Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I remember a theory put forth many years ago (a theory that may have been debunked by now) that a small charge of powder that lays below the primer can "detonate" all at once, instead of burning end to end. Could that be what your builder is alluding to?
This is not a theory that I ascribe to necessarily, just trying to figure out where your builder is coming from.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad your ok MB and hope the gun is salvagable.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was cooking something last night and put in a bunch of Black Pepper instead of Cinnamon that was in a similar container. Had to pour it all out and start over. I screwed up, just saying.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm not ruling out the strong possibility that I might have screwed up, but in my mind I will never know for sure.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you were using a powder measure to dump the loads, that is where your "mistake" lay. It bridged slightly and double-charged.

Always use a dipper for Blue Dot fun.

Always weigh every loaded case after you are finished and before firing it.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wonder if the case could have been defective, maybe a small crack in or around the neck? Perhaps the case ruptured under normal pressure. How many times had those brass been resized and reloaded?

I'm not sure about the density of that load. Would a double charge even be possible if the bullet were seated properly?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you were using a powder measure to dump the loads, that is where your "mistake" lay. It bridged slightly and double-charged.

Always use a dipper for Blue Dot fun.

Always weigh every loaded case after you are finished and before firing it.

Guy already SAID he was weighing every charge.

Glad your OK, hope you can salvage the beast.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes a double load will fit in the case.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by rifle
I have to ask...why Blue Dot in a rifle cartridge?

I've been asking the same thing for 30+ years. crazy
. Do a search on this site, and you will find a whole bunch of info on the subject.

Oh,,, I'm well aware of that. Lots of guys have been doing it since well before the internet, let alone the Fire, and most have (or know of) someone who's had "mysterious mishaps" like the OP.

I just don't see the point in it when there are so many sub-sonic options these days but hey,,, rock on,,, it's your guns, eyes, and fingers.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
blue dot done right and I tend to use kapok filler to keep it at the primer, has never been an issue over the years.

But I'm also anal, I won't weigh a charge and then seat the bullet, I LOOK visually at each case after charging with a flashlight. Just to make sure it looks right. Even though an actual WEIGHED charge should be just fine. But the OP did say it COULD have been double... that means there is some doubt. IIRC.

Glad all turned out allright though. Guns are cheap compared....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mathematical translation

BLUE DOT X 2= BROWN SPOT +(-1K$).

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

You do know why Trail Boss and SR-4579 were invented?.

P.S - glad you're okay. And I've played with Blue Dot to some degree, but luckily (I suppose) it never gave me any sort of accuracy.

I have read that SR4759 is discontinued

Sycamore

Local store had a few powders last week. They had about twenty cans of SR4759. It makes absolutely great reduced loads in most large rifle cartridges.

But I was looking for SR 4756, and they had none of that.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
10-4:) Had the same thought, but would be interesting what this "builders" thought process's were. Not that it really matters in the end.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How many text or calls did you receive while reloading??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well,I do not believe that BD is a useful RIFLE powder.I still ask WHY?

Somebody will always try something,that will run on the the edge of dangerous, this make no sense to me.

Thank God you are OK ,cause he works that way,protecting fools and such... Only a gun is ruined,lesson learned....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never like Blue Dot period , but used to use Green Dot and Unique for my Shot Shell Loading for Dove Hunting . I always wonder why people want to use Shotgun Powder for loading a rifle case when rifle powder is available. If i was making a guess for you mishap it was to much air space in the case and powder position against the primer

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If everything anyone ever did was ONLY waht the label showed it worked for we'd still be shooting muskets..... and who printed the load data for muskets?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

You do know why Trail Boss and SR-4579 were invented?.

P.S - glad you're okay. And I've played with Blue Dot to some degree, but luckily (I suppose) it never gave me any sort of accuracy.

I have read that SR4759 is discontinued

Sycamore

It has been, but there's still some in the supply pipeline. And who knows? They may bring it back like last time it was discontinued.

Trail Boss and 5744 make pretty good subs for SR 4759.

I bought a couple pounds of it for experimenting in .45 Colt, but since Brian Pearce published "Redhawk Only" data for the .45 Colt in the October issue of Handloader, I'll likely stick with one of those powders for my thermo-nuclear loads and Unique or 5744 for lighter stuff.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There you go, Trail Boss for lead only.

5744 for lead and a few jacketed loads. Both good for large volume/low charge. Can work with fillers if you care to go that route.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 83 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,782
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.