Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm going to say what a lot of other members here are thinking....no true M70 enthusiast has any interest in guns that have been refinished, re-chambered, re-barreled or in any way been rendered non-original...

Modified guns are Winchester only by virtue that at one time they were original specimens...I think the original intent of this forum was to discuss/showcase factory-correct specimens and posters ought to refrain from putting up instances of what, in many cases, are junked-up examples of rifles. A worn original gun is far more interesting than a bubba'd up, refinished example, IMO, especially if in a rare cartridge...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I guess I'm not a "true model 70 enthusiast" then.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I guess I'm not a "true model 70 enthusiast" then.. whistle

I suppose I am not either but I do strive to be. I have a flaw and this is plenty true when it comes to M70's - I fall far short of knowing everything. My agenda is different than some as, given I don't know everything, I strive to learn more. With M70's, apparently the fakers have been having a field day for many years. I find this disturbing. The whole ballgame is being able to establish the difference between original and a faker's work.

As far as what people are interested in looking at on this forum, I recently started a thread focusing on M70's with the word "reblued" in the thread title. Despite the "reblued" warning, I notice 646 views. This doesn't suggest to me that there is an lack of interest.

I suspect many here are like me, they don't know it all and they have a desire to learn. There were many aspects of the RIA M70's that presented a puzzle to me. The responses I received helped move me forward in understanding that puzzle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
balltown does this mean that custom rifles on pre 64 M70 actions by Al Biesen,Len Brownell,Dale Goens,or Monte Kennedy would be "off limits" and too controversial for consideration and viewing entertainment on this forum?

I don't know a single M70 maven(hardcore collector of garden-variety user) who doesn't get palpitations just looking at one of those. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am with Balltownbob on this one. When I see an old gun that has been reblued or refinished it garners no interest to me. I seldom even give them a look. I have a friend that collects model 70's in 95% condition or better and then refinishes the stock and reblues them. This is what trips his trigger. We all have different likes. I admire a good honest gun with character marks and wear.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think of the gun shows I have walked through and all the reblued M1894's I have seen. I rarely give a glance at the refinished ones but there have been notable exceptions. Years ago there was .32/40 with a 36 inch barrel. It was original except for a refinish job. The refinish job made me shy away from it but I wouldn't say the rifle was of, "no interest to me." I would like to own a 36 inch barreled M1894. I believe my only chance at having one, in 40+ years of looking, was the reblued one I just referenced. So was it worth a glance - I've remembered that rifle for several decades.

Same with M70's - a refinished .270 or .30/06 - not worth a look as far as I am concerned. But one in .25/35 or .32 special (a M70!) - tell me that's not worth a glance!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I am with Balltownbob on this one. When I see an old gun that has been reblued or refinished it garners no interest to me. I seldom even give them a look. I have a friend that collects model 70's in 95% condition or better and then refinishes the stock and reblues them. This is what trips his trigger. We all have different likes. I admire a good honest gun with character marks and wear.

I can see your point. I really like original bluing and wood stocks myself. However, I've been enjoying the heck out of my fwt 270 in its new Mcmillan stock. I guess this doesn't detract from the value of the rifle as long as you have the original stock to throw back on it. I also like Bobin's way of thinking too, and love the Biesens..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Personally have no interest in 70's that have been messed with....there are still enough original guns out there to keep me in the game.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by balltownbob
I'm going to say what a lot of other members here are thinking�.no true M70 enthusiast has any interest in guns that have been refinished, re-chambered, re-barreled or in any way been rendered non-original.

Never thought that and I really like Winchesters.

I think the original intent of this forum was to discuss/showcase factory-correct specimens and posters ought to refrain from putting up instances of what, in many cases, are junked-up examples of rifles. A worn original gun is far more interesting than a bubba'd up, refinished example, IMO, especially if in a rare cartridge...

Also didn't see where that was a forum requirement.

A worn original that has not been cared for, and in a rifles case no longer shoots close to the original standard is nothing more than a good action waiting for someone to bring it back.

By the way, handled a 230,xxx ( can't remember exactly) Pre 64 Model 70 .308W early today that was my Aunts. My Cousin said he doubts if his Mom fired two boxes of shells threw it; almost pristine with the exception the bolt has some tarnish. He doesn't use it and I've been trying to buy it for years. If I live long enough to use it he will probably give it to me.

If so, you will see it in a brown Micky with a red pad. Hopefully laying in the dirt on top of a Whitetail..

I'm going hunting up at his place tomorrow, and will try and get a pic if I can get in the house.

Last edited by battue; 05/06/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I guess I�m not [true Model 70 enthusiast] either.

I don�t know much of anything about 70s but I�m maybe learning a little as I go along. When I bought my $750, 30-06 shooter a few days ago I compared it with an �original, perfect� older $1,800 Model 70 and to my untrained, inexperienced eye, the shooter I bought seemed more honest somehow. Nothing was hidden about what had been done to the shooter. The other perfect gun looked restored to me and according to the shop it was all original. With fake boxes for sale and all the other counterfeit stuff out there�

Is it really all that B&W? That otherwise original Shelby Cobra had bodywork done on the left front fender at some point and now it�s worthless? I think there are degrees to this collecting thing and individuals make up their own minds about what collecting is or is not. We all have our opinions on what constitutes quality and makes an object desirable, but criticizing others for finding a little joy in whatever they�ve stumbled on to seems like energy that could best be focused elsewhere?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Personally I say keep posting all the pictures and threads you want wether the gun is all original or not. Many of these guns that are not perfect make the best shooters because you can use them without worrying about putting a tiny nick in the stock.

One of my favorite M70's started life as a 358 Featherweight and someone in the past rechambered it to 350 Rem Mag. They also did a lot of work to make the magazine long enough to allow using long bullets. He then put it in a beautiful blonde walnut stock with some great checkering. Is it a collector? Not in the least but it's about as nice of a hunting gun as one could imagine.

But I still cringe everytime I pick it up thinking someone took a $2500 rifle, probably put $1000 into it and ended up with a $1500 rifle!

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The word "Collectors" appears in this thread's title....non-original 70s are not of interest to a collector...

There's a forum for Custom Rifles for anyone disposed to showing their custom M70s...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess if I had a chance to buy Jack O'Connor's personal M70, I'd be on it in a heartbeat even though it "had been rendered non-original" by Al Biesen. I guess I could lower my standards to put it in my meager collection.
yooper

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The word "Collectors" appears in this thread's title....non-original 70s are not of interest to a collector...

There's a forum for Custom Rifles for anyone disposed to showing their custom M70s...

First off, this "thread title" doesn't have "collectors" in it anywhere. Secondly, the "Winchester collectors" forum is just that: A bunch of good ol boys sharing what they have in their "collections". A lot of our collection of Winchester rifles is meager and others are many. The diversity of this group and the knowledge they share is sometimes humbling. I (for one) appreciate everyone's input on any matter regarding Winchester here. If you are looking for a place for just collectors pieces, I suggest you move on because this isn't it. Furthermore, it never will be. Hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
balltownbob, did someone pee in your cereal this morning? You called a guy a troll for asking an honest question and nlw this thread? I guess next you will be saying that if the gun isn't NIB it shouldn't be on here either because the nicks and wear are not factory original.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A well done rifle is just that; a fine rifle.

If it was or has a Winchester action then that's good but not necessary.

I got my fill of old M70's 50 years ago.

The last nice rifle I got does have an old M70 action. The one before that a Mauser.

I like them both. The Mauser is more desirable to me because the workmanship is better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
balltown does this mean that custom rifles on pre 64 M70 actions by Al Biesen,Len Brownell,Dale Goens,or Monte Kennedy would be "off limits" and too controversial for consideration and viewing entertainment on this forum?

