Home
Just wanting to understand if the consensus here has changed...

There was always a prevalent attitude here that both sellers and buyers operated with some degree of honor, honesty, and integrity. I am proud to say that none of the deals I ever did here (or anywhere else in gunforumland) caused buyers to express remorse or disappointment. Guy did return a PF bolt body once because he didn't specify he wanted CRF and never asked for a pic, but he got his money back. Two of the many "pay some now, pay rest later" deals I did for guys who didn't have $300 or more to spend didn't work out; but all the others did and anyone who sent me $ got refund or part of what the mdse they wanted...

Was kind of surprised recently though when a guy who has been posting A Lot of WTB lisings replied that he wanted to buy my Brand New Win 70 SS CRF takeoff barrel "at a fair price" of about half what I listed it for and also wanted a die set...

We negotiated, I thought, in good faith and then this guy says he don't have the money, but can I hold the gear for him while he buys an action? Guy said nothing about needing a stock, but maybe that was to come later???

Okay, forum ace with around 2800 posts says he can't pay right now for his Want To Buy gear, but he don't mention he needs extra time to pay in his listing or in the first couple PMs...

Really wondering if you guys think this kind of tactic is kosher here? Is the Name of the Campfire Buying Game; get the lowest price firmed up, & then tell the guy you're broke but maybe next month you can pay?

Feel like I was dealing with a Professional Grifter on this deal who was not on the up & up. Have canceled deals a couple times with guys who gave me a bad vibe, especially when the money was very good.

Have come to expect anything I offer for sale on Campfire will be lowballed way down, so don't post much here anylonger; but this is a new one on me.

Doesn't posting a WTB listing imply buyer is ready to buy and has funds or trade item in hand?

Is it "good strategy" to work a seller down to the last dime, and then, after price is agreed, inform seller you can't pay for 3-4 weeks at earliest?

Is it acceptable to post a WTB and structure a deal here and then be seeking other deals for same gear on other forums?

I understand, very few guys still have any disposable income or money to spend... But it is my view that this kind of buyer pushes the envelope a lot further than is acceptable. A business that operated in this fashion would be liable under the law for Sharp Practices and possibly fraud...

Really think that a sincere and honorable buyer would be up-front with how long they expected seller to hold gear before they sent money. Held a Rem 700 action and scope base for several weeks for a guy who got paid once a month. But he didn't game me on price and then ask me to wait...

Just seems like the Grifters are getting more plentiful and obvious. Kind of a bummer to find one so actively working this board.

Sorry to hear your issue...I joined the 'Fire based on the majority of the members here having and their use of the principles you listed in the start of your post, with mostly acceptable results. In some forums, the actions you described would get a member black-listed ASAP, and a "don't deal with" label to boot. Hope it works out in your favor, sounds like some quality bovine fertilizer going on there, and no, not how the forum should run.
I think such behavior is dishonest. I'd like to know his board name so I can "ignore" him. If you don't want to post it here in this thread, then please PM it to me.
Jerry/AK
P.S.: You should terminate the deal and move on to another buyer too.
Jerry/AK
If he worked you to a low price, I am sure there are a whole bunch of us that have the cash and will pay you for it. Post the item!
Doesn't posting a WTB listing imply buyer is ready to buy and has funds or trade item in hand?

Not necessarily in my opinion. Yes it means someone is searching but they may not think your price is reasonable or something may come up that takes those funds away, example emergencies...
I have ran across many people on here that think they items are made of solid gold and their prices are out of this world for things...
Remember the rifles that you could put on lay-a-way?
I had a similar experience last week. travis3484 posted that he wtb a spotting scope. I sent him an email about an extra that I was not using. After sending him pics, answering many questions and getting low balled down to my bottom price, he says he will take it. I specify that I must receive funds before I ship and about 4-5 days later he sends a PM that he no longer wants it.

