Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use a spotting scope.

When you put your rifle scope on game, you should already have decided it was going to die and not be looking for "defects".

At least you use binoculars. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a hunter pointing his gun at me only to look up and wave. Granted, that was PA.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm with Rich. If he's identified something as a game animal, go ahead and study the heck out of it with the scope. What's the issue??? It's already been identified, it's NOT a hunter, it's game. If his style of hunting doesn't want the extra 57 ounces, tripod, and time it takes to use, (mine doesn't either) then use the scope.

Seems like half these threads on the fire end up in a pissing match because people have pretty piss poor reading comprehension.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No pissing match here, from me anyway.

I use binos to identify targets, not just game. As said, carry on as you see fit.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
carry on as you see fit.

Thank you. smile

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Interesting never have hunted on public land so I had never given it much thought when walking I just use my rifle optics sitting on the side of a canyon binos are handy

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
smokepole,

Seems that if you have a decent set of binos, and you're already on the animal, the need to use a rifle scope to see if you want to shoot would be minimized.

You are correct for most of hunting. If you don't mind, read the three examples I gave. No matter how good your 7X or 8X binos they would not work in the scenarios. I compared a $2,340 Swarovski 8.5X binoculars with a 10X Tasco scope and the Tasco won for showing the most detail. When something reaches its limit, it has reached its limit. When something is good enough it is good enough.

While i normally wouldnt jump into a thread about optics, in this case, i have a different opinion that reflects that we are all different with how our eyes see things.

I was at a local sporting goods store and got to compare some Vortex 8x42 binos and a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42. I was looking at a binocular chart with pictures of animals and terrain features on it. With the binos, i was able to see more. Just a better FOV i guess, and the scope, while good, took more magnification to see the same things.

I will openly say that i dont know what caused that, but i am convinced i need a set of binos now.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My Swarovski z5 5-25X52 has to be on 14X to show me the same detail my Alpen 10X50 binos do. The Alpens cost $450 the Swarovski cost $1,500.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
I will openly say that i dont know what caused that, but i am convinced i need a set of binos now.

Well, they don't it "binocular vision" for nothing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Four legs - good.
Two legs - Bad.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet that on most hunts that I do, I spend less than 15 seconds looking through the rifle scope, if not considerably less than that.

If I didn't kill a critter, I probably didn't look through the scope once.

Tanner

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
I bet that on most hunts that I do, I spend less than 15 seconds looking through the rifle scope, if not considerably less than that.

Tanner

Agreed.

Just yesterday, I walked out to a call stand, probably a mile from the truck in deep snow. When I got to my stand, I realized I'd left my binoculars in the pickup. Without hesitation, I walked back and got them....and it paid off.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've had people ask why I wear so much orange when I am bird hunting, and why I have my son do the same.

Now you know....

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Tanner

Agreed.

Just yesterday, I walked out to a call stand, probably a mile from the truck in deep snow. When I got to my stand, I realized I'd left my binoculars in the pickup. Without hesitation, I walked back and got them....and it paid off.

I left my binocs in the truck on a Mule deer hunt once.... once. Grin...

Tanner

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Tanner

Agreed.

Tanner

^^^^^^^

This

I would literally rather hunt without my rifle than without my binocs.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't you normally use binos to confirm dink status before pulling the trigger?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I went out one day antelope hunting on the prairie with a little snow on the ground. I forgot my normal use binos and had an old pair in the truck. Even with old dim binos it was a waste of time even going hunting ,could not tell antelope from prairie... Was a short frustrating ride and just a waste of gas.
There is no legitimate excuse for not carrying binos. Anyone claiming there is no time or that are just making excuses. Safety and knowing ones target trump pointing your gun at someone every time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

Tanner

Agreed.

Tanner

^^^^^^^

This

I would literally rather hunt without my rifle than without my binocs.

I say this all the time people look at me like I am crazy. I cant remember the last Deer or Elk I shot that I didnt look over with Bino's first.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I forgot my binos once also. Rather than go back to the truck, I used the range finder as a monocular. The 7X21 Leica is quite good as a substitute.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
lol

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1234, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,556
Posts18,473,040
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.