I don't know a single M70 maven(hardcore collector of garden-variety user) who doesn't get palpitations just looking at one of those. wink

The qualifying aspect of this type of alteration is that it was done when these guns were run-of-the-mill every day shooters. Model 70's in those days were on the shelf and in production. Today they have experienced thousands of hunters and hunting trips and any survivors in original and good condition deserve more consideration than a donor action or rifle for a project gun.

Sure, there are cut and damaged guns that can be altered to enhance the owner's appreciation of the gun in question, but to take a good specimen that has made it all these years without alterations, deserves a better fate than being modified...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'd kinda thought this was the place to discuss what was, and what was not, original by sharing information, knowledge, and picture of what we have and what we know.

I'd expected to learn a thing or two, and maybe avoid a few mistakes in the buying and selling market along the way.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree AH64guy. I've learned a lot here. Usually if you ask a question, there are many here that can point you in the right direction or help with their hard earned knowledge. Others are very good at using reference books, to help with questions. The most helpful books I've found are Rules "the rifleman's rifle" and "the little red book of Winchester values". I know this place has saved me some money and it's also helped better my judgment when something needed to be snagged because it was too good of a deal to pass up. It's really a good place where we have a lot in common and share a passion for old Winchesters. It's not all about who has the most pristine, original, rarest, most expensive rifle here. If that were the case, only a couple people would ever visit this place wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the diversity of interests expressed here. There's a variety of reasons people appreciate rifles (original and non-original) and that's ok with me. Much of the time what they have to say is of interest. I'm not looking for people who have the identical perspective I have. What can possibly be gained from that?

As far as rifles inspiring me to give them a glance, beggars can't be choosers. If I could walk through a gunshow and find nothing but pristine or NIB early M70's in super rare calibers, I would surely enjoy myself. Instead, I often walk through a gunshow and find little of interest. This gets worse every year - if I could pump up my interest in jerky and throwing stars I could enjoy gun shows a lot more.

A few years ago a new Gander Mountain store opened near me. A few people that knew me (non-gun people) suggested to me that I must be really happy about the store and no doubt I would be up there all the time looking. I've been there once and even though the rifles were all strictly original and not a reblued one in the bunch, not a one was of the slightest interest. Same happened when a Dick's open near me.

I've steadily morphed into more of a collector than a hunter. I'm not proud of this and view the collector bug in me as my most prominent neurosis. I admire guys for whom their main interest in a rifle is hunting. The M70 converted to a .350 Remington Magnum referenced above is of interest to me and I'll bet it is a wonderful hunter. The current owner's hands are clean as the rifle was modified before he got it - no reason for chastisement - just enjoyment of the rifle. And, he has a rifle far more interesting than anything you will find at Dick's or Gander Mountain.

Finally, let me add that in my experience, much knowledge about original rifles can be gained from analysis and discussion of non-original rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to say what a lot of other members here are thinking....no true M70 enthusiast has any interest in guns that have been refinished, re-chambered, re-barreled or in any way been rendered non-original...

Modified guns are Winchester only by virtue that at one time they were original specimens...I think the original intent of this forum was to discuss/showcase factory-correct specimens and posters ought to refrain from putting up instances of what, in many cases, are junked-up examples of rifles. A worn original gun is far more interesting than a bubba'd up, refinished example, IMO, especially if in a rare cartridge...

Why not ask Rick to start a new category: "All original, unmodified, NIB, Winchester M70 Collectors"

Then you purists can rub shoulders with each other without being contaminated by association with the rest of us low life's.

I personally love pre64s to use and hunt with, because they work. I care nothing able safe queens, that are too pristine to take outdoors .

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Boys, think about it. It goes on in the Savage collectors forum. Yet the purists don't think the forum is exclusively a place for them to play. Why would anyone think the Winchester Collector forum here would be any different?

Better than even bet the post is really about making a controversial post more than anything else. Its in the tread title, goes on here all the time and gets old after a while.

If not then the OP is going to be an unhappy camper, because obviously we can post about any Winchester we desire. Original or modified, and even more obviously many are interested.

We can argue the merits of original vs modified within the form, but at no time was the forum the exclusive home of unmodified examples, and BalltownBob knew that shortly after he discovered the Winchester Forum. His choice to prefer the unaltered and express same. However, to say that those who think different should be relegated to the custom rifles forum is nothing more than making a controversial post and should be of little interest to those who like all things Winchester.

Last edited by battue; 05/07/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like them all, but make a lousy collector(I tried)because I could not resist the impulse to shoot them..and hunt with them.

Mostly because for a factory rifle they generally always worked and shot pretty well, and did not leave the factory unless they did. Their reliability and field worthiness was one of the things that made them great.

As someone posted,they have by now all been around the horn and unless one is already torn up, I won't build on an action or tear a pristine model apart for any reason. Too many other actions out there to be had. But they are all of interest to me, modified or not.

I have seen pictures of Pinnell and Talifson's 375's.....mother nature modified those and they are of far more interest to me than something that has sat in a box for 60 years.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the forum just the way it is, I have learned a lot here, I believe I am more of an enthusiast than a collector although I have both types in my collection, my favorite out of all is restocked featherweight 270 I bought on the campfire from tdn and I think my least favorite is an all original unfired pre 64 I bought from the original owner because I can't do anything to it but let it sit in the safe, don't feel like I can mount a scope on it or ever shoot it and it doesn't feel like it's ever had a life or a story to tell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And what is holding you back from being the one to take it to the show?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Winchester rifle used long and hard for what it was made for and repaired along the way. A Winchester safe queen that never tasted rain or horse sweat, never got broke, never shot enough to get too hot to touch. Which is the real rifleman's rifle?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The sooner you realize it has nothing to do with history, stories or the make believe life of a rifle, and accept that it is all about the money the sooner it will all make sense.

Anyway, the rain finally put a damper on the Turkey and my Cousins wife was home and I got some pics of his Mothers Pre 64. With a critical eye, not as pristine as I thought, but still nice and used little.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Battue, That looks like a very nice one to me! But on another note I have yet to see a pre 64 mod 70 that I could not see some promise in. Stonewall Jackson was a 7th removed uncle, if I could get my hands on his gun I would load er up and shoot hell out of it! I could never make a NIB collector, I guess Im just wired wrong, I am happy for the guys that are able to do so. v best WinPoor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd really like to buy and use it since it essentially has been in the cabinet since 87. However, his reason for not wanting to let it go is understandable and he would like to pass it on to a grandson.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The originator of this thread to justify in his mind trashing modified rifles and those who collect them has pointed out that the title of this category is "Winchester Collectors". Collectors come in many differing persuasions, not all are purists who reject any rifle that is not 100% original. This is the only time an objection of this kind has been raised here in the time I have been a member of this forum. Perhaps the originator should try being a little more tolerant of others and their interests.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 5thShock
A Winchester rifle used long and hard for what it was made for and repaired along the way. A Winchester safe queen that never tasted rain or horse sweat, never got broke, never shot enough to get too hot to touch. Which is the real rifleman's rifle?

A part of me certainly understands this type thinking. Winchester made these rifles with the intention that they would be used and hunted with. The thought behind the design, craftmanship and quality of materials was years and years of reliable use.

Another part of me covets the safe queens and maintaining them as such. As I mentioned earlier, I don't view that part as the healthy part.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Question for those who follow the path to Winchester purism: If Edward Ulrich who engraved high end Winchesters did one-actually he did more than a few-at his home after retiring from Winchester would it be considered an original or a bastardization of an original?

If he upgraded an original standard grade rifle-again he did it more than once-at home after retiring from Winchester-is it another bastard child, and if not what grade is it?

These mods while done by a famous Winchester craftsman, and the work was the same as that done in house, were done off premise and on his own time. Heresy, only Winchesters completed in the factory are worthy of mention here. They should be in the Custom forum.

Well�According to some. grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Battue - sad to say, such a rifle that you describe would bring less money than if Ulrich had done the work inside the factory.

Purism is one tough gig.

