OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by efw
Scott nailed it here:

Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm a tradesman and can tell you that the actual workers only get paid a small piece of that pie. For instance, the company I work for charges $96/ hour for a service visit, but the employee might only get about $20/ hour plus very basic medical insurance. No optical or dental and no retirement or HSA, either.

Trades aren't a bad place to be for sure, but a guy isn't going to get rich doing it.

So your numbers, corrected, are:

$80 $20 an hour for a 8 hour work day.

$640 $160 a day. Not a bad fantastic wage, if you ask me. Sure you have to pay taxes, but who doesn't? (ok, don't answer that)

Curious how much a .gov worker makes a day?

Anybody who runs a business will tell you that there is a HUGE difference between what's charged & what's made as profit.

HUGE.

So you're telling me that a guy with a van and 10k in tools couldn't make a good wage charging $80 an hour?

You are assuming that guy has a full book with no slowdown. And no operating costs. I have a good friend with a one man excavating business. He charges about $125 an hour. If he worked 60 hours a week he would consider himself lazy. I think he is lucky to clear $30/hr. at 40 hr. rate.

I can see excavating being an expensive business. Nothing cheap about buying/maintaining/running those machines.

GB1

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
So basically, it's because of gov regulation and taxes that the costs are $80 an hour?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The most city folk are out there the more they can charge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe roofers pay 35% now for comp.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Calvin- I agree things are not nearly as bad as the doom and gloom crowd make them out to be. At least in regards to the economy.

Folks just have much different expectations these days. You constantly here the lament of the "middle class" from folks that are financed to the hilt living far beyond their means.

The fact is, people expect more and at a younger age and with less work put in.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At least in regards to the economy.

The economy sucks. No getting around that fact grin

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Prices will keep going up ... for lotsa reasons

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wow, Y'all are getting ripped off. Call Pedro's Anything For a Buck.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Calvin- I agree things are not nearly as bad as the doom and gloom crowd make them out to be. At least in regards to the economy.

Folks just have much different expectations these days. You constantly here the lament of the "middle class" from folks that are financed to the hilt living far beyond their means.

The fact is, people expect more and at a younger age and with less work put in.

That and who really wants to be a plumber or electrician these days? All these kids want to do is play video games and live off daddy and the system. Disclaimer---I realize there are some good kids out there. Ours all work hard.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Calvin--you're luckey, in New Jersey the Mercury dealer charges $125/hour, most aren't even certified, please don't ask me how I know!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So basically, it's because of gov regulation and taxes that the costs are $80 an hour?
Sums it up... it's real bad in NY

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm a tradesman and can tell you that the actual workers only get paid a small piece of that pie. For instance, the company I work for charges $96/ hour for a service visit, but the employee might only get about $20/ hour plus very basic medical insurance. No optical or dental and no retirement or HSA, either.

Trades aren't a bad place to be for sure, but a guy isn't going to get rich doing it.

So, I'm curious what keeps a guy from branching out on his own, and charging a mere $60 an hour? You'd think people would be jumping at the chance to hire the guy?

Btw, all the guys I hired were independent. And when they ran for parts, which took a ridiculous amount of time, the clock was still ticking. I have a feeling I paid for a few coffee breaks.

I know a few electricians and plumbers, that do just that basically. They don't desire or need 100K a year in salary.

You do have a LOT of overhead folks don't think about. Advertising, insurance, taxes, time where you have to answer phones, deal with customers etc... but are not getting paid for that time. Bookeepers and so on.

But a few I know being an inspector, they don't work 40 a week all the time, hunt, fish etc... as they desire and make enough to pay their bills.

1250 to replace a 300 buck water heater gets to be nuts IMHO. Turn it off, drain it, haul it off, put new one in place, new service lines, maybe new valves... takes 2 hours maybe....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OTOH if I could have charged 500-600 for a deer head when I was trying to survive, instead of the market maybe bearing 300... I'd still be mounting, but with a grin on my face instead of day to day...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Sorry but you are both wrong. It is the cost and availability of 22 ammo...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to school for a while for taxidermy....you won't get rich doing that ...I tell my taxidermist he deserves every penny he charges

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is the cost and availability of 22 ammo...

[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

And inflation....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
It seems that there are a lot of guys who can do good work wiring or plumbing but the number of them that can manage it as a business and manage their time, estimate jobs, keep a schedule, and all the other things a smoothly running business takes is a lot fewer.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Calvin is not complaining, rather he's saying the opportunity is there for a hard worker who is self-motivated to make a living wage in numerous trades. It's always been that way, but it takes somebody intelligent enough to run the business and willing to work hard all the time.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Seems like the trades are the place to be?

Wrong conclusion. These are skills we all need to have.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,809 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,343
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.