Because this sounds very similar to what Hogan is bringing up, I just went back and looked at travis3484's history and ALL of his 80 posts are WTB postings in the classifieds. I'm now convinced he was hoping I would just send the scope before payment was received. Nothing lost on my end but a little time, but just a warning for people to be careful who they deal with.
Originally Posted by dkevinbarnes
I had a similar experience last week. travis3484 posted that he wtb a spotting scope. I sent him an email about an extra that I was not using. After sending him pics, answering many questions and getting low balled down to my bottom price, he says he will take it. I specify that I must receive funds before I ship and about 4-5 days later he sends a PM that he no longer wants it.

Because this sounds very similar to what Hogan is bringing up, I just went back and looked at travis3484's history and ALL of his 80 posts are WTB postings in the classifieds. I'm now convinced he was hoping I would just send the scope before payment was received. Nothing lost on my end but a little time, but just a warning for people to be careful who they deal with.

80 posts all WTB..incredible.

Maybe if guys were forced to participate in some form on this forum other that the classifieds it would curtail that crap.

Admittedly my initial reason for joining the fire was to find a good LH rifle. A friend recommended the classifieds, but since then I've really realized the fraternity between everyone around all of these forums.
Originally Posted by theduke308

Not necessarily in my opinion. Yes it means someone is searching but they may not think your price is reasonable or something may come up that takes those funds away, example emergencies...
I have ran across many people on here that think they items are made of solid gold and their prices are out of this world for things...

In my opinion, those are very different situations. It's one thing for circumstances to change after posting a WTB listing, which leave the OP unable to buy at the moment. It's quite another to post a WTB listing, knowing that you don't have the funds to buy at the time of posting (and not saying so in the post). If price is the issue, it doesn't really apply to this thread because that's simply a disagreement of value between a seller and prospective buyer. JMHO.
Sometimes it is grifting, sometimes they are hoping to find something similar at a lower price.

If the guy wants to dick around by wasting your time, rescind your offer to sell.

Life is too short to deal with people like that.

George
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
Sometimes it is grifting, sometimes they are hoping to find something similar at a lower price.

If the guy wants to dick around by wasting your time, rescind your offer to sell.

Life is too short to deal with people like that.

George

Very true, no binding contracts here. Just the honor system.
I "WTB" many, many, many things--I just don't post it because I don't have the money to buy them!

Tell the guy to move on. Hopefully you didn't lose any money on the deal.
Originally Posted by hogan

There was always a prevalent attitude here that both sellers and buyers operated with some degree of honor, honesty, and integrity. I am proud to say that none of the deals I ever did here (or anywhere else in gunforumland) caused buyers to express remorse or disappointment. Guy did return a PF bolt body once because he didn't specify he wanted CRF and never asked for a pic, but he got his money back. Two of the many "pay some now, pay rest later" deals I did for guys who didn't have $300 or more to spend didn't work out; but all the others did and anyone who sent me $ got refund or part of what the mdse they wanted...

Was kind of surprised recently though when a guy who has been posting A Lot of WTB lisings replied that he wanted to buy my Brand New Win 70 SS CRF takeoff barrel "at a fair price" of about half what I listed it for and also wanted a die set...

We negotiated, I thought, in good faith and then this guy says he don't have the money, but can I hold the gear for him while he buys an action? Guy said nothing about needing a stock, but maybe that was to come later???

Okay, forum ace with around 2800 posts says he can't pay right now for his Want To Buy gear, but he don't mention he needs extra time to pay in his listing or in the first couple PMs...

Really wondering if you guys think this kind of tactic is kosher here? Is the Name of the Campfire Buying Game; get the lowest price firmed up, & then tell the guy you're broke but maybe next month you can pay?

Feel like I was dealing with a Professional Grifter on this deal who was not on the up & up. Have canceled deals a couple times with guys who gave me a bad vibe, especially when the money was very good.

Have come to expect anything I offer for sale on Campfire will be lowballed way down, so don't post much here anylonger; but this is a new one on me.

Is it "good strategy" to work a seller down to the last dime, and then, after price is agreed, inform seller you can't pay for 3-4 weeks at earliest?