It does bother me that so much that is referred to as, "collectible" is really all about the money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by boltman
Battue - sad to say, such a rifle that you describe would bring less money than if Ulrich had done the work inside the factory.

Purism is one tough gig.

It does bother me that so much that is referred to as, "collectible" is really all about the money.

Which only proves the absurd constraints that some place on originality.

Same guy, same rifle, same chisels, same pattern, same quality, different work location, less value.

Logic defies the reasoning.

Money is the driver. It's not about preserving, history, etc. It's about I'm afraid to lose my investment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whether it is Winchesters or cars, the alteration changes the dynamic of the original. Anyone that collects cars doesn't want a chopped/lowered/modified car when he is looking at originals. There are lots of modified/customized cars that are owned and driven by people that like that sort of thing, but the closer to new and higher the condition, the more valuable and desirable the car.

Money is certainly a huge component in the decision to buy or sell and that isn't all bad. To think that someone doesn't like the concept of alteration is short sighted, is no more wrong than the other person that wants or likes modifications by himself or someone else.

I have plenty of Winchesters and though they aren't mint, I still look for the most condition and original finish that I can find because that is what I like. I also shoot them and hunt with them because I don't believe you have to own a nice gun, leave it in the safe and buy a stainless/plastic gun to shoot all your game with...

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
That'll show you BALLTOWNBOB. Now take your ball and go home.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

Money is the driver. It's not about preserving, history, etc. It's about I'm afraid to lose my investment.

Sadly money does play a key role in collectability but it isn't the only driver on why and what people collect. I have worked hard to find the pedigree and history of any old rifle I own and I do take them to gun shows to display and share the American history.

I don't really own these old guns, I am merely a steward for the time being until they go to someone else and it is always my hope that the next person will care for and preserve them so they can be enjoyed by other people in years to come...

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
no true M70 enthusiast has any interest in guns that have been refinished, re-chambered, re-barreled or in any way been rendered non-original...

Change the enthusiast to collector and I would agree. I took a beautifully stocked M70 with a Douglas 25-06 barrel into Briley's (the shotgun house) who also sell new and used rifles and they only offered me $275 for it. But there are a lot of enthusiastic people who want an action to rebarrel.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Whether it is Winchesters or cars, the alteration changes the dynamic of the original. Anyone that collects cars doesn't want a chopped/lowered/modified car when he is looking at originals. There are lots of modified/customized cars that are owned and driven by people that like that sort of thing, but the closer to new and higher the condition, the more valuable and desirable the car.

Money is certainly a huge component in the decision to buy or sell and that isn't all bad. To think that someone doesn't like the concept of alteration is short sighted, is no more wrong than the other person that wants or likes modifications by himself or someone else.

I have plenty of Winchesters and though they aren't mint, I still look for the most condition and original finish that I can find because that is what I like. I also shoot them and hunt with them because I don't believe you have to own a nice gun, leave it in the safe and buy a stainless/plastic gun to shoot all your game with...

Kirk - what would be your opinion of the example Battue used - a rifle engraved by Ulrich but after he left full-time employment in the factory? Would you view this an an alteration?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ulrich engraved is Ulrich engraved regardless of where it was done. I don't think that Michelangelo's work is any less appreciated in the Cathedrals of Milan than the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

I also believe the guns earlier mentioned that were altered for Jack O'Connor were not violated the way we would consider what a member of the Campfire might do or have done. Celebrity does add a huge component to the question of customization or bastardization.

I had a friend that bought a Marlin 1881 in real nice condition, but he felt that he owned the gun and wanted it to look brand new. He took it to a capable gunsmith and had it totally refinished and in my estimation, ruined the gun. I couldn't stop him, but he took one of a few surviving high condition guns and wrecked it.

I would take a well used 1886 Winchester any day over a Doug Turnbull restoration as I have no use for those kind of guns. People still like them and people still buy them, I just don't have any interest in them...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Kirk - that is a sad tale about that '81 Marlin. I view it as ruined as well. I also see myself as the caretaker of my rifles. Someone owned them before me and someone will own them after me. I am one in a series of custodians. I feel a responsibility to care for them and not do something stupid to them. Hence, I don't adopt the philosophy of, "it' mine - I'll do whatever I want to it." I don't dispute someone's legal right in this regard, but I'll do my best to convince them otherwise. I find much of the time, pointing out that they are lowering the value works better than anything.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is all semantics about the word "collectors." Define that and each one will have his answer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There are different levels of collectors also. Sure I would love a M21 Grand American to use for grouse but the fact is I will never be able to afford one. I wouldn't mind though finding a nice M21 20ga that had been re-fisnished and had the chokes opened up that I could actually afford. Same goes for M70's/

Someone mentioned cars. Again I would love a mint '70 Camero SS but it would never leave the garage. I would actually enjoy a nice one that may not be original but that I could drive on occassion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reelman
There are different levels of collectors also. Sure I would love a M21 Grand American to use for grouse but the fact is I will never be able to afford one. I wouldn't mind though finding a nice M21 20ga that had been re-fisnished and had the chokes opened up that I could actually afford. Same goes for M70's/

Someone mentioned cars. Again I would love a mint '70 Camero SS but it would never leave the garage. I would actually enjoy a nice one that may not be original but that I could drive on occassion.

Cars and guns were meant to be used and enjoyed. I have both and still use them. The idea that nice things are left unused in the safe or garage is a myth...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 05/07/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice cars, I don't see any pristine all original model 70's there though... whistle

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ever thought about Keystones?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not much of a car guy but that Goat is beautiful!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice cars, I don't see any pristine all original model 70's there though... whistle

Of course they are there and you knew it, but I will still take the bait. All are high condition low comb Model 70's. 257 Roberts, 270 Winchester 22 Hornet and 30-06. The swift hasn't been out enough to get the pictures...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Atta boy. I was expecting the table pic though laugh . I always love the double buck pic though. That one is very cool!!

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hmmm. I only own bubba'd ones and enjoy them immensely.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel: did you shoot the mulie in the eye?

And what's with the guy behind with a different buck in the same pic?

He has orange and you don't. ??

Questions. Questions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M70FW, mfg in 1953, chambered in .308 WIN, 99% metal, but the varnish was flaking off - had a first class stock-smith strip the finish, restrike the checkering and rub a Tru-Oil finish on it - I like it!

[Linked Image]

M70FW, mfg in 1963, left the factory with a sloppy 30-06 SPRG chamber (early 1960's there was some bad fit and finish coming out of New Haven) - primers of factory ammo would back out upon firing. I thought about taking one thread off the barrel, but decided to make it a .270 WIN - Douglas barrel - I like it.

[Linked Image]

M70, mfg in 1961, chambered in 30-06 SPRG, had a plastic buttplate. When I was young and dumb I hunted way up in trees, sitting on little pieces of plywood I had nailed in anyway I could make them work. I sat and leaned against the truck - my rifle leaned against my shoulder with the plastic buttplate sitting on the plywood - I had to be careful that it wouldn't slip and fall - so I had a rubber pad installed in lieu of the buttplate - I still like it.

[Linked Image]

Not a M70, but a nice Winchester old shotgun made around 1937; locks tight, but was 60% blue when I got it - Stu Wright made it look new for me - I like it!

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
Shrapnel: did you shoot the mulie in the eye?

And what's with the guy behind with a different buck in the same pic?

He has orange and you don't. ??

Questions. Questions.

Here is another picture. My son and I shot these 2 bucks about 20 yards apart. I took the orange off for the picture. I did shoot the buck through the back of the head and it came out his eye...

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Pre '64 M 70 .300 H&H with a Leupold 6x scope.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heretofore I was reluctant to post this pre-64 Model 70, because it started out as a 270 Winchester then reworked into a 7x57 by a Wisconsin master metalsmith, Emil Koshollek.

Thanks to all for the reinforcement that this forum is for all Winchester enthusiasts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Not sure if it's been over cleaned, but it has not been refinished or modified in any way - so it should Kosher for the "Winchester Collectors� forum smile
[Linked Image]
Think this baby could bring down a big buck?

