T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Ah, the drama of the auction!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Mallet drops on 1926, whoa.

I wasn't too far off at $1,850.00..... laugh. Jim in Idaho said $2,000.00 and he was closer than my guess by $2.00... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't believe someone would be so stupid to spend that kind of money on an average factory gun. The MRC rifles are much better and cost a lot less.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought the other LH Winchester (the 7RM) on Gun Broker today, and that price makes me feel better about what I paid.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
I can't believe someone would be so stupid to spend that kind of money on an average factory gun. The MRC rifles are much better and cost a lot less.

Not necessarily. I was quoted a price of $1,968.37 plus shipping on a left hand XWR SS rifle just the other day. Here's the email. This is straight from the horses mouth. I don't buy into this bs about it going thru the custom shop, but what the fu ck ever...:

Hi,

Happy New Year and thank you for your interest in Montana Rifle Company!

Yes, we sure can, that would go through the custom shop and the cost would be $1968.37 plus shipping.

Thanks and let me know if we can get one of these great rifles started for you.

Sincerely,

Larry

Larry Craven

Sales Manager

Montana Firearms Group Like us on Facebook

3178 MT Hwy 35

Kalispell, Montana 59901

(406) 756-4867 Ext 206 (Office)

(406) 756-4874 (FAX)

www.montanarifleco.com

[email protected]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Last week I found a CM model of the same rifle for a left handed pal;he grabbed it for $575;picked it up on Monday. I would never have paid $2k for the same rifle in SS...there's not THAT much difference.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gosh Bob, wish I had you find me one.
My whole life I've wanted Winchesters in Left hand. I just got tired of losing the auctions.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

I was tempted to jump in and do something "stupid" as well. However, two things held me up. First, I netted out in the same place as gerrygoat. I can do a custom build on an MRC action for comparable money and have everything just the way I want it. Second, being the "tinkerer" that I am, it would only be a matter of time before I did something that would kill the collector value such as rebarrel or Black-T...

Congrats to the seller and the buyer...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Richard I bump into them... smile They show here now and then....some mag and some std bolt face.

This pal asked me in November to keep an eye peeled for one and I found it last week. I actually found him two but the other one had been customized with a Brux 270 barrel and Bansner stock.....that one was over $2k,and he did not want to spend that much.

PM me your contact info (cell #) and if I see one I will let you know.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/16/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
...Congrats to the seller and the buyer...

My sentiments exactly. The seller got a great price, the buyer got a rare item that he obviously valued quite highly and that's the way the free market works. Congratulations to both of them.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You don't see many out here but this summer I was lucky enough to stumble upon two NIB left hand Featherweights in 270 WM and 7mm WSM. A gunstore owner had put away two of them with the best wood and when he retired he passed them on to the store owner where I found them. That owner was selling them for the current cost of a comparable right hand model and had just put both on his shelf that morning. Not the most desirable chamberings but I snapped up the 270 WSM and advertised the other here and I believe that one was sold the next day.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jim nice snags! wink

I have a few left hand friends who hunt...they keep eyes peeled for them. One has a few rifles built on the actions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I think of how many LH Model 70 .30-06's have passed through my hands in the last 19 years... cry

FWIW, the stainless steel models were only made for one year in the first year of LH production, 1996 IIRC or maybe 1997. They have the little screw in the upper right side of the bolt shroud which I understand is the more desirable design, later models dispensed with it. I also recall one of the gun writers reporting that D'Arcy Echols had used several of those early LH 70's for custom rifles and said they were the straightest (squarest) actions on a factory rifle he'd ever seen, so their quality was top notch.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There were a few common problems of the era though:

1) Triggers: Usually could be correctly quite easily. Some just were not adjusted well at the factory. Some were 6-8# out of the box, and rough. But the design at least allows a trigger job without aftermarket trigger a necessity

2) Accuracy: Most were decent. Some were bad. Again, usually could be corrected. Bedding, barrel stock pressure, and screw torque were common causes of accuracy issues. I don't know that there were any "bad" barrels out there.

3) Scope mount holes: This was one bad problem. For some reason, as good as the actions were, they did not get the scope mount holes straight on all the actions. This sometimes meant using a scope base with adjustable windage, because with fixed bases, there would not be enough windage adjustment in the scope to compensate for the yaw. This was the case on the one I had. You could visibly see how much the rear ring was offset on the base to run true. Talley Manufacturing knew about this problem, and said that their rings/bases could not be used on some of the guns because of this issue.

All in all, good guns though, and it was a shame they only had the limited production of the SS. But, for $1925 now, a safer bet would be the Montana. At least there would be customer service possible if there was an issue.

Last edited by KenMi; 01/16/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those types of rigs, Gunbroker is definitely the sellers friend. I'd go MRC if I needed a control feed, but gimping along with my 700s�.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Well, in the interest of conversation, I will now fess up that I was the seller of that rifle. I did not post it for sale here in the classifieds because I did not have the ballz to ask the kind of money I suspected it would bring at auction. I did not post much about the ad before this because shilling your own auction seems crass.

By the end of the auction, the ad had been opened about 600 times, and there were 45 watchers. Five separate guys had bid more than $1200 for it. I know that the final buyer was willing to pay more for the rifle than he ultimately did, because he put in a "protection bid" above his $1926 purchase price. While I won't provide any information about the buyer, I will say he lives in a southeastern (i.e., hot and humid) state where a stainless rifle makes a lot more sense that it does for me in the arid west. So it was worth more to him than to me, and that is the basis for a market transaction.

I got the rifle by trading off a LH blued .270 and an undisclosed amount of cash. I have come to realize that my hoarding of LH Winchesters probably does not make sense, so have sold off four in the past year--two here on the campfire (a 7mm Rem and a .375 H&H) and two on gunbroker (a blued 30-06 and a stainless 30-06.) I suspect I am out of the LH M70 market--I cannot imagine buying any more and I have no more than I am interested in selling. Actually, now that I think about it, there is one more I need to sell...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good for you! Congtats...... cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well you sure did well, congrats grin

Gerry.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by utah708
Well, in the interest of conversation, I will now fess up that I was the seller of that rifle. I did not post it for sale here in the classifieds because I did not have the ballz to ask the kind of money I suspected it would bring at auction. I did not post much about the ad before this because shilling your own auction seems crass.

By the end of the auction, the ad had been opened about 600 times, and there were 45 watchers. Five separate guys had bid more than $1200 for it. I know that the final buyer was willing to pay more for the rifle than he ultimately did, because he put in a "protection bid" above his $1926 purchase price. While I won't provide any information about the buyer, I will say he lives in a southeastern (i.e., hot and humid) state where a stainless rifle makes a lot more sense that it does for me in the arid west. So it was worth more to him than to me, and that is the basis for a market transaction.

I got the rifle by trading off a LH blued .270 and an undisclosed amount of cash. I have come to realize that my hoarding of LH Winchesters probably does not make sense, so have sold off four in the past year--two here on the campfire (a 7mm Rem and a .375 H&H) and two on gunbroker (a blued 30-06 and a stainless 30-06.) I suspect I am out of the LH M70 market--I cannot imagine buying any more and I have no more than I am interested in selling. Actually, now that I think about it, there is one more I need to sell...

That rifle had too ugly of a stock to be yours...

BSA MAGA
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

i think the same.

Phil

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.