Is it acceptable to post a WTB and structure a deal here and then be seeking other deals for same gear on other forums?

I understand, very few guys still have any disposable income or money to spend... But it is my view that this kind of buyer pushes the envelope a lot further than is acceptable. A business that operated in this fashion would be liable under the law for Sharp Practices and possibly fraud...

Really think that a sincere and honorable buyer would be up-front with how long they expected seller to hold gear before they sent money. Held a Rem 700 action and scope base for several weeks for a guy who got paid once a month. But he didn't game me on price and then ask me to wait...

Just seems like the Grifters are getting more plentiful and obvious. Kind of a bummer to find one so actively working this board.

When dealing with something as moronic as this, "GFY" is perfect acceptable.

Then, you simply repost the item.

Travis
When posting a WTB, I think you should be prepared financially to buy it, but reserve the right to back off if it is unreasonably priced. Bottom line is don't post a WTB, if you don't have the money to do the deal...
Honor is all we really have in a transaction, the product and money exchange is all secondary. There is no honor in haggling if there is no means to finish � IMHO it is dishonest, just like haggling for something one really does not intend to buy.

�If it doesn�t feel right regardless of how much or what is involved, bail!� - Vibs (and common sense) are all we have to work with regarding internet transactions. Most of my gun transactions have been on the web - I have not been burned, disappointed a few times but most were my fault; those that were not were made right by the other party.

I have only been accused of low balling one time, I considered it an honest mistake and wanted to know what I had missed in the seller�s post/offer he refused to talk to me � I moved on. The �classifieds� only involve things, stuff we can�t take with us.

As has been said, life is too short to deal with folks without honor - drop him or anyone else like him if he/they cannot pay, want time, low ball, etc. In my experience, there are a lot more good folks than flakes on the Fire wait for them.
+1
How many on here have a draw of stuff that you posted I'll Take It and discovered later that you had miss read the classifieds...I have several of these items. They where bargain items but not really what I was looking for. It pays to read slowly when ever reading the classifieds or does it....
Originally Posted by carmarkie
When posting a WTB, I think you should be prepared financially to buy it, but reserve the right to back off if it is unreasonably priced. Bottom line is don't post a WTB, if you don't have the money to do the deal...

Agree 100%. If I ever post 'looking for' or want to by I will have some spending cash on hand.

As to the OP, don't let this one bad transaction spoil your opinion, I have been party to many excellent deals here. Only one went sorta bad in the past 8 0r so years and only money back was required to rectify it (I re sold the guns iin question the following weekend for more than I had offered them for here smile )
I have dealt with a few jerks here. The worst stiffed me for $300. But, the jerks are the exception and certainly NOT the rule. I reckon I've made 200 or more transactions with the fine people here, either buying or selling.

When someone tries to do me like the guy did you I rescind any agreements and go on my way. I have been able to buy items here that I could never have found elsewhere. I believe in paying a decent price for a decent product.

Originally Posted by deflave

When dealing with something as moronic as this, "GFY" is perfect acceptable.

Then, you simply repost the item.

Travis

Amen.

I don't understand the "pay some now, pay the rest later"... That's inviting trouble IMO...
Like the rest I am sorry to hear that you have had such problems, as for me I am relatively new here but I have completed several deals with none going bad. As for making a deal knowing that you do not have the ability to pay is bad for everyone. This is just my humble opinion.
Thanks for the replies...

I deleted the PMs we exchanged, but this has just rubbed me the wrong way for several days.

Couple of years ago, another member here was soliciting loading gear for a disabled vet who he said wanted to get back into shooting. I had some .243 dies, brass and bullets I donated and paid Express Mail shipment costs to get to the Camper who said he was helping the Veteran. He got the gear. I had to confirm he received it. Never heard another word from the guy about how the guy was doing or if he enjoyed getting back into shooting.

I dunno. Not like I was trying to beat this guy up for a buck...

