Originally Posted by ringworm
That's about what I thought.
Your forgiven, your not.
You go to heaven, you go to hell.

Which is it?
Can wrongdoers be saved?
Then they can go to heaven.
Do they lose their free will in heaven?
If so then they lose what makes us human.
So, can they get kicked out of heaven?
But people in hell can't change their minds and be saved and get out?

Interesting. Wrongdoers can be saved if we truly repent...recognize our wrong acts, confess them to God, and turn our lives from that behavior and live for God. Then yes, we go to heaven. Those choices...free will...have to made during our physical lives. Heaven is a place where the temptation to fill our lives with ungodly things does not exist. So, no need to expel anyone. Unrepented choices made during physical life that result in spending eternity in hell can no longer be changed. Simple really.

Then you concede there is no free will in Heaven.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Reason doesn't apply to atheists; it only seems to keep their belief system intact. Notice they will continually argue in circles, as we are currently seeing in these threads. Notice the atheist's method is circular arguments, and as evidenced, they are full of hot air (better get used to it).

They can't prove or disprove anything and continue to close their eyes and stiffen their necks (pity the ignorant fools). They have a comeback for everything, and it's a game to them. They try to be knowledgeable and intellectual, not realizing God is omnipresent, unchanging, and who has all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Colossians 2:3). Atheists use God's laws of logic but at the same time deny God made the laws possible.

Pity the fools...

Show me where an doubter has used circular reasoning in this thread?

The Christian God is unchanging?
Really?
I guess you've never compared are contrasted the Gods of the Old and New Testaments.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/17/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Sauer200

Yep! It's funny to watch Ringman and Fireball chase their tails.

Chase my tail? That's funny.

The God-haters here go to tremendous lengths to stir the christians pot, to puff themselves up. Christians simply share what we've been given, take it or leave it. Don't want it, easy, don't take it.

Christians simply quoting the Bible drives a non-believer right over the top, like it did 4ager awhile back. If the conviction in your heart in just hearing the Word is more than you can bear, you probably better seriously analyze that!

After all, to you it should be just mumbo jumbo gibberish about an irrelevant non-existent spiritual being. Why would you get so worked up if God is not really God? Do you get worked up trying to argue against the existence of unicorns too? LOL.

If I believed in unicorns would you lay awake at night compiling data and statistics to prove me wrong? Would you cite scientific studies by prestigious universities showing the folly of my belief? Would you argue or would you simply say, "Wow, you're off your rocker", and move on?

That's what would be so stinking funny if it weren't so darned sad, the desperation of the God-haters to argue against God. Who are you trying to convince? Me or yourself?? Like the kid caught in a lie trying desperately to convince dad he didn't do it. Even he wants to believe it's true, but it don't make it so.

What a fine compliment you paid me when you sought to cut me down. I am so glad to be known as an outspoken believer here.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28

Fireball,

I'm against all supernatural believes that cause a person to make wrong decisions that are determent to themselves or others. Unicorns, faeries, Aliens that visit them in the night, Boogie Man, Man Made Global Warming, it doesn't matter.

However in this country, the most common supernatural misbeief is one in the Christian God

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/17/15.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

The Christian God is unchanging?
Really?
I guess you've never compared are contrasted the Gods of the Old and New Testaments.

You continue to bring up a straw man god. The God of the Old Testament is the God of the New Testament. You reject the Scripture That tells of Hell and eternal punishment in the New Testament. You don't accept the New Testament Scripture where a man and his wife were killed by God for lying to God. You reject the Scripture Which informs us that Jesus is returning with His holy angles dealing out retribution to two groups of people: Those who do not know God and those who do not obey the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

It doesn't sound fair to deal out the same retribution to those who do not know God as to those who don't obey the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, from my point of view. At least one group knows about Him by name. But then I don't see God as the omni-beneficial that you tried to bring up at least once.

Recently someone asked me if I know the Lord God. I told him that very morning I listened to Joshua on the CD player. General Joshua lead his army in the defeat of Jericho. God said everything, I mean everything in the city was a sacrifice to the Lord: The men, women, children, their pets and live stock and possessions were to be burned. One guy took a couple pieces of gold and silver and other contraband.

In the next battle thirty-six men were killed in the battle. Joshua went to the Lord to discover what's up. God told him something to the effect you guys took some of my sacrifice. Now check this out. Thirty-six who didn't take anything were dead, but God spared the actual thief. God told Joshua to stone the thief, his wife, the kids, the pets and livestock. That doesn't seem fair at all to me. But then His ways are above my ways.

