-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In order of my preference (based on my experiences with the MK II, not the Hawkeye):

DO'S:
Smooth up the action, feed rails & ramp. Mine scratches brass like a cat on a post.
"Fix" the safety. Make it protude a bit more, make it larger, or both. Alternatively, go back to the tang safety (I don't mind the wing, just their implementation of it).
Increase the LOP a smigde.
Lighten the trigger to 3 to 3 1/2 lbs.
Lighten the action 6 to 8 ounces.
Lower profile bases / rings.

DONT'S:
NO REMOVABLE MAG.

I largely like the platform as-is. I don't believe my list is in anyway unreasonable or cost prohibitive and I'd love to see those changes.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How would you improve the Ruger Hawkeye

Simply trade it in on a M-70!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Ruger hawkeye is just that..... a Hawkeye. It has its own character, personality, feel. Some like it, some love it, some just manage to get by, some hate it.

My Hawkeye in 270 Win wears a Hogue stock with the full length bedding block. Its a hunting rifle at that, something that can take the hard knocks, mud, dirt, [bleep] - everything you throw at it!! Does the job I need it to do.

Could we make it better ...... yeah probably .....but then it wouldnt be what it is!!!

Gus

Last edited by Gus_K; 10/26/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gus_K
A Ruger hawkeye is just that..... a Hawkeye. It has its own character, personality, feel. Some like it, some love it, some just manage to get by, some hate it.

My Hawkeye in 270 Win wears a Hogue stock with the full length bedding block. Its a hunting rifle at that, something that can take the hard knocks, mud, dirt, [bleep] - everything you throw at it!! Does the job I need it to do.

Could we make it better ...... yeah probably .....but then it wouldnt be what it is!!!

Gus

Nicely said Gus. However, You left out the part where it shoots lights out too grin. I like my pre 64's and other CRF winchester model 70's but my Ruger M77's can do anything they can with just as much accuracy and reliability. What more does one want. The rugers are just a little rough around the edges but once they are cleaned up a bit they are very worth while.......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bring back the deep shiny bluing!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Gus_K

Gus

Nicely said Gus. However, You left out the part where it shoots lights out too grin. I like my pre 64's and other CRF winchester model 70's but my Ruger M77's can do anything they can with just as much accuracy and reliability. What more does one want. The rugers are just a little rough around the edges but once they are cleaned up a bit they are very worth while.......

BSA, agree with ya. Mine keeps my other makes and calibres company. When I feel I want to hunt with that one, out it comes.

Gus

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought my first Hawkeye. It's a 223, brand new for $400 at the local Scheel's on closeout. Figured I couldn't go wrong at that price, had a 270 also but I'm 270 poor. Never had a 223 sporter before so thought I would give it a try. Haven't shot it yet but seems like a nice rifle, triger is pretty decent too.

`Bring Enough Gun`
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love mine just fine. Lighter trigger would be a blessing and I wish I could've had my RCM without sights (I know, I'm about the only one who doesn't want them!).

I have no problem with the safety, I absolutely LOVE everything about the walnut stock, like the shorter LOP when hunting, and I am doing just fine with the factory butt pad.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Smooth up the action, put a bigger safety on it for when you are wearing gloves. I like it cuz its a tough reliable SOB of a rifle that always go bang when I pull the trigger, in my experience anyways. I've always gotten good accuracy out of mine as well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep it all steel & walnut,add more chamberings(classics)fix the safety...Just keep it better than Savage and Remingtons and you have a winner!
Did I say I like my 6.5 Creedmoor....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do not like the bass ackward safety on my pre-war model 70. That one also turns me off on the CZ 527. I kind of like my safeties to be on fire in the forward position.

As to the Ruger, when your hands become arthritic, a larger lever would be a good thing. As for Devcon, a friend swears he repaired an English sports car engine block with the stuff years ago and it held up.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't have any major issues with the Hawkeye. Never had trouble with the safety or the angled action screw. I like mine pretty well as they are and each has shot fine.

I must admit the newer ones with the return to the gloss deep blue have my attention. There's one in a local shop with some of the best factory bluing I've seen in years.

If I were making improvements, it could go on a diet. I love the Hawkeye's walnut stock. The rings work fine but are admittedly heavier than need be and most of mine have since purchased, been replaced with Leupold lows. Otherwise, I actually prefer the old Mk II shiny SS version over the matte, but not by much.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I can deal with the safety.

My two big wishes would be that Ruger either develop or collaborate with someone to

make LW aluminum or titanium scope rings

Build a LW (sub 24oz) fiberglass or kevlar type stock. McMillan, Banser, or Brown come to mind. Fund a little R&D or a mold or what ever it takes.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Ok, since no one else has said it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tie it to an anvil, row out to the middle of the Atlantic, and sink it to the bottom. Then go buy the Winchester that you really wanted in the first place. smile

If only Winchester would make one of their new M70 Extreme Weather's in 375 H&H with a 22" barrel we would be there!

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=535110

Problem is that winchesters aren't what they were. multi-piece bolts and enclosed triggers. The Ruger is perhaps truer to the ideal CRF than the current Winchester. Add in the fact that the Ruger receiver actually weighs less than the Winchester. Just need a stock option and some LW rings

Id love a stainless pre-64... but they don't exist.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on the particular set those Ruger rings will weigh 4 ounces each - that's half a pound added to the weight of the rifle in scope rings alone. I can see the theoretical benefit of permanently milled in scope bases but that limits you to rings made specifically to fit those bases. If they're going to do that they could change to a universal Weaver pattern or better yet just forgo them for a round top receiver and let the user supply bases and rings. It's a nice idea in theory and to Ruger's credit they give you rings with the rifle but if'n I had my druthers I'd rather just have all the options of doing it myself.

IIRC McMillan can't make a lightweight Edge fill stock due to that angled front screw since the design does not allow enough meat in the recoil shoulder area.

Again, nice idea when it first came out - pull the action back into the recoil shoulder area to make up for the variances of mass produced wooden stocks but it has had unforeseen ramifications down the road.

That said, I like my Hawkeyes. The stock triggers are dependable and can be worked down to a nice crisp hunting pull. Accuracy is good to excellent in my small 3 rifle sample. Actions can be rough (bumpity bumpity bump) or have a fairly smooth bolt throw. Not lightweights but not as heavy as any of my Model 70's out of the box (until you add those boat anchor scope rings wink ).

It is what it is and what most all Ruger products are - a solid, dependable product, strong and tough as hell, not necessarily as "refined" as some but more accurate than you'd think they should be and offered at a very reasonable price compared to the competition.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How would you improve the Ruger Hawkeye?.....

Nothing a tomato plant wouldn't fix.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pretty much like it as it is......but the name needs to be changed. The Ruger Hawkeye is a single-shot pistol.....not a rifle. I still get confused when I see that name an discover it is a new rifle, not an older pistol.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just put the safety back on the tang where it belongs and I will live with any other gripes I might have.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Just put the safety back on the tang where it belongs and I will live with any other gripes I might have.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner right there!

Dale

This space for rent

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.