80 WTB listings? It would not surprise me, this Tanner guy may not mean any harm but if you don't have money to spend, you say so up front. I would've been fine waiting a while to get paid...
Not like he asked me to send him the gear before he paid. I have had guys suggest that before... LOL.

When a guy can post 2800 times on this forum in a bit more than a year, it is no wonder he don't have any money to spend...

No this is not acceptable. You let your finacial situation be known before any deal is done not after.

In my opinion if someone pulls this kind of crap thier a scammer or trying to be a scammer.
Well, I'm not sure if the PM I sent you went through or not, so I'll paste the exact message I sent you today after reading this thread:

The reason I posted a WTB for a barrel for EITHER a Rem700 or M70 was because I was going to let the barrel dictate which action I bought. I realize that's a bit backwards, but hey, both are great actions.

I thought your asking price was just a bit high at first, but realizing you're a good guy I didn't want to lowball you. i don't recall EVER offering even close to half of what you wanted, and I had said that 140 shipped sounded quite fair.

The next point that I likely made a mistake in was asking you to hold it for me. I had thought that since you hadn't posted it for sale in the Classifieds, you were in no hurry to get rid of it. I had every intention of purchasing the barrel from you, as I had an action lined up with a seller at the exact same time.

I guess what my main hope was that I was going to find someone who wanted to work with me a little bit on the deal. Maybe hold it for me for a bit if they didn't really need to sell it, or maybe do a trade of some sort. I realize that you weren't that guy, and that is totally fine, I understand completely wanting to sell something ASAP when answering a WTB ad.

I'm just an 18 year old student still learning how this game works, and I apologize for making some mistakes in our hopeful deal. I hope you do not think any less of me, as I've done probably 10-15 great deals on this site without even a hiccup. I was also able to donate to the Kids in Need thread, and have since donated more supplies and help to people around my town.

I hope this begins to clear things up a bit, thanks for listening. Hope all is well in your camp, and that you can understand my apology.

Thanks, Tanner

-------------------

I learned when I was young that in the end, all you have is your good name. Like I said in my apology, I'm still kind of learning how this whole system works, what is okay and what is not. This is a bummer for me to see, after thinking that I had kind of worked myself into a good name with the deals I'd done and what-not. No money was lost on either end, so I would hope that hogan could just let it go and actually read my apology. I'd hate to have my name dragged through the mud and have the friends I've made on here think any less of me.
Interesting....
Tanner, your good with me, sounds like hogan is kind of a whining piss baby
After reading every reply on this post, I am going to have to side with 303savage and Tanner and that I think Hogan might have jumped the gun and flew off the handle. Tanners logic makes perfect sense to me...Grow up Kids
Interesting conversation here. Maybe a little more clarity in the "WTB" post as to your intentions. Maybe a little better communication between buyer and seller.

Funny how that usually fixes things. Typing is easy......

+1 for Tanner. A stand up guy. When a mistake happens he steps up, takes it and does what he can to make amends; a man that understands the value of honor and a good name; the kind of guy I'd like to do business with.
Hope everyone can see it that way. Thanks gentlemen...
No problem Tanner... Just another AAR from a disgruntled Campfire Dealer.
Give then a little slack, they got to eat too. whistle
Originally Posted by theduke308
After reading every reply on this post, I am going to have to side with 303savage and Tanner and that I think Hogan might have jumped the gun and flew off the handle. Tanners logic makes perfect sense to me...Grow up Kids

X2
Originally Posted by carmarkie

I've had one exception. I had a $200 price range for a scope. Posted an WTB ad, and reciever a nice offer on a Nitrex TR-two. It was above my price limit, but the seller gave me some time to get the rest of the money. I did, however, send a deposit as a security move.
18yrs old & 2800 post it's obvious Tanner contributes to this site and was not trying to rip nobody off. Sounds like he is just trying to build a rifle reasonable. Giv'em a break Hogan.

Recent post by Tanner...good stuff!
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...38/Re_My_First_Time_at_1_000#Post6522938
Seems like the 18yo is more mature then some others...
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Seems like the 18yo is more mature then some others...

