Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Furprick
Originally Posted by MColeman
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.

Wouldn't 'young women ' suffice ?

Sure. Why does it bother you? We made more calls to blacks than whites. We didn't discriminate. What if said that she was Chinese? I think you have chosen an apt screen name...except for the 'fur' part...and it was not woMEN...it was just one.

Last edited by MColeman; 01/29/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mickey- Some folk are just not used to people making a distinction when referring to people of one shade or another.

Just regional thing I suppose.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hope you and yours are well, also, Dwayne.

I believe my worst one was a young man, 19 YO as I recall, whom we had hired only a couple days before. I was Foreman at a large steel Fab Shop, and I put him to swamping for our yard truck driver, who was his friend.

They were unloading a 10,000# bundle of angle iron with a bridge crane when the chain sling broke, falling right across his middle. I was cradling his head and shoulders as guys were prying on the bundle to get another chain under it to lift it off him.

He was looking up at me and trying to speak and his eyes just glazed over. The Paremedics came and officially he died on the way in, but I believe he died when the light left his eyes.

That was in 1971, but anytime I hear a tremendous crash like the sound the angle iron made hitting the concrete, it seems I can see his face just for an instant.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah whitey lives in Canada where they don't have black folks laugh

Black folks describe themselves by shade, light skinned, dark skinned it's not being racist.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Saw a man get killed. He was black, for those of you keeping score.

Saw a woman kill herself, she was white, for those of you keeping score.

Happened to arrived shortly after the fact a bunch of times, but only saw those two cross the great divide.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Furprick
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.

Wouldn't 'young women ' suffice ?

No, it appears from what Mickey wrote that there was only ONE young black woman.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Mickey- Some folk are just not used to people making a distinction when referring to people of one shade or another.

Sounded to me like PSA just letting the world know that he not only was above such but that he heartily condemned anybody that made that distinction. If I had first said 'a woman' nobody would have known that she was black. wink She still got the best treatment we could give anybody.....at no charge.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What Mickey sees in his mind's eye when he recalls it is a Young, Black, woman.

To relate it otherwise would lack the poignancy of the way he told it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Esox357
You can watch 100 deaths but "ONE" tends to and will always stick out for some reason? Never understood that? Something makes it different?

The smell.

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Amen.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Sounded to me like PSA just letting the world know that he not only was above such but that he heartily condemned anybody that made that distinction. If I had first said 'a woman' nobody would have known that she was black. wink She still got the best treatment we could give anybody.....at no charge.

I hear ya.

After moving to Colorado from Georgia, I was relating a story about a black kid. Some girl piped up "why's he have to be a black kid", with out breaking stride I replied " I suppose because both his parents were ni$$ers".

The look on her face was priceless.

Regardless, I think most get you.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Man, heavy thread, really makes a guy stop and think.

Overhead 'tension', tow straps/chains breaking, the odd cow/horse/4 wheeler situation, car accident, run-over by something, getting in a hurry, machinery.

I heard on the news today some poor ice fisherman hit a pressure ridge(at night) with his four wheeler and died.

Earlier this Winter someone down the road got squashed by a round bale and died.

I wouldn't work around people I didn't trust. Or at least really keep an eye on them and what they are doing.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
The more I read of your posts, the better I like you.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Esox357
You can watch 100 deaths but "ONE" tends to and will always stick out for some reason? Never understood that? Something makes it different?

The smell.

Gunner

Yeah, Bud! Been there and smelled that lots! Phew.

And I think the reason Mickey called her a black woman was . . . . . because she was a black woman. I can tell scores of stories about people who were either Indian men, Indian women as well. It is one of the memories that comes back as details your mind remembers. Not a racial thing at all.

So "Why did she have to be a young, black woman?"

She didn't HAVE to be, but she was.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
curdog;
Hopefully this finds you and yours acceptably well this snowy and slick January afternoon sir.

I've been fortunate thus far into my life - will turn 52 this year - in that I've never had anyone expire while I was right there.

For a number of years now I've been an Occupational First Aid guy at work and carry a go bag in my vehicles, so I've stopped at a couple good wrecks over the years.

One that stands out was an older chap who'd rolled a Pontiac Solstice at least 3 times. The crazy thing was he had this techno pop/disco music blaring and I couldn't get a pulse with the entire car shaking from the tunes.

