-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine served in the 15th Missouri Cavalry. They were involved in small battles and skirmishes.

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Recently I spent about two weeks in southeastern U.S. I was talking to someone near Huntsville, Alabama one night and was asked what I was looking for while in that area of the country. I mentioned I enjoyed touring Civil War battlefields and learning new history about them. He remarked, "If you want to know about the Civil War you come to the right place. Many folks are still fighting it down here".

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Coloradobob, his regiment was the 150th PVI. Most of the companies in the 150th were from the western part of the state with a couple from Philadelphia if I remember right.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm a fourth generation Texan on both sides with Confederate veteran ancestors. I am a strong believer in States Rights; I believe the current Federal government is too big and out of control. But, there is historically no question: no slavery - no Civil War.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
151 years ago my great-grandmother's brother was with the 13th Mississippi Inf. Regt. at Gettysburg. Her husband, my great grandfather, was with the 40th Alabama Inf. Regt. at Vicksburg. A great-great grandfather from my mother's side was with the 42nd Alabama Inf. Regt. at Vicksburg. My wife's great great grandfather was with the 39th Georgia Inf. Regt. at Vicksburg also. I have stood on the very ground that all of these men fought on, and it is surely hallowed. What they fought for was the right of self-government and Constitutional principles as established by the founders of this nation. I am honored to have been blessed with their blood.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bucktails were backwoods-types who could shoot -- unlike many of the North's urban volunteers and later draftees. Many of the bucktails were promised new Sharpes rifles -- some even got them.

You guys are so deep in denial there is no point in further correcting the record. One more time, tho just for laughs...

The south was the biggest backer of the federal power as long as they could use it to protect slavery. When all the demographics and economic development trends made the north strong enough to even threaten to acquire equal status on national affairs that mattered, you tried to break the Union by force of arms. We stopped you. Game over! Now get a life and stop the whining.

1B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Great Great Uncle served in a unit from Pennsylvania, right down along the Ohio border. He was killed in combat, shot off the saddle by a Confederate sniper. I am the proud owner of an 1851 Navy Colt which came down through the family. It supposedly was his sidearm. Don't know for sure if that's true or not, but it is a family heirloom none the less.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a great uncle killed at Gettysburg on the second day. Pvt. Newton Nimrod Nash, 13th Mississippi. Took a canister ball in the belly when Barksdale's brigade smashed in Sickles salient.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The south was the biggest backer of the federal power as long as they could use it to protect slavery. When all the demographics and economic development trends made the north strong enough to even threaten to acquire equal status on national affairs that mattered, you tried to break the Union by force of arms. We stopped you. Game over! Now get a life and stop the whining.

That might have been what you was taught in school but I was taught different. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Why do southerners conveniently forget the "Cornerstone Speech" of Confederate Vice President Alexander H. Stephens?

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
They were not given a pleasant welcome.

Remembering two GG Uncles. both brothers of two different GG grandfathers whom were also brothers-in-law.

Lt. Thomas Jefferson Moncure ANV. Gen. McLaws staff engineer. Inspect the Round Tops before the attack

Joseph Walden Norment , Co G, 4th Virginia Cav. Out riding around with Stuart.

Also remembering the brave men in both armies, who did give the last full measure of devotion.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/02/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why do southerners conveniently forget the "Cornerstone Speech" of Confederate Vice President Alexander H. Stephens?

Look for the truth in speeches made by politicians in your lifetime. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
What's this Civil War that everyone's talkin' about?

More aptly named the war of Northern Aggression

As Granny put it on the 'Beverly Hillbillies', "The war between the Americans and the yankees."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 1B
The bucktails were backwoods-types who could shoot -- unlike many of the North's urban volunteers and later draftees. Many of the bucktails were promised new Sharpes rifles -- some even got them.

You guys are so deep in denial there is no point in further correcting the record. One more time, tho just for laughs...

1B

You...need to do a lot more reading...not that it would help!!

Last edited by RMulhern; 07/02/14.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
What's this Civil War that everyone's talkin' about?

More aptly named the war of Northern Aggression

As Granny put it on the 'Beverly Hillbillies', "The war between the Americans and the yankees."

Some years ago I was in North Carolina hunting swans.

I sound like I'm from the northern USA. The locals were friendly, but got MUCH more friendly when they found out that I was "a foreigner and not a Damnyankee" smile

John

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
It's easy for us now to set back and discuss the what if's and the reasons for the conflict. There has been over 150 years of "history" written on the affair. But on days like today, I try to put myself in the mind set of that kid from Tennessee, awaiting that assault at Franklin. Or that young fellow from New York about to make the same kind of assault at Spotsylvania. Or a thousand other men, brothers, sons, husbands, lying on a blanket suffering from typhus, pneumonia, "military" fever, you name it. That would never see their home or loved ones in this world again.

I wish to remember those who answered the call on both sides. Regardless of their reasons. They are all gone now. And the vast majority of them came to terms with the outcome. And many, in those later days, did receive their former enemy, with outstretched hand in brotherly love.

That's the way I wish to remember them. Without the stench of political bickering fouling the nostrils.

That's just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
It's easy for us now to set back and discuss the what if's and the reasons for the conflict. There has been over 150 years of "history" written on the affair. But on days like today, I try to put myself in the mind set of that kid from Tennessee, awaiting that assault at Franklin. Or that young fellow from New York about to make the same kind of assault at Spotsylvania. Or a thousand other men, brothers, sons, husbands, lying on a blanket suffering from typhus, pneumonia, "military" fever, you name it. That would never see their home or loved ones in this world again.

I wish to remember those who answered the call on both sides. Regardless of their reasons. They are all gone now. And the vast majority of them came to terms with the outcome. And many, in those later days, did receive their former enemy, with outstretched hand in brotherly love.

That's the way I wish to remember them. Without the stench of political bickering fouling the nostrils.

Yep.

75 years after the battle.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Southerners act like every Yankee wanted to be in the Army killing Rebels.The Truth is they were conscripted just the same as WWII ,Korea and Vietnam.My great grandfather lost a leg fighting that stupid war because he could not afford the $300.00 to buy out of it.I am sure he would have been happy to keep farming and really did not give a fat fug who succeeded from The Union.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

YOu nailed it 100 percent my friend!!! HEL L I have relatives that faught on both sides myself, big deal is what you said. There is no more glory from being on one side or the other.

by the way, guess those union boys at pickett's charge were pretty stout too................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had two relatives on Dad's side who where at Gettysburg.

Shame the North didn't let them go their own way. Eventually they would have come back with hat in hand asking to be let in.

Cotton was a losing business and most were land rich and cash poor. A boom and bust economy that most years went bust. Doomed for failure and that was all they could make at the time. Wouldn't have been all that long until they were asking the North to help solve their problems.

Lincoln's mistake was thinking we needed the South. We didn't.

Last edited by battue; 07/02/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.