-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, I've been a climber, backpacker and mountain hunter my whole life. It's no secret I love Kimber MT rifles. But there's an end to where "light" makes sense and begins to become a Quixotic Pursuit.

To me, the Kimber Mtn Ascent is in the "Quixotic" category.

At the end of the day, a rifle has to settle down for the shot, and since I find a stock Kimber 308 MT to be at the ragged edge of light, I suspect a lot of folks are like me and will pass on the Mtn Ascent as just too much of a good thing.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Agreed Brad, Like I mentioned in another post about large objectives, Americans are guilty of thinking if a little of something is good, A lot must be better.

There's always a trade off.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by plainview
I've not been able to find one in other than .308 or .270 win. I'm holding out for the 30.06 version but now it's no longer listed on Kimber's website.

Kimber's website shows the 84L chambered in 270, 280AI, and 30-06.

Curious where you heard they discontinued the 30-06.

The 84L, yes. But the Mountain Ascent only shows the .308. (and I like .308's...I just wanted it in the 30.06 instead)

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

The 84L, yes. But the Mountain Ascent only shows the .308. (and I like .308's...I just wanted it in the 30.06 instead)

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84l

Scroll down to find what you seek. They make an 84L Ascent.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by turkish

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84l

Scroll down to find what you seek. They make an 84L Ascent.

Thanks. What was lost is now found.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree that 'light' can go too far. However, if I could move weight from the action area to the end of the barrel where it would contribute to stability I believe you could go lighter than the Montana. A little anyway. Other factors there such as the cartridge and recoil would come into play though. An example would be going to a carbon fiber mag box, Ti bolt to shave a few ounces, then adding iron sights. Might be a smidge lighter overall, yet as stable, or more.

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I would like to try out one of those 84L Montanas. Had a 'regular' 84L in '06 for a while. Always looking for my 'perfect' hunting rifle even though if I did find one, it'd be a sad day. Too much fun trying to find 'the one'.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
I agree that 'light' can go too far. However, if I could move weight from the action area to the end of the barrel where it would contribute to stability I believe you could go lighter than the Montana. A little anyway. Other factors there such as the cartridge and recoil would come into play though. An example would be going to a carbon fiber mag box, Ti bolt to shave a few ounces, then adding iron sights. Might be a smidge lighter overall, yet as stable, or more.

Don't disagree, but we're dealing with "what is" not "what could be."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

Have you owned an 84M Montana and 84L Montana at the same time?

Would appreciate your thoughts on handling between the two if you done both. I know the 8400 feels awkward to me but its been awhile since I've seen an 84L around.

Jason

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=GreatWaputi]Ask the dumbass TAK how that rifle shoots now it's in competent hands? The biggest flaw the kimber he owned had was the idiot pulling the trigger. [/quote

Careful. He will tell you that some celebrity shooter wont allow kimbers( input any item he has heard bad things about). On their range. Then call you clueless for politely telling him to piss in the wind]

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad

At the end of the day, a rifle has to settle down for the shot, and since I find a stock Kimber 308 MT to be at the ragged edge of light, I suspect a lot of folks are like me and will pass on the Mtn Ascent as just too much of a good thing.

I agree.

The 84M Montana, especially in larger calibers, is almost too light to shoot really well from field positions. My only experience with the Mountain Ascent is holding one in a gun store, but it seemed to be too much of a good thing, and I strongly suspect it would be really difficult to shoot well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm another one with a 7mm-08 Montana that wasn't worth the price of admission. S/N KM195XX. For a while I assumed it was my bench technique.

To summarize, the barrel was rough inside, with not-so-well formed rifling, according to the borescope. No bedding compound either, just dropped in the stock. Three 120 Ballistic tips went into about 4" from a cold, fouled barrel, fired very slowly. Let the barrel warm up, and heck, it would put 3 into one hole. Carrying a barrel warmer would seem to add excessive weight, however smile

I fire lapped it and bedded it with Brownells steel bed (which FWIW is almost a perfect color math to the stock). So now it's doing 2" from a cold fouled barrel. It seems to like 140's a little better than 120's. I still think my bench technique needs work; getting more horizontal stringing now.

I'll keep fiddling with it I guess, for this season. Next year, unless I suddenly have some epiphany, it will get a better barrel - which is what it should have had, for $1000. smirk

Kimber designs really cool, interesting, attractive guns, then cuts corners building them, IMO.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tex n cal,

I've seen horizontal stringing occur often with shooters that aren't getting the rifle butt in the shoulder pocket...often it's short armed guys or women that are trying to get into the scope better and let the butt rest on outer shoulder or upper arm....recoil slides the butt down the arm etc....I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.....

My Montana 338 Federal has to really be tucked into the shoulder pocket against a good cheek weld.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by VernAK
Tex n cal,

I've seen horizontal stringing occur often with shooters that aren't getting the rifle butt in the shoulder pocket...often it's short armed guys or women that are trying to get into the scope better and let the butt rest on outer shoulder or upper arm....recoil slides the butt down the arm etc....I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.....

My Montana 338 Federal has to really be tucked into the shoulder pocket against a good cheek weld.

Yes, 84M Montana's will make more than a few spruce up their form and technique.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Ever heard of Kimber Roulette, this is the 2K version of the game.

Laffin

[Linked Image]

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK
Tex n cal,

Who me? short armed? grin

Good tip, I will watch for it next trip - though like I say, when the barrel warms up it starts stacking them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would say the 84L balanced better for me. It felt like there was more weight forward in it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about the 84M Classic Select? I'm about to get one in 7-08 and wonder if they are the same barreled action as the montana or if it has a heavier barrel.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Kimber Mtn. Ascent in 280 Ackley. Had to play around with some loads to get it right. 62 grains H4831SC and a 140 grain Barnes Triple Shock works in that rifle. 3 shots under an inch with a cold bore. Shot an animalope with it so far. Maybe a muley next. Also have an 8400 Montana 300 WSM and a Classic 270 WSM that I have killed many elk, deer, and antelope with. I've never had a problem. Guess I've been lucky. I really like my Mountain Ascent. Never had a rifle with a weed burner before and I actually like the recoil reduction it's just really loud so you have to wear good ear protection. Just my experience.

Last edited by sheephunter2; 10/21/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
How about the 84M Classic Select? I'm about to get one in 7-08 and wonder if they are the same barreled action as the montana or if it has a heavier barrel.

Same barrel and action as the Montana, just CM instead of SS.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 812 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.