Last edited by Gusb; 05/08/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Got a factory letter on it? Could be humped up eek

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Let me add, even without a letter it would make a fine hunter. Up to medium sized deer I would say.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And, don't let anyway talk you into sending it to Turnbull. It is fine as it sits.

And no, I'm not working on my post count. I just don't think real fast. This is why I like the internet. In real life people have left the room by the time I think of what to day.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Gusb
Not sure if it's been over cleaned, but it has not been refinished or modified in any way - so it should Kosher for the "Winchester Collectors� forum smile
[Linked Image]
Think this baby could bring down a big buck?

I think it is a fantastic Stillson wrench that will bring more money than any Rigid I have ever seen. Nice find and thanks for posting! very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Odessa
M70FW, mfg in 1953, chambered in .308 WIN, 99% metal, but the varnish was flaking off - had a first class stock-smith strip the finish, restrike the checkering and rub a Tru-Oil finish on it - I like it!

[Linked Image]

M70FW, mfg in 1963, left the factory with a sloppy 30-06 SPRG chamber (early 1960's there was some bad fit and finish coming out of New Haven) - primers of factory ammo would back out upon firing. I thought about taking one thread off the barrel, but decided to make it a .270 WIN - Douglas barrel - I like it.

[Linked Image]

M70, mfg in 1961, chambered in 30-06 SPRG, had a plastic buttplate. When I was young and dumb I hunted way up in trees, sitting on little pieces of plywood I had nailed in anyway I could make them work. I sat and leaned against the truck - my rifle leaned against my shoulder with the plastic buttplate sitting on the plywood - I had to be careful that it wouldn't slip and fall - so I had a rubber pad installed in lieu of the buttplate - I still like it.

[Linked Image]

Not a M70, but a nice Winchester old shotgun made around 1937; locks tight, but was 60% blue when I got it - Stu Wright made it look new for me - I like it!

[Linked Image]

Everyone of your guns are something to be mighty proud of BUT that Douglas barrel 270 is milky tits! Wow what nice wood, every Douglas barrel I have owned shot better than me as well! very best, keep the photos coming....WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Odessa

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BIG thumbs up on those beautiful rifles and shotgun. VERY NICE buddy!!!! cool

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
Heretofore I was reluctant to post this pre-64 Model 70, because it started out as a 270 Winchester then reworked into a 7x57 by a Wisconsin master metalsmith, Emil Koshollek.

Thanks to all for the reinforcement that this forum is for all Winchester enthusiasts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very classy 7x57. I really like that one...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks gents!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice wood, Ed!

Everyone has seen my .30-06 Featherweight. Bought for $700 because of the recoil pad addition. smile

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Odessa,

Nice collection you have. Those two FWTs are really nice.

And glad all you heathens post your misfits here. Gives me so many ideas beyond boring original. grin

Last edited by battue; 05/08/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me, too. Looks like ol' balltown has moved on to rub shoulders with a higher class group.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He will need good luck finding that. grin

Anyway, I'm sure the majority will have no problems with him joining in if he chooses to do so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Battue: no doubt he would be welcome. He'd likely be more welcome if he dismounted from his high horse grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Users have been personalizing firearms since they were touching them off with a wick. It is the nature of the beast.

I remember reading about a Winchester that went for around $500,000. From shell casings housed at the Smithsonian, it was authenticated to have been used by an Indian at the Battle of the Little Big Horn. He had pounded a bunch of tacks into the stock. I liked his style and it looked pretty cool from the pics. smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think enthusiasm is a very good thing. If someone else feels enthusiastic about their gun, I am all for them. Rifles mean a lot to me. They have since I was a small boy. As a hunter, shooter, collector... it's not difficult for me to relate to someone else's excitement about their rifle. The rifles in themselves, as objects mean nothing. It's the attachments we have to them, the way we use them, their history and so on. In that vein, safe queens are at the dull end of the continuum. Still, if you live within ten miles of me and call me up and want me to look at your NIB pre-64 M70 Super Grade Carbine in 9mm with the hang tags and the original receipt... I think I can muster up the energy to come over and take a glance at it wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Me being the odd ball, but rarity in and of itself wouldn't make me interested in that particular example. Now the one carried by that Indian fellow? I would have little hesitation in going much further to see.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Me being the odd ball, but rarity in and of itself wouldn't make me interested in that particular example. Now the one carried by that Indian fellow? I would have little hesitation in going much further to see.

I just said I'd be willing to glance at it wink

But yes, seeing that 1876 Winchester would be a big treat. My own preference is for rifles built from the 1870's through the early 1900's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeas ago in Taos, MN there was a display that supposedly was of one of Jim Bridgers last Hawkins and a saddle he used. Often wondered how they knew.

The rifle looked to be in excellent shape. Would like to carry that just one day on a hunt.
In fact, any original Hawkin would be a great day.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Battue: no doubt he would be welcome. He'd likely be more welcome if he dismounted from his high horse grin

I prefer to own guns I don't have to make excuses for...nor come up with all the worn-out reasons as to why I have them like so many of you always seem to point out....any way you spin it some of the junk guns people like to talk up, even post pictures of, are still just that-junk...

Why not focus, instead, on getting the forum back on track toward Collector examples of Winchesters instead of "personalized" examples of what once were nice guns?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure you are familiar with the old line re junk and treasure. Found this one a few years back and it was a treasure. I.E. original stock, hardly used in years, few disparaging marks, etc, etc. You get it.

Promptly turned it into a piece of usable junk that did what it was made to do.

First order of business was to remove this. For now anyway; Odessa has me thinking I may have it spruced up a little. You know a nice dull polyurethane oil duplication that will hold up. Like it should have been done originally, but was of such poor quality and application that it never had a chance.

Have a nice red W correct pad installed. That plate sometimes slides on the shoulder under recoil, and can mess with a follow up shot if need. Ok for the times, but there are better ways to do things now.

Bedding? Free float or Neutral full length? Hmmm, I'm leaning to NFL, you have any suggestions?

Does practical ever have it place? Just asking, don't take offense.

[Linked Image]

Then we junked it up. Cover your eyes, cover your eyes!!!! Knew you couldn't. smile

[Linked Image]

Then quickly discovered it would do this pretty much on the first try. Certainly not a campfire .5 all day rifle, but I figured that juuuuust maybe I could make it work.

[Linked Image]

Soooo, Out it went into the real world for three seasons. Two of them below.

[Linked Image]

Little wet and there is probably some hair in the magazine, but it's a piece of _ _ _ _. More than a few words will fit, so please feel free to grade its current status within the context of your extensive knowledge and acknowledged respect of all things Winchester. Doubt if you can hurt my feelings, so don't hold back

[Linked Image]

Anyway, welcome back and would really like to see some pics of your pristine examples in the field on the hunt. You know something along the lines of Shraps posts. That's some really good stuff so don't be shy. We're a pretty loose group of Winchester followers and I'm thinking that is not about to change.

Addition: After looking at this last pic, I'm leaving it as is. Damn nice piece of junk. Perhaps some Lakota or Cheyenne is looking down and saying "I like his style." grin

Last edited by battue; 05/09/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I prefer to own guns I don't have to make excuses for...nor come up with all the worn-out reasons as to why I have them like so many of you always seem to point out....any way you spin it some of the junk guns people like to talk up, even post pictures of, are still just that-junk...

Why not focus, instead, on getting the forum back on track toward Collector examples of Winchesters instead of "personalized" examples of what once were nice guns?