Very good observation!
Schit, it's just nice to see a stand up 18 year-old.....
Again... thanks for seeing it from my POV guys. No disses to hogan, I'm sure he means well but I do not understand not reading my apology via PM. Seems like the right way to handle it.
Good on you, Tanner for posting a thoughtful reply. I hope my boys are as mature when they are 18.
If a guy posts a WTB ad and doesn't buy, there is no harm no foul...

From the heading - figured someone was selling video games!
OT, I thought the same thing! I just thought he made a grammatical error using IS rather than ARE.

Tanner is good people and while Hogan has 85-90% of his posts in the Classifieds, Tanner does not.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to make a deal either way with Tanner. I just did as a matter of fact.

You better not stiff me on that LCD you little [bleep]! grin
Originally Posted by Oklahoma
How many on here have a draw of stuff that you posted I'll Take It and discovered later that you had miss read the classifieds...I have several of these items. They where bargain items but not really what I was looking for. It pays to read slowly when ever reading the classifieds or does it....

I have, I misread a post of a rifle for sale and committed to buy it.
I realized my mistake later, but went on with the deal.
My word is worth more than the cost of a rifle.
Perhaps the young man is inexperienced and didn't have larceny in his heart? I can give him that.

I have not followed his Blazing path across this forum and had he disclosed his age, it would have explained a lot.

I am not a "dealer", nor do I care about selling this gear at this time. I do understand this is a family site. I haven't sold gear to minors or teenagers that I know of. Sold a few knives years ago, but not to anyone under age 21.

I did think Mr. Tanner showed a high level of immaturity in the way he posted his WTBs for same stuff all over the net. Thought maybe he was just a nut job having a mid-life crisis. Not like there is a shortage of these types on the forums that're always buying loads of stuff and chisel you down on price to get a fair price...

Are there lots of 18 and under folk posting here? Mr. Tanner is evidently in process of building several rifles. He can't decide if he wants a Rem 700 or Win 70 in .375 H&H. Maybe he's gonna buy both; if he can get a "fair price"....

There is a big "fair price" crowd at Campfire. It is obnoxious and a sign of immaturity to expect a stranger you've never met or shown interest in to cut you a deal because you're YOU and YOU think you deserve whatever you want on whatever terms you decide are fair...

When a guy, even if he is only 18, is only interested in price. Whe he don't care to see a pic that you've offered, when he won't sign is full name in course of a couple replies, it shows all the guy cares about is a cheap deal.

Guys who are all about the money are rarely worth knowing, and even less likely are they worth dealing with. When a guy says he wants to buy and don't state how or when he's going to pay you, it is a harbinger of doom on a deal.

I've bought stuff from some of the people on this thread. Pretty sure I bought a Buckmasters scope from Traylor. Paid $225 for the used scope, no box, in decent condition if you like a mildly canted mil-dot reticle. Course, might've been another guy who's a lawyer in OR. Seems like the guy was a lawyer... Maybe Killer owns a meat market or a feedlot? Good name for a lawyer anyway; honest...

Ya know guys, I've posted good replies on a variety of subjects here over the years, but I'm on other forums since my real interest is more in precision shooting and handloading, plus hunting with tactical gear. I am no longer mad at the deer, turkey's, moose, or bear. I've killed and field dressed enough game animals, but still admit to liking a Grouse dinner from time to time...

Tanner will fit in really well here. He's learned from The Best to assume he ain't gonna get a fair deal or a fair price... He's learned that The Chase here on The Classifieds is all about beating a guy out of his last $10..

I came to this forum in 2006, and "you guys" were running some poor guy out of town on a rail for admitting he needed the money to pay bills so decided to sell his gear to a guy who offered him more than the first guy who posted "I'll take it"...

Bunch of grifters then and a bunch of grifters now.
I doubt I've posted 5 items for sale here since 2012 rolled in.

