D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Originally Posted by djs
Why does the US Post Office subsidize Alaska package delivery to remote towns and villages? These subsidies have cost the PO $2,500,000,000 over the past decades! To cut government subsidies and expenditures, the Congress is cutting programs that benefit large numbers of people, but is continuing to subsidize a few. If people want to live of the gird, they should pay for the right and not expect the rest of us to do it for them.

See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_story.html?hpid=z1

Yeah! All them damn natives should move to the city like everyone else! Why should the fact that their families have lived on the edge for hundreds of years get them special services like mail? (TIC)

I have no problem with them living wherever they want; I do have a problem with subsidizing air delivery of Coca Cola.

D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Well gee, since there are so few people in Wyoming, the feds out to not subsidize building any highways there then.

Interesting point. I was involved in the development (planing) of the Interstate highway system and raised this issue in the mid-1960's. My boss, Ross Kruser (father of the Highway Trust Fund) just looked at me and said "The nation needs a continuous highway system, not a patchwork. Products are shipped across the nation and they need to be moved expeditiously. If we don't fund a continuous highway system, commerce will grind to a slow march"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So - are YOU the asswhipe that is responsible for I-80 taking the shortest route through a horrible vortex of wind at Arlington, Wyoming rather than following the path of the railroad further north, resulting in the most-closed section of interstate in the country?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by fish head
I don't think it's a big deal and something to fret over.

What would you have the USPS do?

Charge by the mile for every rural delivery everywhere in the US of A?

What about the West where people live hundreds of miles from an airport and the main mode of delivery is by vehicles driving hither and yonder across the wide open prairie?

Would you charge them more?

If you're mailing a letter across town would you pay less?

YES! If people choose to live in inaccessible places and it costs more to serve them should pay higher fees. Just as you if you live in a hurricane prone coastal area, you SHOULD pay higher insurance fees to address the higher potential damage.

Fish, really?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
So - are YOU the asswhipe that is responsible for I-80 taking the shortest route through a horrible vortex of wind at Arlington, Wyoming rather than following the path of the railroad further north, resulting in the most-closed section of interstate in the country?

Nope, the Bureau of Public Roads (now Federal Highway Administration) just outlined destinations between major cities that the states needed to connect. The individual states picked the actual routes based on state/local politics and costs (environmental considerations were not considered at the time). If you have a problem with the I-80 routing in Wyoming, take it up with your state highway department.

My role was to analyze the estimated costs and ensure that the Interstates would link up at state borders. You'd be amazed at some of the proposed alignments; many were off by dozens of miles; a lot of negotiating was required (in which I did not participate in).

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother is an engineer with WYDOT. He's said many times how stupid it was to put the road there. It cost much more trying to keep it open that going an extra 15 miles north.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poboy
Why does Alaska even need mail and stuff? cool

We don't, keep those IRS forms and Alaska Magazines in Seattle where they belong. cry

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs
Why does the US Post Office subsidize Alaska package delivery to remote towns and villages? These subsidies have cost the PO $2,500,000,000 over the past decades! To cut government subsidies and expenditures, the Congress is cutting programs that benefit large numbers of people, but is continuing to subsidize a few. If people want to live of the gird, they should pay for the right and not expect the rest of us to do it for them.

See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_story.html?hpid=z1

Yeah! All them damn natives should move to the city like everyone else! Why should the fact that their families have lived on the edge for hundreds of years get them special services like mail? (TIC)

I have no problem with them living wherever they want; I do have a problem with subsidizing air delivery of Coca Cola.

Well, it'd be delivered by truck, except there ain't any roads. Alaska has minimal, at best, infrastructure, and as such most rural communities are serviced via air.
We kinda like the remoteness up here, and as Uncle Ted once said, we're about 100 years behind the Lesser 48 in regards to roads and public services. Hell, there are villages up here with honeybuckets as there is no sewage system available, and you've got your thong in a twist over subsidized USPS service?
Tell ya what, we'll sell our oil to the highest bidder, as opposed to the U.S at their set prices, and then we'll be happy to cut the USPS subsidy.
There's a chit load of gubbiment waste, and programs, ain't no argument here. But bitching about folks who've lived Out There since before Alaska was even on a map getting a basic service like mail sure do show your inability to grasp much....

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."

- Plato
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Federal Mineral Mining Act has taken more than 50 Billion out of Alaska. They tax the gross oil revenues and not the net that Alaska taxes. They have taken much more than they have given.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs

No argument there, however, how would you suggest they control that? Would you be okay with presenting any or all of your mail for inspection upon request?