Well, looks like that ain't gonna happen. You this pompous in person, too?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Balltownbob, Dam if the only thing you and I agree on is the fact that' life is to short to smoke cheap cigars'!
You act like your collection would put Mr Roger Rules' collection on the back row. Model 70's are like cattle, there is a place for each and everyone, not all can be the pretty girls 'show calf'.
So welcome to the 'real world' where we can all be proud of whatever we have to share here. I still get tickled when I see a super nice transition in great shape with a GD compass stuck in the comb! very best WinPoor

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I enjoy the Winchester Collector category just the way it is, a place where the majority of posters tolerate the diversity of interests in collecting all models of Winchester firearms. Newbies were encouraged by the old hands and post count was irrelevant. Then along comes an individual to muck things up, calling a newbie a troll because of post count while acting like a troll himself. Kinda hypocritical don't ya think?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are 50+ year old rifles. They don't all remain in mint condition.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We all need to lighten up, It may be this guys 'time of the month' or he may be 'going thru the change' LOL....Its all good very best winpoor

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can't see for the life of me understand why there isn't room for everyone who wants to be here? When you log-in, just don't click on those threads that are not of interest. For example, my post about the RIA pre-64's - in the title of the thread I indicated they were, "reblued." If someone has no interest in reblued rifles why give that thread a second thought? When I come here I don't open every thread - and I'm not angry because there are threads here that don't seem relevant to me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There is room and it will remain so. Have fun, life's to short not to.... Hmmmmm???? Oh, never mind. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is room for you all in my world - I just like old rifles and shotguns - if it is original and pristine then that is cool and I want to look it over. On the other hand, if someone changed out the butt plate for a recoil pad or had the bolt jewelled then that is fine with me too - original Winchester's were USED by the men who bought them, just like we do with them today. I bought a brand new, 20 year old, Browning Auto-5 Magnum Twelve a couple of years ago to duck and goose hunt with - I KNOW I "lost value" by taking it out of the box and hunting with it - hell, my childern can worry about that at the estate sale - I buy them to use and enjoy. Odessa

Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Well, looks like that ain't gonna happen. You this pompous in person, too?

Actually the three friends I have would tell you I am not at all pompous.... smile

My only point is this Forum's title has the word Collector in it...much of the stuff posted has nothing to do with collector guns...sorry I stepped on so many toes...that was not my intent...

And Mr. Battue: I usually don't take pics of me and dead animals....my journal does quite well reminding me of my days afield...if you'd like to see my Winchester accumulation I'd be happy to have you stop by at my place in Forest County. Drop me a line to make sure I'm going to be around...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Based on some level of experience, I think in the strictest sense, the definition of the term, "collector" could be, "path to unhappiness." When you are a collector, your focus is on finding something wrong with something. Someone hands you a piece (or posts a picture) the first thing you automatically do is look for flaws. Believe me, I've experienced my share of this mentality, and continue to do so to some degree. Perfectionism and collector easily go hand in hand. People who are perfectionists are not known for their happiness either.

I've noticed the majority of the guys around here tend to look for the positives in a rifle. The fact that they can feel enthused about something with imperfections, flaws or, "character" makes me want to come back smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Based on some level of experience, I think in the strictest sense, the definition of the term, "collector" could be, "path to unhappiness." When you are a collector, your focus is on finding something wrong with something. Someone hands you a piece (or posts a picture) the first thing you automatically do is look for flaws. Believe me, I've experienced my share of this mentality, and continue to do so to some degree. Perfectionism and collector easily go hand in hand. People who are perfectionists are not known for their happiness either.

I've noticed the majority of the guys around here tend to look for the positives in a rifle. The fact that they can feel enthused about something with imperfections, flaws or, "character" makes me want to come back smile

I like your post boltman, but I think it's not just "feeling enthused about something with imperfections", it's more like what battue said about making something a little better. We all know the stocks (finish and checkering) on the pre 64's could have been better coming out of the factory. Heck, throw a McMillan on one like I did my pristine 270 fwt and call it a day. Glass bed them so they shoot lights out too. Life's too short to shoot/hunt a rifle that doesn't drive tacks and look good doing it wink. Hell, I wouldn't own a magnum pre 64 that wasn't properly glass bedded just because they are known for splitting stocks. Some things are detrimental to a collectors eyes, but if you are going to use them, certain things need to be done to make them better...Why do you think they started putting cross bolts in the 375's and 458's...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No problem, but pics are an accepted medium on the fire for a variety of reasons. Yet many don't post them and seem to enjoy their time here.

I'm up your way Grouse hunting often, but will probably not bother you.

Anyway, I'm would think perhaps you may be familiar with the Winchester Collectors Association. Seems to be more in line with what you find interesting. If you are not familiar with the WCA it may be a more productive use of your time; instead of engaging in a crusade to change us here.

Here is the WCA link if by chance you are not familiar with it. http://winchestercollector.org

They seem to have it all and will probably spend a little time looking around there myself.

However, don't ever hesitate to join in if you have something interesting. Makes no difference if it collector quality or not. These are Winchester guys to the core and they would like to see it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree Battue.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree Battue.

+1

Excellent points.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

How about the totally rusted up pre-64 I got from a dumbfu-k from Oregon that was totally useless for anything?, he said it shot great before I bought it.

Happy to report today it's been rerifled and rechambered to 338-06 and now sits in a rimrock syn stock with new bead blasted steel in a matte black cerakote finish.

With it's 1.75-6 Leupold in Leupold dual dovetail B&R's it weighs a good bit less than 8 lbs all up and fires 250 gr Swift-A-Frames into just over half inch groups at 100 yards.

Gunner

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Trash it Gunner,matter of fact I'll take off your hand for $10.00. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pretty generous offer elkhunternm, given he ruined a fine specimen of a character gun....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah,sometimes I just get that "help a fella out" feeling and just can't control myself.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Mr. Battue: Been a WACA member for many years and assume you are, too? I am quite sure many here are not members and I also wonder if they belong to the NRA...but that's another subject entirely.

Have to agree it is probably not a good idea for you to stop by on your grouse hunting forays...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Trash it Gunner,matter of fact I'll take off your hand for $10.00. smile

laugh, Thanks Ken and Boltman. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No I'm not a member of the WACA, but a life member of the NRA.

OK, but perhaps we will cross paths some time up that way. I'll probably say hi and go on my way. Usually will be in the company of a couple Bird Dogs and people of like persuasions. Good chance I'll be carrying a rat Win shotgun.

Once again, don't hesitate to post anything Winchester here. Pretty fine group of guys if you give them half a chance. They will nit pic now and then but that's about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think for a lot of folks they would rather have a non original Winchester than no Winchester at all.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'v posted these before so please bear with me. Point being that Winchester is bigger than pristine collector examples or firearms that have never been modified.

Two of the greatest Winchesters ever made.

The Model 12 in 16Gauge. I'm sure there are high end collector examples out there that get some excited. Unfortunately a Grouse hunter will have them looking like this in a few seasons. Needed shortened for my use, so it received a recoil pad. Wood finish was gone, so the right thing to do was give it some protection.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then there is the Model 59. Gets no love, but one of the greatest pure pointers that Winchester ever made. Would make little sense to pimp this one out either. Finish is going, so it will look different shortly. Will it being non original take away from its excellence in the Grouse Wood?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The above examples have been modified from original. I guess Bob thinks they don't deserve inclusion on the Winchester Collectors Forum. Well, I disagree.

The Winchester that few know about and every bit as good as the originals. It was a reproduction of another companies SxS. I don't know where Bob thinks it should go.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't ever recall seeing anything about nib or perfect or even m70's only it the title of this thread. could be wrong but there are many other models of Winchesters than 70's. I love Winchesters and have a few, only one 70. can't understand the intolerance .

