Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I guess it depends on your world view. Our culture, our society, and our country is dying for lack of hearing right and wrong, absolute truth and untruth. It has been drinking the Kool aid of relative values for a half century now and the blood work is getting much worse. The patient is sick and getting sicker.

I have two adult daughters so I can role play here. As an earnestly "practicing" Christian, I read in the Bible that homosexuality is an abomination to God. It has very clear words concerning this "lifestyle". There is no equivocating concerning this subject. If I were to learn this about either of my daughters and loving them as I do, I would engage them concerning their very serious moral position. At the same time I'd be exquisitely aware of some of my own sins that are just as abhorrent to God so would flee from taking any position of moral authority in doing so.

Thus, my love would not ebb nor would I banish them either physically or emotionally. While we can not judge hearts as God does, we can judge actions. We do all the time; I would judge the action but I would hope with a good deal of love.

Good post

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
If I were to believe in a God, I'd like to think he'd ask who the f**k I thought I was in judging others who differed from my preconceived notions.

Well, if you truly believed in that God of the Bible, your preconceived notions would be those HE conceived. As the POTTER, HE has been known in times past "to take that tone" (if not those words) with us pots who differed with HIS notions. Though HE is forgiving and long suffering, there is a point beyond which that does not work out well.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by isaac
Playing off another thread, I was curious as to the opinions of the membership as to this question:

If your son or daughter told you they were gay and in love with someone of the same sex, would that somehow change the love you have for that child?

If your best friend said the same thing to you, would the friendship change?

IMO, true love and true friendship can not be impacted by such a dynamic. For those who believe it can, please help me to understand how that irreparable void occurs.

Yea it can. Mostly because I don't spend time with people that don't think like me.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 700LH
Unconditional love does not necessarily mean unconditional acceptance or approval.

There you have it.

My youngest son "came out" when he was 17. I still love him but I cannot approve of his lifestyle.

Unconditional love is just that.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Love is first a choice, you choose to love them...or not.

If it's unconditional, you have chosen to love them regardless of whatever emotional whirlpools come.

The popular concept of "true love" is backwards...growth follows the choice, rather than movie version that it can be found.

Folks maintain relationship by standing on the past choices they have made after everything else has been washed away by the crisis.

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a few friends and family who are gay... Althoght I may not agree with their lifestyle choices they are still my friends and family... and if ANYONE f'ck'd with them they'd be f'c'ing with me... Just my beliefs and choice... I'd NEVER turn my back on them just because I don't agree with their life choice... Just sayin'

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Plenty of conditions on a real friendship. Being of like mind is certainly a condition of being a friend imo.

Last edited by wisturkeyhunter; 01/09/14.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Have female friends, one my high school sweetheart, and relatives who are gay and it matters not to me. They are good people that would take care of me on a New York minute. Same would go for my children.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No way an honest person could say their kid turning out a homo would not have an effect on them. It just goes so hard against the grain, smacks down any thought of grand kids, and makes you think where you went wrong.
Not saying the kid should be kicked out of a parent's heart or home, but it's unrealistic to say there would be no effect.

Sam......

IC B3

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
No doubt as to impact and effect, Sam. It's a comforting day when a dad sees his son bringing females over to the house.

For me, shunning a spouse is doable but not one of my children or best friends.

I'm grateful I've not been confronted with the dynamic. My wife has a 50 plus year old friend who is gay and she told us yesterday that her father hasn't spoken to her for over 20 years.
I found that remarkable. I tried to put myself into her father's shoes but they wouldn't fit.

At the same time, I understand Gunner's take on things. It's what makes for horse races, I guess.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure 'true' love can be conditional. I'll bet that Jeffery Dahmer's Mom saw him in a different light.
I think that the homosexual life style is a choice rather then a birth condition. Like the person who decides to live in the mountains, as native/mountain man, or decides to live in a commune, or some other less then optimal life choice. I'll not condem that choice nor will I get in the way of the consequences of those choices.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True love must be unconditional or else it is not love but some sort of a "prize" that must be won or kept by some act of the other person. Pure love, or agape love, is the love of God towards man.

Agape love does not mean freedom of punishment or consequences by the person loved, there are consequences but God loves us even while we're breaking His heart.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive only been around a few gay men, none that I can say I loved. One, a step uncle who I really never got to know. Because of his lifestyle, I kept my distance. Being honest, I think things would change, because I dont want to be around that type of thing.

That said, I did have a woman that I dated in school that after a failed marriage turned gay. Then bisexual. Now has come full circle and only likes men, again. We no longer talk because of some other issue that I spoke of here, but I never treated her any different. I asked myself why a couple times. And I cant answer that. And ive always had that double standard, treating gay men as filth yet gay/bisexual women as something to conquer. I no longer seek that lustful fantasy as I used to, long been fulfilled. But I still see the two on different planes. No love involved maybe? Who knows.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by LBP

I would be so disappointed I'm not sure I could fellowship with them. I am raising my sons as Christians and seeing that God calls homosexuality an abomination that is what I teach them. I would continue to pray for them as I do for any other number of things.

I struggle with this and have given it some thought. Humans tend to "rank" our sin from almost acceptable to downright despicable, with homos registering on the Super Evil end of the spectrum.

Does God view our sin that way.? What I get from scripture is, sin is sin is SIN...

We are all sinners, and sin all the time, even when we don't want to. Paul was struggling with sin in Romans 7. It makes me feel better that he was struggling with it as well...

While I find Homosexuality disgusting and a perversion of Nature, is it any more of a Sin than Coveting your neighbors possessions or having an affair with someone other than your wife.?

Just some tough questions that have crossed my mind lately...

Deerwhacker, I agree with you on every point except that we sin all the time. For this to be true the Scripture that says "He that is in us is greater than he that is in the world" would have no meaning. In our goal to become more Christ like I believe that it is possible to go for quite some time without sinning. We are never totally free from our sin nature so long as we are alive but we are not slaves to sin once we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Think about it.

Last edited by MColeman; 01/10/14.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wouldn't bother me, in fact I'd welcome it. My friend can now take my wife shoe shopping so I don't have to go....

How about a BEST friend that didn't honor his mother? A true friend that had an affair? A true friend that has seen a hot chick and lusted at her?

I'm pretty sure no one here would have a friend or family member they would talk to if 'picking' them was based on sin.

That said, much like anti-gun, anti-hunting, Obama types that I don't have anything in common with, I think I'd have a tough time with the in common thing with a gay friend.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been studying on this a spell, so my question is not all love conditional? There were some "conditions" that made you love them in the first place that likely varies from person to person, so there is probably some "condition" that will make you stop loving that person. Again what that condition is will likely vary from person. If there were not conditions to loving a person, then you would love everybody. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I likely could shun a child who, as a propensity, carried out hate on another but not one who simply loved differently than I do.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Family can be cull.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yup,when someone is dead to me I have no problem breaking ties...
that course of action has nothing to do with ones sexual oriantaion

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.