BTW, I have a much greater problem with the fact that "food stamps" funds things like Coca-Cola and other soda, along with a whole bunch of other virtually worthless items that some people consume and call food. There are plenty of places where waste could be cut. The US Postal Service is not where I'd start; and yes, I'd be more than content with mail a couple times per week. It wouldn't be much of a savings out here however and they'd need a bigger building to store the mail.

BTW, the "hazardous, perishable, liquids" deal only references a line of questioning that can be pursued. There are limitations and restrictions, not an all-out ban just because they fall into one of those categories.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I agree, kill ANYTHING that funds anything rural. The sooner we can get everyone out of the sticks and jammed into a city, the better it will be for the government.

Damned straight. Then it will be just me and the musk-ox out there . Feck the Natives! smile

Although I have to say, I am all in favor of eliminating soda from the by-pass mail subsidies. As a ramper in Kotzebue, I'd estimate that nearly 40% of the bypass mail weight of "food products" is soda-pop, which is an unnecessary and unhealthy "food product". Heavy. And often tipped over, so require restacking, which galls all our butts...

While we are at it, lets eliminate subsidies to ports, airports, and interstate highways all across America. Who needs food delivery and interstate commerce anyway?

After all, those bananas, coffee, tea, and kiwi fruit just majically appears in the Safeways.... Those Mezkins will happily tote it across the desert regions on their backs...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Again DJS, what about the $30 billion + a year to Puerto Rico?

I do take comfort in knowing DJS is much older and I'll be breathing air LONG after he's gone.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Billions of taxpayer dollars are spent annually to keep the USPS in operation, regardless of where they deliver.

Hell, lets stop all city deliveries so that rural will be less expensive
City folk can just walk to the post office and pick up their mail.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Billions of taxpayer dollars are spent annually to keep the USPS in operation, regardless of where they deliver.

Pretty simple ain't it? Besides, they have all the public transportation so imagine how much of a green impact it will make to have all city f*cks, I mean folks, walk or take the electric street cars to the post office.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Not directed at FieldGrade but there is a lot of ignorance shown on this thread. Better to compare actual dollars than to percentages for one. Those who use the percentage comparison are falling into the liberal mindset.

No sweat Keith. I was just questioning the fact that 12 packs of soda pop are actually shipped to someone's front door via USPS.
As FUBAR as the postal system is I'd have to see some proof on that one before I believed it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It is kind of irritating when an airline worker comes in and mails a couple pallets of water for 50 cents a pound. Then a little while drives around the back and picks it up and ships it to whatever village and gets paid $1.50 per pound to dump it out on the runway.

Last edited by Harms; 06/30/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by arctic338
I agree, kill ANYTHING that funds anything rural. The sooner we can get everyone out of the sticks and jammed into a city, the better it will be for the government.

Well said.

DJS why don't you go after welfare, billions spent on illegal immigrants etc. if you want to make a name for yourself.

Something tells me that djs feeds rather heavily at the federal trough himself. Of course, don't gore that ox, as it's most important.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TBREW401

Pretty simple ain't it? Besides, they have all the public transportation so imagine how much of a green impact it will make to have all city f*cks, I mean folks, walk or take the electric street cars to the post office.

That makes way the Hell too much sense.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Again DJS, what about the $30 billion + a year to Puerto Rico?

I do take comfort in knowing DJS is much older and I'll be breathing air LONG after he's gone.

Good morning Steelhead:

I agree with you on the subsidies to Puerto Rico and oppose them also.

As for longevity, my dad lived to 101, so I might have 28 years to go; you might have a heart attack before I'm gone! Let me know if you do and I'll plan to attend the funeral.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While we may not look at sending a 12 pack of Cokes as being the most prudent thing to do, WHO are you going to put in charge of censorship about what is shipped and not shipped?

Have we not had enough of this kind of vilification out of the USPS with shipping guns or ammo, or primers?

While we may scoff at someone getting Cokes, how many people are out there that don't think we ought to be mailed firearms?

What is next? Mom can't send you cookies? Your buddy can't mail you a half gallon of your favorite bourbon?

Who the hell do you trust to be the censor on this?

Some of you that are normally conservative are sure starting to sound pretty "liberalish" on this issue.

Who really GAF if someone gets a 12 pack of Cokes in the mail? I sure think it beats the alternative... frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 338Rules, 30incher, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,324
Posts18,505,854
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.