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"My way is the only pure way" to enlightenment, has killed more than a few over the centuries.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I love Model 12s, especially transition and flat fore end 16's.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just bought a .257 Roberts model 70 out of Idaho off the Internet with finish wear about like Battue's Model 12. The gun is all original, but carried much. With that said, the bore looks like new and I have extremely clean Model 70s that have more finish wear where the bolt rubs the receiver, making me think the gun was shot little. I pulled it out of the stock, which I don't think had occurred in 65 years and cleaned the dirt and grass and cosmoline off. After cleaning it up, I think this was a ranch or farm gun carried in the tractor or pickup. That is more interesting to me than a pristine example at twice the money or more. In fact, I think this one may go mule deer hunting in the fall.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It seems like Mr. Balltown's getting his shorts in a bunch over his interpretation of the word "Collector" in the Forum name. Maybe if the name of the Forum was changed to "Winchester Enthusiasts" or "Winchester Lovers", he'd be OK with it. Personally, I've got some hangups like D&T guns or shortened barrels, but honestly used guns are a thing of beauty IMHO.
yooper
Charter & Life Member #108 WACA

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's amusing as I've seen, "collector" Winchesters for sale for well in the five digit range - and still you kind find tap holes, alterations, replaced parts, part or all refinished, etc. Rarely is the old adage, "it's always something" not true.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I just bought a .257 Roberts model 70 out of Idaho off the Internet with finish wear about like Battue's Model 12. The gun is all original, but carried much. With that said, the bore looks like new and I have extremely clean Model 70s that have more finish wear where the bolt rubs the receiver, making me think the gun was shot little. I pulled it out of the stock, which I don't think had occurred in 65 years and cleaned the dirt and grass and cosmoline off. After cleaning it up, I think this was a ranch or farm gun carried in the tractor or pickup. That is more interesting to me than a pristine example at twice the money or more. In fact, I think this one may go mule deer hunting in the fall.

Cool find DMD.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well guys, I gotta tell ya and it's good stuff. grin

BalltownBob and I have been shooting a couple PM's back and forth and he is a good fellow. Not pompous or arrogant, but seems to be a genuine fine individual.

My take is he looks at the Winchester Collectors forum as gun specific as in; "You guys collect these particular Winchesters."

I said that I think most of us see the forum from the aspect of we are "Winchester Collectors" that just happen to like Winchesters of just about any persuasion. Original, survivors, modified, etc. It doesn't matter, we just like most things Winchester.

He sees the product in the header, we see us in the header. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, but he is definitely a good guy and one I hope continues to hang around the Winchester forum. I'm pretty sure he has more than a little Winchester knowledge to share. wink

Last edited by battue; 05/10/14.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If I were one to get caught up in close, textual examination of forum titles, I'd have to agree with balltownbob.

This forum, as it's evolved, could be more accurately designated the "Winchester Accumulator's" forum.

I know that's what I am. I love Winchesters of all sorts: 70's, 52's, 94's, 71's, 12's, 21's and love seeing them being put to use rather than moldering away in some safe somewhere waiting for a probate court to auction them off after their collector/owner passes and nobody in the family wants old guns more than they want fresh cash.

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/10/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
this is where I get confused and at times frustrated. balltownbob sees Winchester collectors as model 70 Winchesters exclusive.
I like m70's. l am addicted to Winchesters of all models. can I not post on the Winchester collectors forum unless I only have acquired a new m70? not trying to cause any one trouble but I'm confused. did I not read a forum rule?
I will say that balltownbob presented his opinion without the vitriol some have used.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by yooper35
It seems like Mr. Balltown's getting his shorts in a bunch over his interpretation of the word "Collector" in the Forum name. Maybe if the name of the Forum was changed to "Winchester Enthusiasts" or "Winchester Lovers", he'd be OK with it. Personally, I've got some hangups like D&T guns or shortened barrels, but honestly used guns are a thing of beauty IMHO.
yooper
Charter & Life Member #108 WACA

Frankly I have never understood the snobbery of folks like BTB, here we are discussing "factory made rifles," of course there are 'arms collectors' that at one copy per, cost many times more than somes entire collection, the vaults their sitting in and the home that covers the whole damn thing.

I've met a couple of these individuals, they have been completely gracious, kind and polite to me, guess some folks [BTB] find a niche they can afford to be in and become snobs in that particular niche. crazy

I like all guns and have no queens, IDGAC if it's ever had the bolt in it or not, when I get it, she gets shot.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well guys, I gotta tell ya and it's good stuff. grin

BalltownBob and I have been shooting a couple PM's back and forth and he is a good fellow. Not pompous or arrogant, but seems to be a genuine fine individual.

My take is he looks at the Winchester Collectors forum as gun specific as in; "You guys collect these particular Winchesters."

I said that I think most of us see the forum from the aspect of we are "Winchester Collectors" that just happen to like Winchesters of just about any persuasion. Original, survivors, modified, etc. It doesn't matter, we just like most things Winchester.

He sees the product in the header, we see us in the header. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, but he is definitely a good guy and one I hope continues to hang around the Winchester forum. I'm pretty sure he has more than a little Winchester knowledge to share. wink

battue: Gotta say that you have handled this entire situation with a lot of class. And I appreciate you reaching out to BTB. No doubt he is a good guy. But his posts came across (to me at least) as pretty pompous, exclusive, elitist, or whatever. I enjoy this forum the way it is, and don't understand why anyone would feel the need to denigrate the interests or passions of other gun enthusiasts. But, as we all know, it's easy to be misunderstood, or misinterpreted, on the interweb.

Bottom line for me, is: BTB is certainly welcome here, and I'm sure he could be a valuable contributor. But I would hope he would understand, and be more tolerant of the fact that all of us do not share his more-narrow interest in only unmodified M70's (and only M70's). And just because others' interests do not align precisely with his, they are not wrong, nor better nor worse, than his....just different.

If he feels strongly about his stated position, then I respectfully submit, that he would be more wise, and more likely successful, to suggest starting a new, more specific forum, rather than attempting to convert and already existing, successful, and popular forum.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As far as reaching out he sent me a PM first. And I'm glad he did.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Gentlemen, I assure you my Winchester interests extend far beyond the 70...I used 70s as the best example of what I thought was a departure from the realm of collecting into simply one of talking about rifles with no collector appeal save for folks who were not concerned about originality of which those numbers here far exceed those who are purists....

Didn't mean to stir up the schittstorm that resulted...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I still welcome you in (for what it's worth). We can use another good knowledgeable Winchester guy around here.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, we're getting tired of the same old blemished Winchester photos. eek

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey now, I haven't posted too many photos of my new XTR fwt have I?? whistle laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I still welcome you in (for what it's worth). We can use another good knowledgeable Winchester guy around here.

LOL....Thanks...That's very kind of you...other than this thread I spend a lot more time here reading and learning....I will jump in, though, if I believe bad information is being given, especially on 70s which have held my interest for over fifty years...and I still learn things about them on a regular basis....

A few words of caution on Roger Rule's book...before its release it was common knowledge among many 70 experts (I was not one of the experts) that the book was coming and contained info on many rifles of dubious ancestry....the book is a trove of info on the more common guns BUT beware of exotic stuff so beautifully depicted in its pages....Many of these guns are FAKE, put together rifles....they are enough to make one drool with lust but did not come out of New Haven...unfortunately the fakery also extended to common, NIB (?) guns, too...to make matters worse a fellow in Michigan was turning out barrels in the rare (7.65, 9mm, etc.) and inscribing same with original factory tooling....no longer did a person have to find an original take-off barrel; he could get a new one that looked just like it really came from Winchester....I could go on and on but will stop....you get the picture...

Cheers,

BTB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I welcome your opinion but couldn't disagree more. Assuming original intent of the forum well just makes an "@$$" out of you. Also assuming the thoughts of members secures your position there.

I personally welcome all Winchester collectors and enthusiast and their appreciation of the Winchester brand no matter what form it takes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

LOL....Thanks...That's very kind of you...other than this thread I spend a lot more time here reading and learning....I will jump in, though, if I believe bad information is being given, especially on 70s which have held my interest for over fifty years...and I still learn things about them on a regular basis....

