Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You make me laugh. Your truck and my truck are worlds apart. Geographics I guess. You're truck is fast, mine goes up $hitty Montana mountain roads in the winter. The only thing I pull is 2-wheel drives out of bad spots. Not sure why you insist on the comments you use though. My throat doesn't hurt, and I'm not a nob gobbler. Again. Carry on. mtmuley

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's real true about 4wd. In snow country it's real often you'd be in trouble without 4wd. Sometimes you won't even get down the street, and times you wouldn't get home. And sure's h#ll can't get up the driveway. Hardly any 2wd trucks around here.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Here we've got just as many 2wd as 4. Most of the 4wds you see are the idiots going out and sinking their brand new trucks in mud and screwing up the road. Theres a few that actually need them and use them, but most never see 4x4 engaged. We get snow 2 or 3 days a year if were lucky and not enough to stop a 2wd with decent tires on it. Ive got 4x4 out behind the house but about the only action it sees is sucking down gas and for some reason it makes my phone ring with text messages that say "come pull me out man".

how can they prove its solicitation of a prostitute? I gave the whooor the money in a birthday card.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you can find a low mileage 2007 LBZ Dmax I'd get it. They did not have the DPF but they did have a cat and the EGR. I had one and loved it wish I still had it. I currently have a 2012 F-250 with the 6.7 which so far I like it a lot.

The Dodge around that year range are good. I have some friends that have them and they like them. They are die hard cummings guys but they claim their mileage is on par with the PowerStroke and the Dmax. Mileage number range from 9-14 loaded and 15-19-21 unloaded depending on the right foot factor.Ofcourse these are stock trucks.

The maintenance cost vary from truck to truck. Example the PowerStroke holds more oil than the Dmax and has 2 fuel filters. Overall theres not much difference between the Dmax I had and the new Ford. The DEF is an added cost but I new what I was buying.

magnums the only way to shoot
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
[quote=FAIR_CHASE] Adding a 9th injector did little to help the emission issues.

Where is this 9th injector at? I read a lot of information about the DPF before I bought my 2012 F250 and never seen it it any of the Tech briefs regarding DPF's.

The fuel mpg loss comes from the extra fuel injected into the engine during the regen mode and the EGR is open more during this to help raise EGT's buy raising the intake air temp. This what I have read several times. Ford's tech information reads the same. Maybe the 2012's are different from the older DPF trucks? I hope I haven't been reading inncorrect information.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
9th in ejector in in the DPF. Instead of flooding the engine with raw diesel on the exhaust stroke to get it to the DPF it is just directly injected there. This prevents excess wear and tear when the raw diesel washed the oil film off the cylinder walls, and is an all around more efficient way to have a regen. At least that's the story I have been told.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The Powerstroke, DMax, Cummings does not have a injector in the DPF. If you find and look at factory diagrams they do not show it at all. The lines that you see going to the filter are pressure sensors before and after. Aslo there are temperature sensors to read temps at the filter and after. Some diesel vehicles use differentail pressure, or mileage, or gallons of fuel burned.The Ford,GM, Ram use pressure difference. From what I've read they have been doing since 07.5 (GM)and 08 on Ford on Ram.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I just found some info about the extra injector. The 2011 GM LML and newer is the only one that is using the extra injector to inject fuel into the exhaust. The 6.7 Powerstroke and the 6.7 Cummings this is why the newer PowerStroke and Cummings get better fuel economy than the older DPF trucks.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You mean this is why they get poorer mileage than non-DPF trucks. All other things equal, a DPF truck will not get as good of mileage as a non DPF truck, 9th injector or not. When talking about the 9th injector above, I was referring to LML's. I don't know how the other brands do it. If they still flood the cylinder on the exhaust stroke, that is rumored to contribute to excess fuel consumption, oil dilution, and premature wear as compared to a 9th injector system.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The newer DPF with DEF get better mileage than the older DPF truck with out DEF. Ofcousre the older non DPF trucks get better mileage than the DPF& DEF trucks for sure. I had a 07 LBZ that got very good mileage. One of my camping buddies had a 09 F-250 6.4 that got very poor mileage but Ford updated the program and mileage did improve some. I bought a 2012 F-250 Sept. 2012 and after he rode with me a few times and saw what the mileage was he traded trucks a few months later. Granted the computer mileage if off from hand calculated by 1.0 mpg high from what I have seen so far. My friend tells me his new truck gets around 3-4 mpg better than his old truck. Which most of the time mine gets 14-16 mpg rural driving and 17-19 highway running 70-72 mph.

I don't know if Ford or Ram'S method is better but the changes from their older design far as mileage goes seems better than what they had before. This is my first Powerstroke so only time will tell if I buy another down the road. However I still wish a lot of days I still had my old LBZ back. From what I have read and talking with other owners this DPF and DEF stuff has hurt all diesels no matter what brand. I currently have around 19k miles on mine so it's just breaking in good.

I was trying to offend in anyway just wanting to exchange some info.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.