I am glad I was successful enough not to ever have to worry about whether if I sold something too low, would my family or financial situation suffer...

Have met a bunch of good guys here in between the bums, but ain't that the way of life? It's all about your perspective.

Some of the biggest bums are the most unlikely. Like the military upper-level officer who was ecstatic to buy my
Rem 700 .22-250 Varmint Special barreled action. He just needed 3 weeks to come up with the other half of the money. A month later, having never head from him that he needed to pay later than planned, I sent him back his $300 deposit less cost for postal moneyorder and stamp. The guy bitched me out, but he conducted his business like a bum...

Oh well, some deals get done, some don't.
Life is too short to have to deal with bums...

Yah - those damned Gamers are taking over trying to trade X-boxes for rifles!
Perhaps the young man is inexperienced and didn't have larceny in his heart? I can give him that.

I have not followed his Blazing path across this forum and had he disclosed his age, it would have explained a lot.

I am not a "dealer", nor do I care about selling this gear at this time. I do understand this is a family site. I haven't sold gear to minors or teenagers that I know of. Sold a few knives years ago, but not to anyone under age 21.

I did think Mr. Tanner showed a high level of immaturity in the way he posted his WTBs for same stuff all over the net. Thought maybe he was just a nut job having a mid-life crisis. Not like there is a shortage of these types on the forums that're always buying loads of stuff and chisel you down on price to get a fair price...

Are there lots of 18 and under folk posting here? Mr. Tanner is evidently in process of building several rifles. He can't decide if he wants a Rem 700 or Win 70 in .375 H&H. Maybe he's gonna buy both; if he can get a "fair price"....

There is a big "fair price" crowd at Campfire. It is obnoxious and a sign of immaturity to expect a stranger you've never met or shown interest in to cut you a deal because you're YOU and YOU think you deserve whatever you want on whatever terms you decide are fair...

When a guy, even if he is only 18, is only interested in price. Whe he don't care to see a pic that you've offered, when he won't sign is full name in course of a couple replies, it shows all the guy cares about is a cheap deal.

Guys who are all about the money are rarely worth knowing, and even less likely are they worth dealing with. When a guy says he wants to buy and don't state how or when he's going to pay you, it is a harbinger of doom on a deal.

I've bought stuff from some of the people on this thread. Pretty sure I bought a Buckmasters scope from Traylor. Paid $225 for the used scope, no box, in decent condition if you like a mildly canted mil-dot reticle. Course, might've been another guy who's a lawyer in OR. Seems like the guy was a lawyer... Maybe Killer owns a meat market or a feedlot? Good name for a lawyer anyway; honest...

Ya know guys, I've posted good replies on a variety of subjects here over the years, but I'm on other forums since my real interest is more in precision shooting and handloading, plus hunting with tactical gear. I am no longer mad at the deer, turkey's, moose, or bear. I've killed and field dressed enough game animals, but still admit to liking a Grouse dinner from time to time...

Tanner will fit in really well here. He's learned from The Best to assume he ain't gonna get a fair deal or a fair price... He's learned that The Chase here on The Classifieds is all about beating a guy out of his last $10..

I came to this forum in 2006, and "you guys" were running some poor guy out of town on a rail for admitting he needed the money to pay bills so decided to sell his gear to a guy who offered him more than the first guy who posted "I'll take it"...

I am glad I was successful enough not to ever have to worry about whether if I sold something too low, would my family or financial situation suffer...

Have met a bunch of good guys here in between the bums, but ain't that the way of life? It's all about your perspective.

Some of the biggest bums are the most unlikely. Like the military upper-level officer who was ecstatic to buy my
Rem 700 .22-250 Varmint Special barreled action. He just needed 3 weeks to come up with the other half of the money. A month later, having never head from him that he needed to pay later than planned, I sent him back his $300 deposit less cost for postal moneyorder and stamp. The guy bitched me out, but he conducted his business like a bum...

WTF? Another one goes on ignore!
Originally Posted by nsaqam
OT, I thought the same thing! I just thought he made a grammatical error using IS rather than ARE.