A few words of caution on Roger Rule's book...before its release it was common knowledge among many 70 experts (I was not one of the experts) that the book was coming and contained info on many rifles of dubious ancestry....the book is a trove of info on the more common guns BUT beware of exotic stuff so beautifully depicted in its pages....Many of these guns are FAKE, put together rifles....they are enough to make one drool with lust but did not come out of New Haven...unfortunately the fakery also extended to common, NIB (?) guns, too...to make matters worse a fellow in Michigan was turning out barrels in the rare (7.65, 9mm, etc.) and inscribing same with original factory tooling....no longer did a person have to find an original take-off barrel; he could get a new one that looked just like it really came from Winchester....I could go on and on but will stop....you get the picture...

Cheers,

BTB

I've been told that before and have also had my suspicions about some of the rifles. I've also ran across some minor discrepancies in his great book. However, it is the best reference book a guy can get in regards to the old model 70..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Dean Whitaker's book hits the high spots on the 70 while Rule really drilled down on the minutae...George Madis told me personally he had contemplated writing a book on the 70 but did not because he didn't want to lose friends...the 70's biggest issue is the total lack of verifiable factory data on individual rifles...

Several people have made a lot of $ peddling bad guns...even provenance is being faked to seal the deal with a tentative buyer....it's a damn shame that people cannot buy an unfettered specimen of the best production rifle this country has ever turned out without misgivings....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr Balltownbob, On a lighter note, non Winchester. What is your favorite cigar? I have several my all time favorite as per flavor is Bauza. very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dean Whitaker's book hits the high spots on the 70 while Rule really drilled down on the minutae...George Madis told me personally he had contemplated writing a book on the 70 but did not because he didn't want to lose friends...the 70's biggest issue is the total lack of verifiable factory data on individual rifles...

Several people have made a lot of $ peddling bad guns...even provenance is being faked to seal the deal with a tentative buyer....it's a damn shame that people cannot buy an unfettered specimen of the best production rifle this country has ever turned out without misgivings....

Very good points.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Many people assume that the guns pictured in the books by George Madis are, by virtue of appearing in his books, completely correct and original. I have found examples where because a rifle was in the book, it was felt (by the seller) to be worth a premium and also, to stand as incontrovertible evidence of the authenticity of the gun.

I won't dispute the fact that the majority of the guns pictured are correct.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I do not think Mr Rule would put a gun up that HE thought was counterfeit. I for one am very happy to have his book. very best winpoor

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I do not think Mr Rule would put a gun up that HE thought was counterfeit. I for one am very happy to have his book. very best winpoor

I've not heard anything to dispute that.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Unfortunately, you guys that haven't heard about Rule's shenanigans don't know a lot about him. After he moved to Hawaii, for example....check around if you know dealers who handled his books that never got books they paid for....Unfortunately for them he filed bankruptcy and they were unsecured creditors....

Oh I know, the above has nothing to do with all the "facts" he set forth in his book....

You guys in the dark need to get out more around the right people....

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Many people assume that the guns pictured in the books by George Madis are, by virtue of appearing in his books, completely correct and original. I have found examples where because a rifle was in the book, it was felt (by the seller) to be worth a premium and also, to stand as incontrovertible evidence of the authenticity of the gun.

George Madis' span of knowledge about Winchesters was vast. If you had known George you would have realized his skeptical and inquisitive nature did not accept guns at simple face value...his stories of living in Mexico studying Winchesters were some of my favorites...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Mr Balltownbob, On a lighter note, non Winchester. What is your favorite cigar? I have several my all time favorite as per flavor is Bauza. very best WinPoor

Patel Maduro Edge counterfeits...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Patel Maduro Edge counterfeits...

I got into cigars many,many years ago, Im trying to give the cigs up and go back to a cigar or 3 a day, I for one think the Cubans are very over rated, my airline capt pal used to bring em back from England and we would enjoy, but a big Bauza or Cuba Aliados works every time ! I have a 15 yr old box of Punch Chateau L double maduro that are 4 hr killer cigars. very best WinPoor

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

George Madis' span of knowledge about Winchesters was vast. If you had known George you would have realized his skeptical and inquisitive nature did not accept guns at simple face value...his stories of living in Mexico studying Winchesters were some of my favorites...

Why would you assume I didn't know him?

Are you disputing what I stated - that not all of what is pictured in his books were correct and authentic?

George was a very nice guy. He would have not been good as a physician where part of the job was to break bad news to patients. He was often very reluctant to deliver bad news to someone about their rifle.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Unfortunately, you guys that haven't heard about Rule's shenanigans don't know a lot about him. After he moved to Hawaii, for example....check around if you know dealers who handled his books that never got books they paid for....Unfortunately for them he filed bankruptcy and they were unsecured creditors....

Oh I know, the above has nothing to do with all the "facts" he set forth in his book....

You guys in the dark need to get out more around the right people....

You know sir I am trying real hard to be your Winchester Pal, but to come here and run Mr Rule down is making my job very hard, as such Im just going to put you over in the GFU column! very best to all on Mothers Day, This is my first without my wife and guys it sucks! WinPoor

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Very sorry about the loss of your wife, sir.

As for Rule you are entitled to your opinion as am I to mine...I think you and I see him from different perspectives...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Why would you assume I didn't know him?

Are you disputing what I stated - that not all of what is pictured in his books were correct and authentic?

George was a very nice guy. He would have not been good as a physician where part of the job was to break bad news to patients. He was often very reluctant to deliver bad news to someone about their rifle.

Because you never came out and said you knew him, perhaps? Why be catty? Is it because you just like to argue and disagree?

I would never dispute anyone who can tell from photos what's right and what isn't...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Absolutely agree about Cubans....good to agree with you on something... smile

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Very sorry about the loss of your wife, sir.

As for Rule you are entitled to your opinion as am I to mine...I think you and I see him from different perspectives...

It being Mothers day I am going to go with something my mother pushed me very hard on,'If you cannot say something nice about someone, say nothing at all!' So Mom this one is for you!
very best all and for the Good Lords sake Hug every mother you can as they may not be here next Mothers Day! WinPoor

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bob - I'm sure I didn't know him as well as you (and I'm not being catty or sarcastic). George enjoyed talking about Winchesters and I spent many hours in the evening enjoying conversation and learning from his large knowledge base. He was someone I very much enjoyed.

To clarify, I am not suggesting I could tell from the photos in the books that some rifles were not 100% authentic. Rather, it is came from knowledge from others over the years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ah... good, the popcorn is out.

I want to clarify that I think some reader's of the Madis books made the erroneous assumption that all rifles pictured were correct. Many collectors laid out their collections for George to photograph. This does not mean he performed the type evaluation he became known for on each rifle he photographed. And as stated, he was a nice fellow and for those that laid out their collections for him to photograph, I don't think he saw it as his role, or he had the inclination to comment negatively on those pieces he knew or suspected to not be 100% correct.

My beef is with those individuals who have come into possession of one of the rifles pictured and the conclusions they have drawn.

Personally, I am progressively thinking, lower dollar "character" pieces are the way to go. With the ever-growing fakery (including faked documentation), I am progressively more suspicious. There's a lot of good pieces out there and the majority of these are safely tucked away in collections. It's the stuff floating in circulation that carries the highest risk of burning someone. The mindset of, "caveat emptor" becomes more important with each passing day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Boltman, no cast on you just watching where this goes. just to tired to dive in,

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/11/14. Reason: can;t see the damn keys

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ah... good, the popcorn is out.

I want to clarify that I think some reader's of the Madis books made the erroneous assumption that all rifles pictured were correct. Many collectors laid out their collections for George to photograph. This does not mean he performed the type evaluation he became known for on each rifle he photographed. And as stated, he was a nice fellow and for those that laid out their collections for him to photograph, I don't think he saw it as his role, or he had the inclination to comment negatively on those pieces he knew or suspected to not be 100% correct.

My beef is with those individuals who have come into possession of one of the rifles pictured and the conclusions they have drawn.

