly made higher velocities than the 300WBY, with a case that was essentially the same. Until someone pressure tested the loads.... OOPS! Back to the old drawing board....

I love wildcatting, built and still hunt with one of my own that I call the 340 Tyrannosaur. But case capacity X and bore area Y and bullet weight Z is always going to get you to exactly the same place unless a new powder has been developed that is more dense and more progressive in its burn than what we have now, and we have a LOT of great powders now! And in this scenario, the other 8 or ten cartridges that look like yours are going to also benefit from that same powder development. My 340 Tyrannosaur gets 100fps more velocity that a 340 WBY not because its case capacity is a tiny bit more, it is because we now have Reloader 25 and IMR 7828SSC that were not even dreamt of when old Roy W breathed life into his big 33. Well, that and Molybdenum Disulfide coatings on my bullets with PTFE treatments in my hand lapped cut rifled barrel. And even all that got me a relatively meager 100-150fps. I am under no illusion that MY 'magic' .338 cartridge is really and truly any more effective than the mighty - and excellent by the way - 340 Weatherby. I love it because it is MINE smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SanCalPigHunter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Modern bolt action rifles are generally rated at 65k.

With that in mind, do you want to chance it with his "super bolt" at 66k?

65K is about what numbers i have in my chart with a 2775fps for a 130gr.

Here's a hint: stick with factory AR pressures.

It's a free country and you are free to do what you want, including paying for reconstructive surgery after pieces of AR-15 tear through your face. I hear the eyepatch look is in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
"How many people have you killed?"

This is well past the JeffO level of stupid, and he bends the needle on the stupid meter.

No, it is what Limbaugh refers to as "Using absurdity to demonstrate the absurd". The "absurd" being your postulation that having killed a deer(s) had a [bleep] thing to do with the topic being discussed in this thread, which of course, happens to be a special talent your ignorant CA ass has in spades.

TAK..I was in the sandbox with 3rd ID...and as someone claiming you were there...it's absurd you even say something like that [bleep]. What was your MOS again? I can't believe anyone who was actually there talks like that....

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I got an answer from the developer over on the 68forum.

60,000PSI max using QL. But the person running QL must know how to set it up. Most people in the AR world think cartridges are loaded to 2.26 while everyone here knows PRI mags allow loading to 2.295 or 2.3" The other thing is QL does not work so well with the 6.8 bore especially with 5R rifling. The engraving force is lower and the bore area is larger. Comparing the 11 twist 4 groove barrels we sold to the 5R barrels we sell the 5R barrels usually run 60-80fps faster, some 90-100fps faster.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

60,000PSI max using QL. But the person running QL must know how to set it up. Most people in the AR world think cartridges are loaded to 2.26 while everyone here knows PRI mags allow loading to 2.295 or 2.3" The other thing is QL does not work so well with the 6.8 bore especially with 5R rifling. The engraving force is lower and the bore area is larger. Comparing the 11 twist 4 groove barrels we sold to the 5R barrels we sell the 5R barrels usually run 60-80fps faster, some 90-100fps faster.

If the barrels are running faster with the same loads, it's because they are generating more pressure.

For a guy who trumpets the physics of killing power, you sure seem to ignore the physics of pressure.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I dont understand all the hoopla in this thread, when they become available, chrono a box of factory loads, reload to that velocity and accept the little cartridge for what it is.

200 fps means nothing in the real world, would I like to be hit with a 110 gr TTSX at:

2800 fps.....NO
2600 fps.....NO
2400 fps.....NO
2200 fps.....NO crazy

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

If the barrels are running faster with the same loads, it's because they are generating more pressure.

For a guy who trumpets the physics of killing power, you sure seem to ignore the physics of pressure.