Tanner is good people and while Hogan has 85-90% of his posts in the Classifieds, Tanner does not.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to make a deal either way with Tanner. I just did as a matter of fact.

You better not stiff me on that LCD you little [bleep]! grin

Is there a reason you believe yourself entitled to use language on my thread that is a violation of terms of use on this forum?

Evidently, sir, you are a self-willed creature who gets excited very easily over nothing, and likes to stir the pot.

The issue is whether it is acceptable for a member here to post a WTB ad, state to other member that they want to buy gear offered to them "for a fair price" and then negotiate their deal only later stating their intent is to pay in several weeks or a month's time.

A
Tripper,

Ships in the dark, amigo.

Vaya con Dios...
Wow, sensitive guy this Hogan!

The little [bleep] I was referring to was Tanner who recently sold me a Lee Collet Die (LCD).
He knows full well that I was joking.

Nowhere did I slander you. Nor did I do any pot stirring.

Like I said, sensitive guy this Hogan!
At the bottom of every thread there's a link directly to RickBin.

Feel free to report me.
Originally Posted by 16bore

That certainly is fewer and farther between anymore!

About immaturity, it always amazes me. A guy opens a "call out" thread, it doesn�t go as he had planned, now EVRYONE ELSE is THE jerk...Pot or Kettle???

I�ve done a bit of business here. The vast majority of my posts are in the classifieds, that�s ok with me. Some guys are Johnny on the Spot with their payment, shipping etc. Others, well, it�s a little more difficult. I see little wrong with how Tanner handled the deal after he said �No thanks�� I am , also, with the �No harm, no foul�� crowd. JMHO.

As for the �fair price� deal�, well, there are a few folks who are WAY too proud of their stuff. They are also usually the threads that go on and on with �bump� or �TTT� and no replies� I have also received plenty of �fair priced� items on here. And I make an honest effort to appropriately price my items for sale. It�s the nature of the online classifieds, sight un-seen world. Either deal with it, or don�t buy/sell on them.

That's my 2 cents!
Originally Posted by nsaqam
At the bottom of every thread there's a link directly to RickBin.

Feel free to report me.

If you call Rick Bin what ever you do "don't mention anything about guns"..you want ever get the dude off the phone.
Originally Posted by 16bore

Amen!
There are more than a few on here I've put on ignore (as a reminder) because if being idiots with items for sale. I've called a few off also because some folks are just a PIA and I've said [bleep] it because I never need the money that bad.

I guess some folks can read others better.
And after reading all this I am reminded that once again the wheat and chaff always separate with a little shake.

Jesus H... it appears that you still haven't read the apology I took the time to write for you. I had no intention of buying "both" actions at any point in time. I bought ONE gun, in fact I traded it here locally. The guy I traded it to provided me with a badass Remington 700 Classic 375 H&H, with which I will likely drag around 10-15 days this year when I come back from school and hopefully kill at least 4 ungulates with. I've hardly had a "blazing path" across the internet, I just take advantage of being able to ask questions to those with a lot of experience and insight.

I work my ass off on the weekends, and come Tuesday I'll work 5-6 days a week. I'm hardly a "bum" and don't really give a dang about trying to screw someone out of their last $10 dollars. See if anyone else wants to purchase a factory barrel for 170-180 dollars.

You had also said that you would've been fine hanging onto the barrel for me, which is ironically exactly what I'd asked if you would do? So I'm a bit confused about that.

Sadly, this whole thing could've been solved via PM, but you elected to not read mine and instead attempt to drag me through the mud. I hope it was worth it for you, sir!
Hogan made my "Ignore List" way back in January 2007.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1188172/Re_No_Scruples_list#Post1188172

Rather interesting and insightful to review his posts back in 2007 and flash forward to today...
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And after reading all this I am reminded that once again the wheat and chaff always separate with a little shake.

+1
I�ve done a bit of business here. The vast majority of my posts are in the classifieds, that�s ok with me.