Personally, I am progressively thinking, lower dollar "character" pieces are the way to go. With the ever-growing fakery (including faked documentation), I am progressively more suspicious. There's a lot of good pieces out there and the majority of these are safely tucked away in collections. It's the stuff floating in circulation that carries the highest risk of burning someone. The mindset of, "caveat emptor" becomes more important with each passing day.

So, who is or are the "Experts" out there today whose word is the gospel if a particular Winchester is or is not a fake. Who are the expert appraisers for even the common calibers? Seems like true "collectable" examples are the rare exception and where is the forgery/restoration line drawn even with the common calibers?

Seems like there is room for Winchester collectors as long as they stay away from the collectables. Which by the way, is how I think most viewed this forum from the beginning. wink

Last edited by battue; 05/11/14.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In my opinion we are all students. No one knows so much that there is nothing new for them to learn. However, there are levels of knowledge. Beginning students to advanced students. When it comes to pre-64 M70's, I've no doubt B.T.Bob can run rings around me as far as knowledge. I've always had some interest in them but never collected them as the older stuff interests me more.

Heck, a good share of the pre-64 M70's were made after I was born eek I remember when everything was, "pre-64."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"Students", is exactly right. We may not all have the same teachers either. The outlets may be very similar and information coinciding. This is where we may need to put our heads together and cross check our findings. This is something I enjoy about coming here. One thing I've personally seen is there are misnomers regarding the pre 64 model 70 just about everywhere you look. Here's an article that was written in the Sept. 1985 issue of guns and ammo. The writers of the article were Garry James and Roger Renner. Tell me this information wasn't misguided....:

[Linked Image]

As always, when being a good student, you have to be mindful of who our teachers are and how credible (or not) they are.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Randy Shuman is certainly in the top 3 in my book of people I trust implicitly when buying a Winchester....it's like buying jewelry. If you don't know what you're doing you better trust the guy you're doing business with...

I am not going to name those I do not buy from....many are plastered all over the Internet guns for sale sites....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bob - that's good to know about Randy. I know he has had a lot of extremely rare Winchesters over the years and I've never known whether he was credible or not. Lots of guys can write appealing ads but that doesn't mean a thing. The list of dealers to not buy from is a long one.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by southwind

I welcome your opinion but couldn't disagree more. Assuming original intent of the forum well just makes an "@$$" out of you. Also assuming the thoughts of members secures your position there.

I personally welcome all Winchester collectors and enthusiast and their appreciation of the Winchester brand no matter what form it takes.

For the new guys, and I'm one of them, a "pure" Pre-64 is out of most budgets. But you learn by doing, and so for the time being, it's playing with the Pre-64s that the "true" collectors don't want.

So, how does the work of shops like Doug Turnbull's fit into the Winchester community? Certainly not original, but produces very fine workmanship in the end product.

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/12/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
waiting for opinions.

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/12/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I guess Turnbull has a market and is able to sell his stuff. To me, it darn expensive and the net result is you end up with something that isn't original. I would much prefer a weathered gun over something turned out by him. I'm not running the quality of his work down. Some say it is every bit as good as what the factory produced. If that is so, it still doesn't matter to me.

I'm sure many feel the same as me and many feel differently.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I guess Turnbull has a market and is able to sell his stuff. To me, it darn expensive and the net result is you end up with something that isn't original. I would much prefer a weathered gun over something turned out by him. I'm not running the quality of his work down. Some say it is every bit as good as what the factory produced. If that is so, it still doesn't matter to me.

I'm with you...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Battue, the Winchester rifle you mentioned from LBH, was it by chance a single shot?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Which rifle? LBH?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Little Big Horn.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Little big Horn: just registered.
Been awhile, but I remember it as being a lever.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Turnbull produced weapons ,for me are like tiffany creations.
nice to look at but of no real practical use. give me a 1886 Winchester light weight take down in 45-70 and I get glassy eyed.
even if it has brush marks and faded finish. it is still class.
jm2centsw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Fairly sure i read about in an NRA magazine.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Turnbull produced weapons ,for me are like tiffany creations.
nice to look at but of no real practical use. give me a 1886 Winchester light weight take down in 45-70 and I get glassy eyed.
jm2centsw

I've seen a number of his pieces and I wouldn't care to own any of them. The color case is much too gaudy for my taste, and is unlike the original CC. The fit and finish on the wood is superb as you should expect for the prices being charged. But I, too, would much prefer an aged original to one of his artworks.
yooper

Last edited by yooper35; 05/12/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Turnbull produced weapons ,for me are like tiffany creations. nice to look at but of no real practical use. give me a 1886 Winchester light weight take down in 45-70 and I get glassy eyed.
jm2centsw

Deerstalker -

Do you mean one like this:

[Linked Image]

It might have a bit more finish than you can tolerate? Also the special order special length magazine might throw you off too. wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Randy Shuman is at the top of my list when it comes to experience, knowledge and honesty regarding old model 70s. Almost all of his rifles are collectors with few shooters and he has large quantities of 70s: for example, my last list has 15 .375s. He told me once that he never lists a 70 as 100% and looking at his listings 99% is as high as he rates. He is the man I call when I have a question regarding old 70s. He told me he'll never use the internet to list his rifles: just old school. 40+ years of collecting and dealing with old 70s.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Turnbull produced weapons ,for me are like tiffany creations. nice to look at but of no real practical use. give me a 1886 Winchester light weight take down in 45-70 and I get glassy eyed.
jm2centsw

Deerstalker -

Do you mean one like this:

[Linked Image]

It might have a bit more finish than you can tolerate? Also the special order special length magazine might throw you off too. wink

makes my sticker peck out!!!!!!!! and I'm a old guy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Randy Shuman is at the top of my list when it comes to experience, knowledge and honesty regarding old model 70s. Almost all of his rifles are collectors with few shooters and he has large quantities of 70s: for example, my last list has 15 .375s. He told me once that he never lists a 70 as 100% and looking at his listings 99% is as high as he rates. He is the man I call when I have a question regarding old 70s. He told me he'll never use the internet to list his rifles: just old school. 40+ years of collecting and dealing with old 70s.

I've counted Randy as a good friend for many years...He is at the top of the list of sellers in every respect. He does not handle bad guns and knows 70s better than anyone else out there....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse

I've counted Randy as a good friend for many years...He is at the top of the list of sellers in every respect. He does not handle bad guns and knows 70s better than anyone else out there....

I thought he had retired, I bought mod 70's from him in the mid 90's he would put out an old mimograph (sp?) list of guns, great guy. very best winpoor

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Randy is still at it. On the last written list he sent last fall, he said the cost to produce it (for free) is too much so charges a little to send it out. I think he has a new one about every 3 mo. Or you can call him. Usually has about 150 or so 70s on the list and a variety of other collectables. Most of lists have about 15-20 of the common and somewhat less common calibers, i.e. .257, Swift, .300 Win. .264,etc. and an occasional rarer .35 rem, .300 savage, 7mm, 250 Sav. and 1 or 2 Africans. A couple years ago he told me he bought a collection of around 300 70s, many of which he'd sold like 20 years ago and now is buying back after the owner has decided to sell.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How do you get in touch with him, the last list he sent me stayed in a big Midas book that I loaned out. very best winpoor

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Nobody works harder than Randy at buying good 70s....he's hard to stay up with at shows as he cruises the tables and virtually impossible to beat to the good guns!! He probably passes on two or three times more guns than he buys....

717 776 7861

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks Mr Balltown winpoor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I can say is I really like the ones I have and am proud of them. Collectors? Nah,Pre 64 Winchester Model 70's? Yep

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifles raybass. Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about getting a green stock like that one for my 30-06 fwt..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
+1 on Randy Shuman. I've done business with him and I've been to his shop in Newville, PA, a long time ago.

He, along with Don Criswell, are top notch on M-21s also.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Are you the thread police? Just don't click if you don't want to read it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.