Are you addressing me as if i'm the developer again? Pressure is one part of the equation as so is resistance in the barrel caused by rifling type.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Have you shot the [bleep] thing? No, so STFU. Nice to tell folks about possible upcoming cartridges/changes etc etc. To pronounce said things that don't exist yet as better than, is a foolish endeavor

Facts trump guessing, always will.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
I dont understand all the hoopla in this thread, when they become available, chrono a box of factory loads, reload to that velocity and accept the little cartridge for what it is.

200 fps means nothing in the real world, would I like to be hit with a 110 gr TTSX at:

2800 fps.....NO
2600 fps.....NO
2400 fps.....NO
2200 fps.....NO crazy

Gunner

Look up what velocity those Barnes TTSX need to be going before they expand or instead create a pencil hole. Thats why i hope this round works out. I would like to hunt boar with a 120gr Barnes TTSX. I bought a couple of boxes for my grendel then looked at the reloadding guide and saw the velocities and compared them to the required impact velocity for the Barnes TTSX and shelved the boxes. Can't use them in the Grendel. They simply don't go fast enough.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

2800 fps.....NO
2600 fps.....NO
2400 fps.....NO
2200 fps.....NO crazy

Gunner

Look up what velocity those Barnes TTSX need to be going before they expand or instead create a pencil hole. Thats why i hope this round works out. I would like to hunt boar with a 120gr Barnes TTSX. I bought a couple of boxes for my grendel then looked at the reloadding guide and saw the velocities and compared them to the required impact velocity for the Barnes TTSX and shelved the boxes. Can't use them in the Grendel. They simply don't go fast enough.

Ok.

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

2800 fps.....NO
2600 fps.....NO
2400 fps.....NO
2200 fps.....NO crazy

Gunner

Compelling, so again no first hand experience.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

Ok.

Gunner

[/quote]

I'm using 123gr SST rounds for boar know but i like the idea of a copper bullet instead. My son't using Hog Hammer 223 rounds in our 5.56mm carbine that are running the barnes copper.

Last edited by SanCalPigHunter; 07/17/13.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Gunner

Ok.

Gunner

I'm using 123gr SST rounds for boar now but i like the idea of a copper bullet instead. My son't using Hog Hammer 223 rounds in our 5.56mm carbine that are running the barnes copper.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sorry for that. So you have used the 120 gr TTSX for hunting and killed something with it? Have you used the 110gr TTSX for hunting and killed something with it?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
In that case, go and load ALL your questionable 6.8's with 85 gr TSX's, use them for crackheads/HD, go buy yourself an AR-10 in 308W, load the 130 gr TTSX's to 2800 fps and kill the hell outta anything.

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Are you addressing me as if i'm the developer again? Pressure is one part of the equation as so is resistance in the barrel caused by rifling type.

Pig shooter, we are just trying to educate you so you have realistic expectations regarding what can, and cannot be done with a new wildcat.

We've seen the promises that never materialize, and know the tricks to maximize velocity.

Once you've lengthened the throat, lengthened the barrel, matched the most modern powder to the barrel length/bullet choice, and increased the case capacity, all that's left is to ramp up the pressure.

Since many of us on this forum own custom rifes and chronographs we've been testing what does, and does not work since the 80's. We are familiar with the effects of custom barrels and changes in OAL.

Oh by the way, if you increase OAL, which way does the pressure go?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SCPH, are you in a lead free zone? If not, there is also a 110gr Accubond, that several folks here have used on deer & pigs, out of 6.8's.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
SCPH, are you in a lead free zone? If not, there is also a 110gr Accubond, that several folks here have used on deer & pigs, out of 6.8's.

If a bill passes in the house all cali will be a condor zone snd lead free.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

2800 fps.....NO
2600 fps.....NO
2400 fps.....NO
2200 fps.....NO crazy

Gunner

Iv'e tried to back out of this idiocy.

But here you go, what Barnes says they need to be going not to pencil.

Rule of thumb and thats all. I've run a lot of barnes under what they claim impact speed has to be. Every last one has expanded. And I have seen pictures of some run faster than needed that did not...

phuggin computers are great though ain't they.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 65 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,727
Posts18,514,301
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.