Just a heads up for you to not confuse what you read out side the Bible with What's inside the Bible.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
There's that magic comparison again. Way off base.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Then you concede there is no free will in Heaven.

Why do you try to make God's Word say something it doesn't? Satan and the fallen angles were in Heaven. Obviously there is free will in Heaven. Those of us who get there will have no desire to reject His loving kindness. Those who reject His loving kindness here will get an eternity of punishment and will hate Him for it.

Occasionally I tell folks, "Those who love the Lord in this life will have more of a reason to love Him even more in Heaven. Those who don't love the Lord in this life will have even more reason not to love Him in Hell."

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Sauer200

Yep! It's funny to watch Ringman and Fireball chase their tails.

Chase my tail? That's funny.

The God-haters here go to tremendous lengths to stir the christians pot, to puff themselves up. Christians simply share what we've been given, take it or leave it. Don't want it, easy, don't take it.

Christians simply quoting the Bible drives a non-believer right over the top, like it did 4ager awhile back. If the conviction in your heart in just hearing the Word is more than you can bear, you probably better seriously analyze that!

After all, to you it should be just mumbo jumbo gibberish about an irrelevant non-existent spiritual being. Why would you get so worked up if God is not really God? Do you get worked up trying to argue against the existence of unicorns too? LOL.

If I believed in unicorns would you lay awake at night compiling data and statistics to prove me wrong? Would you cite scientific studies by prestigious universities showing the folly of my belief? Would you argue or would you simply say, "Wow, you're off your rocker", and move on?

That's what would be so stinking funny if it weren't so darned sad, the desperation of the God-haters to argue against God. Who are you trying to convince? Me or yourself?? Like the kid caught in a lie trying desperately to convince dad he didn't do it. Even he wants to believe it's true, but it don't make it so.

What a fine compliment you paid me when you sought to cut me down. I am so glad to be known as an outspoken believer here.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28

Fireball,

I'm against all supernatural believes that cause a person to make wrong decisions that are determent to themselves or others. Unicorns, faeries, Aliens that visit them in the night, Boogie Man, Man Made Global Warming, it doesn't matter.

However in this country, the most common supernatural misbeief is one in the Christian God

AS,

I wish it were so that the most common supernatural "(mis)belief" were that of belief in the Christian God. Sadly, I think the most common spiritual misbelief is the repudiation of and disbelief of the true and living God.

You have not tasted God and you know not. If you had tasted of God, you would be a changed man and a believer. And your belief would be unshakeable. Perhaps someday.

You seem to be similar to Saul. He was a persecutor of Christians and truly believed he was doing right. Then his eyes were opened. Note that it was an act of God to go to him and show him the truth about Himself. Not all calls of God are as dramatic as that. Mine was not.

I pray for you to be drawn to Him.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"It doesn't sound fair to deal out the same retribution to those who do not know God as to those who don't obey the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, from my point of view."

From your "point of view?" Is that supposed to swing any weight with anybody? No scripture to back up your statement?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AS said:

"Then you concede there is no free will in Heaven."

No, he did not say that. He did not concede either. You are just making this stuff up as you go along. You read his words and then applied your own odd bias to it.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
First off... a couple of observations :

Christians are not well positioned to defend Christianity if they can't first defend the existence of a Supreme Being who remains interested in His Creation. Citing Bible verses does NOTHING toward that end.

Atheists and Agnostics too often take the easy way out in these discussions by arguing as if debunking the book of Genesis in particular, and the Bible in general, is all that is required to discount a Supreme Being of the type mentioned above. That demonstrates a lack of original thinking as far as I'm concerned.

Now...... to the question in my mind.

Science is all about observation. Being able to observe the results of controlled experiments and then draw conclusions from them is basic science as I understand the term.

Down thru the ages, we have accounts of humans EXPERIENCING firsthand some evidence of a Supreme Being who has inserted Himself into His Creation. These experiences are the type that one would not expect to be duplicated. [Should the blind man be struck blind again so that his sight could be restored a second time?]

But the non-believer discounts these experiences because he didn't personally observe them, all the while citing the results of "scientific experiments" which he didn't personally observe. The fact that hundreds, or thousands, of different rats were used in some of these experiments poses no problem for him. In fact... the more rats that responded the same way, the more credibility the "experiment" has in the scientific view.

But the REAL kicker is this:

Every non-believer has a conscience. Attempts to explain this phenomenon apart from a Divine Creator are actually ludicrous, even from the standpoint of Science.

