Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by selmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One of my buddies is a total Swarovski slut, and is always talking about how they're the ONLY binoculars (and scopes) to own.

Shrapnel? smile

Nope, someone else. I haven't accepted lesser quality binoculars yet and 2 of the 3 top tier binoculars I use are Leica HD-B and Leica Ultravids...

Last edited by shrapnel; 03/08/14.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was joking shrap...I've talked with you enough to know that you have far more than just Swarovskis in the safe...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bought Nikon monarch ATB 10X42 Binos about 5 years back for $299.Good glass for the $$ spent IMHO.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Did not read the replies, but I can offer this

If you can't see game, you can't take it.

But if your binocs are better than your scope light wise, seeing may not allow shoooting...

Talking late and early.

Then tehre is headache city. Better glass gives less....

I've not been unhappy with my Zeiss 10x50s bought in the early 80s.... cheap if you figure the per year cost....

And FWIW my motto has been... you get the best scope you can...first, then the best binocs, then the best rifle....

Can't see it, can't shoot it. Cant' find it to see it to shoot it..... and it takes only the cheapest single shot HR type handi rifle to kill most anything for most folks.... but they are more vain than that....

Wife has been happy with her new Vortex glass much more so than her old Leupy ones that really were not any better than old leupy scopes in the clarity department.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
With the glass techniques drastically improved over the last few years, it is hard to justify to spend more than $1000 for a pair of binoculars other than for the sake of showing off.

My favorite binoculars are Zeiss Terra ED and Zen-Ray ZRS HD. For better quality, the Zen-Ray PRIME HD is one of the best in its class. For less expensive binoculars, I would consider Leupold's new McKenzie.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
interestingly enough I'd like to spend enough to have the rangefinder inside the binocs, but I have not yet....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Just how "fancy" or good a binocular you really need is, of course, up to you to determine.
I spent many years, as in 40 plus, using a 9X35 B&L Zephur. Many a time, I really needed something sharper. So, I bought my first Leica about 13 yrs ago. Since then, I've bought another Leica, and several other binoculars.
What I've found along the way is that alot of companys that make binoculars have really improved their products. The Pentax ED, 8X43 I tried out a few years ago was every bit as good as the 8x42 Leica I bought in 2001 or 2002.
The one I carry use the most these days is my 8X32 Nikon LX. But when I really need to see well at extended distances, out comes the heavy 12X50 Leica BN.
I might add that additional weight can make a significant difference even with equal optics. The Pentax ED I mentioned does not perform as well as the Leica 8X42 at extended ranges. Not because it isn't up to the job, but because the image shake makes seeing fine detail so tough. It's the same with eye strain. The heavier the binocular, the easier it is on the eyes.
Good luck. I firmly believe it's worth the effort to find what works best for you. I'd consider the above Pentax and the Meopta/Cabela's Euro as well in your search. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawker
With the glass techniques drastically improved over the last few years, it is hard to justify to spend more than $1000 for a pair of binoculars other than for the sake of showing off.

That's simply not true. There IS improved quality to be had above 1k - albeit marginal in some cases. To some that gain is worth it, to others not so much - but to claim "showing off" is obviously out-driving the headlights. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane

That's simply not true. There IS improved quality to be had above 1k - albeit marginal in some cases. To some that gain is worth it, to others not so much - but to claim "showing off" is obviously out-driving the headlights. smile

Agreed....to whom do you "show off"? It's gear...not a fashion show LOL!

You generally get what you pay for.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You need to get out in the woods a bit more...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
All I will say. Is buy the best you can afford. Because I will guarantee. I have never herd anyone say I sure am pissed I bought these expensive, clear, low light gathering optics. But sure have herd about the other side of the spectrum.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Maybe they have fashion runway's in his deer camp where hunters put on all their very best gear and model it before the hunt....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I finally just pulled the trigger on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 Demo from Cameralandny - $675 seems like a very fair price for quality glass from one of the big 3. Time will tell but from the few pairs that I have handled in the stores I doubt I will be left 'wanting' with these. Thanks for all the suggestions.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of Chinese optics...

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think I'll save that one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Maybe they have fashion runway's in his deer camp where hunters put on all their very best gear and model it before the hunt....

RD: Yeah look what I have! grin

The poster above said it best....buy the best you can afford.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on what you use you binocular for and how often you need to use it. Had I remained in Texas where I grew up, hunting a few weekends during the deer season, and shooting deer out of deer blinds at ranges of 300 yards or less, there are a lot of binoculars that would have worked just fine.

About the time that I turned 49, I took on the responsibility of managing a large ranch owned by a conservation buyer. I spent just about every day using my binocular for something, sometimes for extended periods. My eyesight had been deteriorating for a few years and I decided that I was just getting too old to get by with a cheap binocular. I bought two Swarovski binoculars, an 8x30 SLC and a 10x42 SLC. I found myself using the 10x42 almost exclusively and my wife ended up with the 8x30. That was 22 years ago and since then, I have owned nothing but Swarovski and Leica. When the ELs came out, I acquired one of them (as a gift) and they were a definite step up.

I am retired now, but if I had to start all over, I would probably go with one or the other brand, depending on the deal that I could get. Swarovski's customer service has been exceptional. The amount that I have spent on repairs (mostly for things that I have done to the binoculars) has averaged out to less than $20/year.

Last edited by mudhen; 03/11/14.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mudhen I think you are right on all counts. I ended up with the same two bins you use,except have a Leica HD 10x42 as well as a Swaro 8x30 today.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting thread. You guys do realize, that despite the fun poked in Hawker's direction, you have proceeded to prove his point. If the last bunch of posts is not a bunch of guys staking out bragging rights, then there's been no bragging ever done here smile

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SteveC99
Interesting thread. You guys do realize, that despite the fun poked in Hawker's direction, you have proceeded to prove his point. If the last bunch of posts is not a bunch of guys staking out bragging rights, then there's been no bragging ever done here smile

Uuhhh.......no. wink

That would mean that any discussion of the merits of one product vs another,and interjecting your own opinion, constitutes "bragging"....which is something of a stretch.

Said another way, if you own something that costs more than what someone else owns, you are prohibited from expressing an opinion about it,for fear of being accused of "bragging"...they have names for this sort of speech suppression...I won't mention what they are. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/12/14.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.