Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When you clean your AR, where do you clean?

Do you completely disassemble the bolt?

If you were to do a complete cleaning, where do you grease/lubricate? Is it safe to tear down your bolt and lube the gas rings? Honest questions. My brothers AR is FILTHY and needs a good scrub.

Is this a good lube to use?

Mil-Comm TW25B

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I don't. Unless to remove sand or other foreign debris, they get cleaned when the barrel gets replaced. If needed due to the above, pull the BCG out separate the bolt, spray everything down with brake cleaner, wipe quickly if necessary, lube with wheel bearing grease and reassemble.

Properly built AR's will go thousands and thousands of rounds without cleaning as long as they are lubed.

Somewhere just over (maybe just under) 3k rounds without cleaning-

[Linked Image]

4k-4.5k, would have to look to be sure, but same/same. No cleaning just lube.

[Linked Image]

Both work guns, both ran without issue until the barrels were replaced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually clean mine once a year, just because. I bring all my guns to the parts washer at work and do it there.

I scrub out the upper, pour some parts cleaner down the barrel and push a patch down it. I disassemble the BCG and scrub it and replace the spring in the bolt. Then I dry it all out with compressed air and lube it.

I use Mobil1 for oil.

I haven't heard of the stuff you linked, but for $53 / 8 oz. it better be made out of bald eagle feathers and unicorn tears.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get the unicorn tears but wouldn't the bald eagle feathers possibly jam the action?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The fish in their diet increases the viscosity coefficient of the lubricity.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
same as others.... CLP is still what I use for lube... I'm stubborn but it works...

I've shot with folks taht have shot out barrels easily without major cleaning.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

Is it safe to lube the gas rings in the BCG though?

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am sure my AR's are the cleanest weapons I own, I clean them the same way I cleaned my 16 in the service 30 years ago. Bolts apart and all carbon removed and oiled before they go back in the safe.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
LSA is the only lube you'll ever need. You can get a quart here for $8.00 and the can will last a lifetime. While the whizbang lubricants may work, their cost is criminal. When considering alternative lubricants like wheel bearing grease or motor oil, ask yourself why it's called wheel bearing grease or motor oil before you put it on your rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Thanks guys.

Is it safe to lube the gas rings in the BCG though?

What I clean every few hundred rounds is pull out the BCG, put a drop in the holes for the rings, wipe it off with a rag, wipe out the inside of the upper, and then put CLP on my finger and wipe it inside the upper, then a drop or so on all contact surfaces of the BCG and spread it then, and put it back together.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I.E, after a range trip, at a minimum, I'll pull the BCG, make sure the bolt is clean and lubed, hose out the inside of the barrel extension with some brake clean or shooters choice to insure it's free of grit, and that everything is well lubed when I put it back together. Generally I'll run a couple of patched down the barrel as well, but usually they don't take much to come clean.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Agree, they don't need nearly as much cleaning as some claim.

After few range trips I'll usually hose the bolt down with WD-40, then blow it off with compressed air (don't leave it wet on the bolt to dry and gum up). That takes off most of the fouling, with minimal effort. Re-apply some gun oil, and put it back in the receiver again. I don't strip the bolt apart unless it needs repair.

The one part I hate cleaning is the flash hider, after using foaming bore cleaner in the barrel.

Gotta say though, regardless how often it does or doesn't need cleaning, I'd be embarrassed to own a rifle with rust all over it, as shown above.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
When you clean your AR, where do you clean?

Do you completely disassemble the bolt?

If you were to do a complete cleaning, where do you grease/lubricate? Is it safe to tear down your bolt and lube the gas rings? Honest questions. My brothers AR is FILTHY and needs a good scrub.

Is this a good lube to use?

Mil-Comm TW25B

Cleaning an AR is just silly.

If you have a few thousand through it, and bump into a parts cleaner, take it apart and throw all that schit in there.

You can lube your ring. It won't hurt anything.

Never clean another person's gear. That's called enabling.

That is all.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
Agree, they don't need nearly as much cleaning as some claim.

After few range trips I'll usually hose the bolt down with WD-40, then blow it off with compressed air (don't leave it wet on the bolt to dry and gum up). That takes off most of the fouling, with minimal effort. Re-apply some gun oil, and put it back in the receiver again. I don't strip the bolt apart unless it needs repair.

The one part I hate cleaning is the flash hider, after using foaming bore cleaner in the barrel.

Gotta say though, regardless how often it does or doesn't need cleaning, I'd be embarrassed to own a rifle with rust all over it, as shown above.
That one with a bit of rust on it, probably shoots better than a lot of folks guns... knowing the competition side of it....We had to shoot in rain etc....

I'd much rather worry about how my gun shoots, and who cares what it lookslike.

Looks are for vanity. Vanity doesn't win matches or shoot tiny groups.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use to clean and lube after almost every shooting session. The only thing I do now is add a few drops of oil now and then and run a patch or two down the barrel. Once a year or so I might do a detail cleaning and good barrel cleaning, if I have the time.

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/21/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495

I'd much rather worry about how my gun shoots, and who cares what it lookslike.

Looks are for vanity. Vanity doesn't win matches or shoot tiny groups.

It's not about looks, it's about taking care of your stuff. If it's rusty there, where it wouldn't take half a thought to apply a little gun oil, where else is it rusty?

I don't polish my guns and baby them, but there's a difference between using it hard and outright neglect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since using a suppressor with all of the associated crud, I carry a tall can of spray on Rem-Oil and just keep spraying it wet w/o getting it on the bolt face. A shot before shooting last a good while.

When I can't take the grime I strip it like basic training.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Yondering

It's not about looks, it's about taking care of your stuff. If it's rusty there, where it wouldn't take half a thought to apply a little gun oil, where else is it rusty?

I don't polish my guns and baby them, but there's a difference between using it hard and outright neglect.

Ok.

Can you tell us about your hard use with M4's?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've seen a well-used MARSOC M4 or three and they are rust-free. Just sayin'. They will walk up to you and close YOUR dust cover.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Glocktard
I've seen a well-used MARSOC M4 or three and they are rust-free. Just sayin'. They will walk up to you and close YOUR dust cover.

Sigh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.