Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The possum cops here in Kentucky switched from the M&P to the Glocks in .40 a couple of years ago. I overheard a couple of them talking at a shooting range one day, and they were fussing about the M&Ps breakage problems.
They never said WHAT parts were breaking, but that it was a problem they had from the git-go.

Yep, they had a short lived affair with the Smith and Wesson. They are having grief with their new Gen 4 Glocks rusting now.

Being cops, they probably never clean their own service weapon and there sure isn't much to rust on a Glock anyway! I've got three and never had a bit of a problem and most certainly having a hell of a time getting the polymer parts to corrode.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Being cops, they have their pistols hanging in a holster on gunbelts in all manner of weather conditions. Being the fish and wildlife type, they spend quite a bit of time on the lake as well and for some reason, irregardless of their maintenance regimen, they are experiencing rust on Generation 4 Glock pistols.

You have three and have had no problem. They have a thousand or so in the field and they have had problems.

By the way, I made no reference to polymer parts corroding.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm really impressed with Eezox for corrosion protection. I carry my LCP in a pocket holster and even with me sweating rust hasn't shown up.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Being cops, they have their pistols hanging in a holster on gunbelts in all manner of weather conditions. Being the fish and wildlife type, they spend quite a bit of time on the lake as well and for some reason, irregardless of their maintenance regimen, they are experiencing rust on Generation 4 Glock pistols.

You have three and have had no problem. They have a thousand or so in the field and they have had problems.

Since there are 120 counties in Kentucky, and one "possum cop" per county, and perhaps a couple of water patrol officers for the lakes, how can KDFWR have 1000 Gen IV Glocks afield?

Also, no such word as "irregardless".

By the way, I am a former KDFWR biologist.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time was the NCSHP carried a REAL 357

[Linked Image]

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KyWindageII

Since there are 120 counties in Kentucky, and one "possum cop" per county, and perhaps a couple of water patrol officers for the lakes, how can KDFWR have 1000 Gen IV Glocks afield?

Also, no such word as "irregardless".

By the way, I am a former KDFWR biologist.

I made the mistake of figuring your numbers on KSP numbers. If I were overly generous, I'll beg your pardon. That being the case, the chances of getting a Glock that will rust is even greater, since the KDFWR sample is remarkably smaller than I originally and mistakenly posted.

Also, to say that there is no such word as Irregardless is not quite true. Several online dictionaries have the word listed as "not standard" and probably a blend of regardless and irrespective.

While I would probably not have gone out on a limb to use that word in a doctorate thesis, I figured it would float here around the campfire.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Time was the NCSHP carried a REAL 357

[Linked Image]

Mike

I love that revolver.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You have to remember that a Leo puts on his weapon 5 to 7 days a week and wears it in all types of weather, a lot are not gunnies, so yea that they sometimes have rust problems. There is a small town near me named Bunn the chief of police was in the local hang out and you could see his S/W 10 and I would bet hat it would not fire or turn to the next chamber.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by arkypete
Wake up!
Mr. Browning solved all those issues with his model 1911.

Jim

Yep, I concur, especially the ones chambered in 10mm.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are some fine, well informed comments here.

I recently bought a Glock .40 S&W on the Fire. I believe that I may buy a .357 Sig barrel for it to extend its options. Neat cartridge.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never been a fan of a bottleneck pistol round anyway...
creates a problem that didn't exist..

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Did Glock change their finish, being there is a rust issue. I recall my gen 1 model 20 and model 21, and gen 2 model 23 had a copper like colored grease/lube on some parts.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Glock has stopped using tenifer. I don't know what kind of treatment they are using these days, but it isn't as resistant to rust as tenifer.

By the way, I'm guessing you already knew it, but the black finish on a Glock slide is not Tenifer. Tenifer was actually under the black finish.

The copper lube that Glock holds so dear is still in use.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
When did they stop using Tenifer.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Glock has stopped using tenifer. I don't know what kind of treatment they are using these days, but it isn't as resistant to rust as tenifer.

By the way, I'm guessing you already knew it, but the black finish on a Glock slide is not Tenifer. Tenifer was actually under the black finish.

I guess I'll stick with my gen 3's I've had for several years. I was considering selling them and buying myself a set of gen 4's.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The possum cops here in Kentucky switched from the M&P to the Glocks in .40 a couple of years ago. I overheard a couple of them talking at a shooting range one day, and they were fussing about the M&Ps breakage problems.
They never said WHAT parts were breaking, but that it was a problem they had from the git-go.

Welcome to "every LE agency/department USA."

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by viking
When did they stop using Tenifer.

I haven't talked to anyone who could get a straight answer from Glock on that. My Armorer certification has expired, so I haven't had a chance to find out for myself.

I'd say anything with USA stamped on the slide has very little chance of having Tenifer. Those I would definitely stay away from.

4th Generation guns are suspect in my opinion, regardless of the country on the slide.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by garyh9900

I guess I'll stick with my gen 3's I've had for several years. I was considering selling them and buying myself a set of gen 4's.

If I had a set of Gen 3 guns that were working for me, I'd keep them over the Gen 4's.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We just switched to G 31 357 sigs about two months ago. Ive probably shot mine more than anyone else. Ive put probably 2,000 rounds through mine with no problems so far. As far as the " cops dont clean their own gun comment". That ahows just how much of a turd eating retard you are. One of the FIRST things we wree taught during the firearms block of the academy was proper, frequent and routine firearms maintenence. Mine gets cleaned once a week whether it needs it or not. Duty ammo gets replaced about every 6 weeks and magazines get taken apart and cleaned at the same intervals. The only complaint I have had is that the TFO sights we switched to. Havent held up. I lost the tritium bar from mu front sight during a range session. So I spent my own money and bought some trijicons. Problem solved.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I think bottle necked rounds are great for autos, they feed slicker than owl poop.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,841
Posts18,478,128
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.