Claiming that it is a product of evolution requires -usually- an appeal to the mechanism of "enlightened self-interest". Like ALL claims as to evolution being an explanation for OUR genesis, it requires HUGE chunks of TIME to even merit consideration.

And Science is still learning just how little is really known about TIME. But they "borrow" it, or "create" it just like Obama does money.

So... The Creator hid the proof of His existence in the last place a "scientist" will look....... right inside himself.

Curdog, old friend, glad to see you could join us tonight.

The arts of Logic and Rhetoric are largely lost upon this generation, be the practitioner Theist, Atheist, or Anti-theist. I agree that using the Bible to prove the Bible is not an effective technique. The book of Genesis is a real gift for the Anti-theist because it effectively disproves the Christian God if defined in certain way, however, it just disproves the Christian God, and does not disprove any of the other thousand creation myths.

Yes, science is about observation evidence, and predictions. , and the controlled experiment is one of it's tools.

As for non-laboratory occurrences, we don't discount them, we just want to know how you differentiate it from random chance. If prayer actually worked, we should be able to measure the difference in outcomes, be it medical, wages, crop success, marriages, etc. As an economist, I tell you it would be simple. Take a given event where we can record the number and type of people who prayed for a given outcome, collect a large enough data set, plug the numbers into a good statistics program, an see how much, and what type of prayer by folks who go to which church, how many times a year, and tithe what percent, for the result to be a long happy marriage. Not only that, if it worked, I would be one of the person's creating that data and selling it so people could invest their time and efforts in prayer and save their money. If it worked, I would convert more people the Billy Graham..

But it doesn't, and when the Pro-religious Templeton Foundation actually did a double bind study on the effect of prayer on medical patients, there was no effect, and when the patients knew they were being prayed for, the medical outcomes were actually slightly worse.

But back to your point. Most of what you call experience, is not verifiable. If Jesus came to me tomorrow in my backyard, how could I ever verify it? Unless he gave me some special piece of information with predictive power that could not have originated from this world, you couldn't. It's an extraordinary claim, I would expect you require extraordinary evidence. The problem isn't that you weren't there, it THAT I HAVE NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THE CLAIM.

In contrast, if a University Professor does an experiment involving rats, I can go to the University, see the rats, talk with the 3 dozen Grad students who did all the actual work, taking all the measurements, participate in the peer review, read the published article, and see how many times the experiment has been duplicated.

The level of proof needs to be consistent with the level of the claims. If the professor is claiming he's created cold fusion with rats, it's going to take some serious convincing....

As for the conscious being a evidence for a supernatural creator being, you have to do more then just assert it. You need to provide evidence. What you call the conscious, is just a through process within the brain, and our brains are just physical matter and electrical impulses contained within our body...so how do you make the leap from a thought process to a God?

The real problem with your argument is the variations within conscious's. All you have to do is look at the member of ISIS and some of the other monsters mentioned within this thread to realize that the proposition that each person received their conscious from God is to suggest a very imperfect God.

I was hoping the thread title would draw you out. grin

I mentioned the confusion between conscience and conscious earlier. I don't believe evolution could have produced a creature with a CONSCIENCE.

As far as prayer...... I never mentioned it. Praying ONLY for knowledge of His will for ME and the power to carry it out has served me well these past thirty years. I confess to being somewhat ambivalent as far as intercessory prayer. Too many people believe in it for me to discount it, though.

In the realm of the Supernatural, the scientific methodology is reversed in many cases. First, there is the EVENT, which was entirely unpredicted. The EVENT produced a new way of observation which led to an enlightened analysis. But.... the results of the Event are observable in the natural world.

A creature is REBORN with a new outlook and attitude toward life. THAT is what is observable.

My idea of a scientific approach to answering the question; "Is there a Creator God", would be something like this:

God either IS or he IS NOT.

A Creation WITH a Creator is more believable than a creation WITHOUT a Creator, so I'll hypothesize that there IS some sort of creative Force responsible for the creation I observe.

But, how could I test my hypothesis?

If this creative force is completely impersonal, no test comes to mind.

But..... if I'm open-minded, as any real scientist must be, I can consider the possibility of a creative force which is still very much interested and involved in his creation.

I need then only ask myself if I am WILLING to allow this force to reveal himself to me, if he does exist and has that level of interest in his creatures.

