Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dons99
This one might be more balanced for you.
http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/gmfood/overview.php

Good read.

I quoted the conclusion.

"Conclusion

Genetically-modified foods have the potential to solve many of the world's hunger and malnutrition problems, and to help protect and preserve the environment by increasing yield and reducing reliance upon chemical pesticides and herbicides. Yet there are many challenges ahead for governments, especially in the areas of safety testing, regulation, international policy and food labeling. Many people feel that genetic engineering is the inevitable wave of the future and that we cannot afford to ignore a technology that has such enormous potential benefits. However, we must proceed with caution to avoid causing unintended harm to human health and the environment as a result of our enthusiasm for this powerful technology.
"

A true farmer wants to use as little spray as possible. That's no secret.

Long term use(life) is just that, preserve it.

Last edited by SamOlson; 10/08/13.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you SPIT after using the term, "Enviro crowd" ?

...your 'Friend" sounds like some sorta' incompetent cretin, with little in the way of growing skills, or knowledge. Some real [bleep]' achiever that,....grows bug infested garbage ?

He doesn't eat his own produce or grains.

Sounds like a goddam DIRTBAG, if you were to ask me.

I am CLUELESS as to figuring out what's up with your attitude, and really don't mind remaining so.

Why not cut your losses, and give it a [bleep]' rest for the night ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, he a incompetent cretin, making money.
Seems you can name call, stomp your foot and give off attitude fairly well too.
But you did admit you are clueless, so I'll let it go.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by heavywalker
[Linked Image]

Bingo. Corn is corn, unless it has a worm in it. Then it's hog corn.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Guess Im a little sensitive about this kind of thing after my wife came down with cancer few years ago. Did a lot of reading and hard to believe the [bleep] they do to & put in our food.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
More and more roundup resistant weeds already. When you drive through Georgia cotton country you will see the mexicans out in the fields completely covered in heavy clothes and gloves manually pulling the pig weed out of the fields. The weed is completely immune to roundup and is really nasty stuff. It will blister the hide off you if you rub against it. What's bad is that there is a generation of farmers coming along who don't know how to farm without roundup and as roundup effectiveness fades the skills and seed to feed us all will be lacking in the farmers who are learning their trade today. Gmo monoculture and roundup may be the thing that kills us all in the end when it all collapses. Few varieties of seed and total dependence on herbicides leaves us very vulnerable to disease wiping out our food supply.
Well said.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
More and more roundup resistant weeds already. When you drive through Georgia cotton country you will see the mexicans out in the fields completely covered in heavy clothes and gloves manually pulling the pig weed out of the fields. The weed is completely immune to roundup and is really nasty stuff. It will blister the hide off you if you rub against it. What's bad is that there is a generation of farmers coming along who don't know how to farm without roundup and as roundup effectiveness fades the skills and seed to feed us all will be lacking in the farmers who are learning their trade today. Gmo monoculture and roundup may be the thing that kills us all in the end when it all collapses. Few varieties of seed and total dependence on herbicides leaves us very vulnerable to disease wiping out our food supply.

Geez, I always thought they wore heavy shirts and gloves to protect themselves from the vicious thorns on cotton plants.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the people that are going out to a place like Crossfireloops or Scott f's and actually looking at the crop in the field, then picking what they want, are doing it right.
The vast majority though are in a metro area "market" or high priced food Co-Op store, far from the field. Then they are at the mercy of believing what they are being told by the salesman.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wageslave
Yeah, he a incompetent cretin, making money.
Seems you can name call, stomp your foot and give off attitude fairly well too.
But you did admit you are clueless, so I'll let it go.

Making money,.......

yup, that's our ultimate purpose for being here, right ?

.....nothing else matters much... ( like the QUALITY of one's work, maybe? )

Seems like our value systems may be slightly at odds, Bubba.

GTC.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We spray our wheat crop one time for weeds.
Long before it ever makes a kernel. Months later we harvest the crop.

Honestly I don't think there is any danger in the grain. Cancer/health, environmental or otherwise.

The now illegal chemicals of old were way more dangerous.

Illegal for a reason.

Direct exposure(soaking through your skin) to the concentrated 100 proof chemical of old was not a good thing.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Amazing treatments these days, hopefully she will be okay.

Skin cancer took my grandpa(a farmer), breast cancer almost got my mom.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't sell or grow food, seed or feed.
I do sell labor, so quality there, is a way to make more money.
I do admit to liking a paycheck, also.
America, sadly, is adept at taking hard earned money and giving it to the non-working.
I do not value that system.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lied.
I do have a garden.
I do not sell it's production.
I feel better, now.

P.S. Still picking tomatoes and cukes....had to cover them for a couple nights last week. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Somebody needs to invent alfalfa that grasshoppers and deer won't eat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had yellow jacket, hornet nirvana around here this year...........
The boys said you could watch in the bulk tank or better yet in the truck box and the bees were dive bombing those wounded hoppers that went in the combine.
Worst bee year in anyone's memory here.
You could absolutely not eat outside because you were getting attacked.......
Stayed that way all summer till it got cold and wet a couple weeks ago.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wife's good to go now but pretty scarey there for awhile. Sorry to hear about your grandpa but great to hear about you mom.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good deal.

Yeah, who really knows for sure what will kill a person when it comes to the 'unknown'.

There was a recent study done that said people in rural communities had a higher chance or getting alzheimer's.

One theory said maybe it was due to spray/chemical exposure.

Lots of speculation.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Let's all keep in mind that there never was a golden age of pre-industrial food.

People used to die like flies from contaminated food. Refrigeration alone has balanced out a lot of negatives in the modern food industry.

Bottom line; fewer Americans die from eating supper.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Weed resistance to herbicides is quite common and not just limited to glyphosate. The real mystery is why it has taken so long to start showing up. Most people act like this glyphosate is the first chemical that has had this happen. Most people also seem to think that there are not other chemicals besides glyphosate that us Aggies use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by eh76
you realize that peeker has the 4 of us on ignore...

I give a FRA what TRH is up to,......

making a joke out of sound, viable and profitable Ag. Ventures, based on PROVEN organic practice should be beneath you, Kieth.

This [bleep]' GMO and Chemical "Agri-business" approach is doing our creeks, rivers, and soil bank little (if any) good, and there IS a middle road,.......

I'll pop some pics ma�ana of the various bags and jugs that share my patch with the Goat and Alpaca (and Horse, Cow, and Chicken) chit.

Yes, you'll even see some 16-16-16 eek.

There's some glysophate in a sprayer, too,..... eek eek eek

This "Bug Infested garbage" innuendo is STUPID, and childish in the bloody extreme.

GTC

I get mine from nearby dairies and a feedlot; probably is loaded up with antibiotics and steroids...

I don't do any spraying anymore. Bugs gotta eat, too. grin

I loved the photos of the older berry variety. There are some blackberry bushes up in Virginia City that go back over 100 years in origin. They are isolated, and I'm going to try to harvest some seed from them. As isolated as I am from any other blackberry bushes, I believe I can keep them pure as a real heirloom variety.

The berries are small, but the flavor is so stupendous that they completely eclipse anything the commercial growers can offer.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Let's all keep in mind that there never was a golden age of pre-industrial food.

People used to die like flies from contaminated food. Refrigeration alone has balanced out a lot of negatives in the modern food industry.

Bottom line; fewer Americans die from eating supper.

Very true. The "Good 'Ol days" weren't so good.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.