Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Bob, I've been using them in a .300 RUM since the 200 grainer has been available. Lot's of dead critters of every size at lot's of yardages. They are a damn tough bullet and I've pushed then to the limit. mtmuley

I agree. And I've shot them fast out of stuff like 300 Wby and 7STW.

Darn good bullet.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mtmuley yes, the 200 gr is a good bullet. A few friends use them from 300 magnums and one killed a 6x6 with a couple last year. Not arguing it isn't good....but apparently what might have happened here could happen with any of them if they strike bone at an angle and simply don't dig in.

I know they work. But if they strike at an angle any bullet could deflect off bone under similar circumstances.

If that happened I can't regard it as any sort of a "bullet failure", regardless of make.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/06/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 805
Bob
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the shot angle had it skimming along instead of penetrating the shoulder.

+2. Steep, uphill angle and wound high on the shoulder.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
After shooting several elk with 180 gr AB's in a 300 WSM, that's exactly the kind of performance I expect from them. I won't use them again.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obliterated one shoulder, lodged in the hide on the offside of a decent sized bull this year. (160gr from 280 - 302yds)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've seen the 7mmRM, 160AB, 3000fps take 2 wildebeest, 2 oryx, zebra, and a kudu, all pretty tough animals. Performance was what I'd call exemplary, especially since crushing through shoulders is preferred over there.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by 805
Bob
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the shot angle had it skimming along instead of penetrating the shoulder.

+2. Steep, uphill angle and wound high on the shoulder.

+3. I've had great performance out of them in my 7wsm with 160s3000 fps from 30 to 550yards

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No way a 165gr at 30-06 speeds could have done that with a direct hit. Just isn't possible.

ACLakey Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think some of the comments regarding the steep up hill angle and contact with the blade makes sense. I think it was a fluke but am still amazed by this happening.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
all rifles will fail, all scopes will fail, all ammo will fail.

I think the angle was probably the biggest issue there.

I am still waiting to see a barnes fail for me or friends, but I expect I"ll see it sooner or later.

Personally for elk in an 06 I'd be running 180s of about any standard bullets flavor. But I really think that the angle was the issue here. Like tossing a stone at a flat water surface... I suspect it kind of skipped in a way.

Being that high of an angle the ideal would have been a very low entry shot though, and exit high due to angle. As it was if this one had penetrated it may well, dependign on angle, only stunned the elk with a hit above the spine, rather than killed it.

Bottom line, the shooter knew to never drop your guard, and to keep shooting, till its down and out, and all was good.

Loved the story and pics. Especially the last picture.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

ACLakey Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see nothing to indicate the bullet glanced off bone.. rather it was such a shallow angle the bullet went straight through the little bit of flesh presented to it. That opened it enough to see bone, but the bone from the pictures is not damaged like one would expect of a glancing bullet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm certainly not any kind of expert on bullet performance considering I've only shot one deer with a 165gr accubond from a 30-06 at 50 or so yards last year. Performance was exceptional on sample size of one. Never found the bullet.

Armed with 140gr accubonds for my antelope hunt this coming week out of a 280AI.

If I were to follow all the threads on bullet failure here and take them all to heart, I don't think there would be a bullet left to use! So I guess I just pick the best I can and take my chances, hope for the best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lesson in shot placement glad the follow ups worked well.

I look at the AB as a better Ballistic Tip and would aim accordingly.

Use Partitions if you want Partition performance, not sure they wouldn't have acted same way in this situation though.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I see nothing to indicate the bullet glanced off bone.. rather it was such a shallow angle the bullet went straight through the little bit of flesh presented to it. That opened it enough to see bone, but the bone from the pictures is not damaged like one would expect of a glancing bullet.

That could be, too.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

So the bullet never struck bone? Just exposed it. Interesting theory.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just ain't buying that this was a direct hit. The bullet either hit something prior to entry or was at such an angle that is just skinned the elk. I have seen many wounds like that and all were from poor entry angles.

There is just no way an accubond did that.

Last edited by heavywalker; 11/06/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
...broadside and up hill...

AC do you think the bullet hit at an angle and skidded instead of digging in,given the angle and the impact with the bone? A friend had that happen on a brown bear one time....not with an AB though.

Beat me to it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

So the bullet never struck bone? Just exposed it. Interesting theory.

I have the "luxury" of having seen quite a few poorly placed shots over the years. Bullets bouncing off bone do not leave white bone behind. If I read the pictures correctly there is white bone at the bottom of that wound.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 22kHornet, 45 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,266
Posts18,504,910
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.