And that, my friend, is when many hit a sticking point. Their mind is not nearly as open as they liked to think.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i do believe in a higher power....

but on taking individuals experiences as proof....problem is people can experience stuff that is very real to them but is not there.....good example is hallucinations.....i have a bad habit of doing so when i get a high fever.....at the time it is VERY phuggin real to me though after the fever is gone i realize what i went through or more usually am aware at that time what i am experiencing is not real....also went through auditory hallucinations real bad coming off a medication....

so knowing this even believing in a higher power it cant help but make one sit back and think and ask if another's experience is real or a trick of the mind....course thats why they call it faith, may never have a real answer....

Last edited by rattler; 03/17/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
i do believe in a higher power....

but on taking individuals experiences as proof....problem is people can experience stuff that is very real to them but is not there.....good example is hallucinations.....i have a bad habit of doing so when i get a high fever.....at the time it is VERY phuggin real to me though after the fever is gone i realize what i went through or more usually am aware at that time what i am experiencing is not real....also went through auditory hallucinations real bad coming off a medication....

so knowing this even believing in a higher power it cant help but make one sit back and think and ask if another's experience is real or a trick of the mind....course thats why they call it faith, may never have a real answer....

One person's experience, even if it results in a total transformation of that person, is not much evidence of a higher power.

But millions of sobered up alcoholics who ALL credit their sobriety to a VERY REAL Higher Power make a pretty convincing case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
know plenty of alcoholics that sobered up for other reasons aswell, know plenty that swear they believe in a higher power that never get straight either....got alot of family like that....

my example doesnt disprove anything and hasnt even shaken my belief.....just said it makes yah stop and ask sometimes how much of any individuals experiance is truly a hand of god or just our phugged up brains....but that is where faith comes in......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I'm against all supernatural believes that cause a person to make wrong decisions that are determent to themselves or others.

Funny stuff right there. Lots of CHRISTIAN missionaries all over the world being a detriment to others.

I guess we should leave the work to the muslims, buddists, and various God-haters to take care of the poor. AS, you wanna sign up since you're such a standup guy compared to the Christians?

LOL
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For sure, cur.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"It doesn't sound fair to deal out the same retribution to those who do not know God as to those who don't obey the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, from my point of view."

From your "point of view?" Is that supposed to swing any weight with anybody? No scripture to back up your statement?

You are truly messed up. I included that statement to show I don't understand God. I post Scripture to "swing any weight with anybody." I feel sorry for you that some how I have hooks in you. Please forgive me and move on.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Creation WITH a Creator is more believable than a creation WITHOUT a Creator...

That one jumped out at me, is it more believable or more comfortable? No, not a trick question. In fact it kinda gets to the root of it. Makes you ask interesting (if difficult) questions about yourself anyway.

One take on conscience is we're not born with a moral conscience (the kind you're talking about) but with the ability to form a moral conscience. We are divinely inspired to make the right choices but that inspiration is ours to accept or reject.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Great video with Ravi Zacharias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDC1-_e7hI

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
A Creation WITH a Creator is more believable than a creation WITHOUT a Creator...

That one jumped out at me, is it more believable or more comfortable? No, not a trick question. In fact it kinda gets to the root of it. Makes you ask interesting (if difficult) questions about yourself anyway.

One take on conscience is we're not born with a moral conscience (the kind you're talking about) but with the ability to form a moral conscience. We are divinely inspired to make the right choices but that inspiration is ours to accept or reject.

If you can truly grasp the concept of "everything coming from nothing", then I reckon our minds work a whole lot different. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But.... I'll grant you that I would be extremely uncomfortable with the idea that there is no power in the universe greater than human power. But the relative comfort of either idea had nothing to do with my coming to believing in a Higher Power.

In fact, thru my early adulthood, I would have much preferred a universe with no God. I tried to operate under a mutual non-aggression pact with whatever god there might be.

But I was driven to Him by forces beyond my control.

I still don't know much about Him.......... but I've learned a lot about myself.

And THAT is the key to the good life.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The greatest faith possible...

to look at any living creature and see:
billions of cells, each composed of billions of molecules, growing, reproducing, healing, each doing a specific job to maintain life in the animal as a whole
The complexity of DNA and how it reproduces itself and passes on genetic codes to offspring, how it control every minute body process
The brain, thinking, remembering, singing, composing, calculating, controlling the entire body
the digestive system breaking down food into its chemical components then rebuilding them to nourish the animal as a whole
The incredible process of reproduction, whether cell division, eggs, live birth

Seeing all of this and saying it all happened by itself, by accident, takes faith far greater than any required by the Lord. God is far easier to understand and to follow than to think that all this happens without Him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 4 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (270cowboy, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 43 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,015
Posts18,520,703
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.