The doors wouldn't open and for whatever reason the airbags hadn't deployed - but the gas cap and cover were gone. Funny what you remember on these details.

Anyway I could see he'd taken a mighty blow to the head and as a result he was a GCS of 2 when I first gloved up and made a shaky 3 before the local volunteer firemen got there.

I couldn't do much for him as it turned out curdog, but I had the distinct impression he was about to make the last leg of the journey so to speak.

There was another accident where the chap had already gone, but again I wasn't there until after.

Philosophically speaking I think I'd be OK attending anyone other than family or folks close to me, but with all things, only riding that one down would tell for sure how I fared.

Thanks for the thought provoking thread this afternoon curdog and all the best to you folks down there.

Dwayne

Ya, must be a regional difference!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never saw anyone killed thankfully, but I held my Mom's hand as the time between her breaths got longer and longer until she just stopped breathing. This after having to make the gut wrenching decision to remove her life support.
However there was a peace in the room and I had a profound sense of "others" being in the room. I believe the angels were there to carry her to the arms of her Lord. I feel for tjose with no hope and cannot imagine how they handle death.

I think it would actually be harder with someone I didn't know. I feel for you guys that have been there and done that. Especially witnessing an accident that costs a life.

Last edited by snubbie; 01/29/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brother Keith;
It's ironic that a few of us have mentioned specific memories that stand out in incidents such as we've been sharing.

In mine, for the life of me I can't recall the older fellow's face, but vividly recall looking down at my right elbow and seeing the gas cap door gone as well as the gas cap - and of course smelling the fumes.

That coupled with the cranked up tunes - which were 40 years too young for this guy, or so I thought.

Anyway I was going through working on him by the numbers so to speak and in the back of my mind thinking that the whole situation with no gas cap wasn't optimum.

Did you know you can pull the keys out of one of those Solstice's and the music keeps going? I didn't up until then anyway.

We had some memorable incidents at work too involving saws and such that I can see as I type.

Folks surely have a wide range of reactions to pain stimulus, that much I know for certain.

Anyway I'm sure my few MVAs are only a couple shifts in the wrong AO when one is an EMT or LEO.

The son of a good friend is now an EMT in Calgary but he cut his teeth on the Hobbema Reserve and he pretty much saw it all there.

All the best to you and your fine family Brother Keith - may the last accident we attended be just that....

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Witnessed three deaths myself. The first was a man who was ejected from his truck going down the highway. He came to a stop a good 60 yards from the highway when he smacked into an oak tree in front of the Chinese restaurant I had just walked out of. He wasn't dead immediately upon impact and he didn't want to die either. I watched his whole struggle as he succumbed to death in the end. I was five years old at the time.

Second death was my great grandmother. A doctor had given her a dose of medicine she was allergic to at the age of 92. She was frail and weak in the end but the strength of her convulsions as she died in my mother's arms is something I will never forget. I may have been 10 at the time.

The third death happened around 3:00 am as I was delivering a car from Indianapolis to Fort Campbell Kentucky. A soldier in full uniform riding a Harley pulled out from the parking lot of a bar, he never saw the semi coming. He was thrown clear of the motorcycle and landed in the median. It was so late and I had had so little sleep I thought I hallucinated. I passed back by the incident scene about 15 minutes later which was just in time to watch responders cover him with a sheet.

I am not haunted by any of these deaths but I do hope to never witness another.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My friend Paul M was one of the gentlest, lovingest souls whom I've ever known. Having no children of his own didn't diminish his love for the daughter of the woman whom he married. And when a baby was born to the daughter, she was just as precious to him as if she'd been his own granddaughter.

If you have a granddaughter, you know!

The night when the teen-aged daughter and her boy friend were killed in a car crash, Paul was the one who had to go out to the crash scene and identify the bodies.

The first thing that he saw when he drove-up was the baby's head lying on the pavement.

I can not imagine anything more wrenching, nor any man who'd be more torn.

I don't have any idea why that child's head had just been left lying there, unless the others in the cars had been keeping everybody busy trying to keep 'em alive.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Life ain't fair, and there is no dignity in death.

I learned that lesson the hard and final way, on September 30, 1996.

The notes I took from the "Chalkboard" sometimes wake me up at night.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.