Imagine that! What you are doing is OK with you! People amaze me sometime. miles
Originally Posted by Tanner

Jesus H... it appears that you still haven't read the apology I took the time to write for you. I had no intention of buying "both" actions at any point in time. I bought ONE gun, in fact I traded it here locally. The guy I traded it to provided me with a badass Remington 700 Classic 375 H&H, with which I will likely drag around 10-15 days this year when I come back from school and hopefully kill at least 4 ungulates with. I've hardly had a "blazing path" across the internet, I just take advantage of being able to ask questions to those with a lot of experience and insight.

I work my ass off on the weekends, and come Tuesday I'll work 5-6 days a week. I'm hardly a "bum" and don't really give a dang about trying to screw someone out of their last $10 dollars. See if anyone else wants to purchase a factory barrel for 170-180 dollars.

You had also said that you would've been fine hanging onto the barrel for me, which is ironically exactly what I'd asked if you would do? So I'm a bit confused about that.

Sadly, this whole thing could've been solved via PM, but you elected to not read mine and instead attempt to drag me through the mud. I hope it was worth it for you, sir!

Just curious as to what kind of barrel Mr tanner is looking for????
I was looking for a takeoff 375 barrel. Don't need one anymore.
I have posted some WTB's.

Some folks look at that like , "here is my opportunity to make some real cash."

I once posted a WTB for a 10/22 Finger-groove sporter.

I got 2 replies, one asking $600 for his. At the time, a good $200 above market. I respectfully declined his offer.

Posting a WTB can also be looking for things that have little use to some, but that you are looking for for a special project.

Such as a take-off bbl.
I don't know about other people here , but if i buy i will pay and if i sell something then i expect a person to be honest enough to pay. Lay Away is for places like WalMart
Originally Posted by milespatton
I�ve done a bit of business here. The vast majority of my posts are in the classifieds, that�s ok with me.

Imagine that! What you are doing is OK with you! People amaze me sometime. miles

Yep. It's ok with me. If you don't want to buy from, or sell to me, ok...no skin off my back!
Looks like Hoogie had it figured out awhile back.....

"When some guy starts hollering about another's lack of integrity, it is usually because his own lack of integrity is rearing its ugly head."

If your original post was started to segway to a "bitch about a lot of other deals and call out additional others along the way" platform, you've succeeded - congratulations. wink

A simple search prior to offering the tube to Tanner would have shown you he's a ridiculously eager youngster soaking in all he can regarding rifles. I'm sure you had everything figured out when you were 18, I know I did. wink

Thanks Scott.
Originally Posted by bea175
I don't know about other people here , but if i buy i will pay and if i sell something then i expect a person to be honest enough to pay. Lay Away is for places like WalMart

Surprisingly enough I've now bought two rifles here using a layaway plan.
Both were suggested by the sellers with no prompting from me.

One has been completed to perfect satisfaction for both parties and one is proceeding nicely along that same path.
Don't really care about any excuses the kid makes.

Is this place now a Field Of Dreams for "post it, and they will reply & meet your price"?

If the kid had any class, his first reply to someone offering him merchandise he advertised To Buy would not be to insult the guy seeking to help him meet his goals. Asking questions, getting some pics, identifying yourself, and stating up-front that you can't pay for several weeks goes a long way to helping the seller find a reason to work with you.

All the other junk posted here and opinions on who's a good-guy mean nothing. Had I wanted to "call-out" this member, I would have Done So; but I did not... The topic relates to buyers here who spare no effort to weasel the last dime out of a seller. Tanner just seems to have learned this game at a tender age.

BTW. In the last 60 days, Tanner has posted over 200 replies and posts on Classifieds. 200 posts in the last 60 days is pretty amazing. Lots to buy & sell, I reckon... Must be some really heavyduty Wheeler-Dealer, this kid...

There are other "buyers" on this forum who conduct themselves in similar manner. I was questioning whether the tactics employed were now acceptable. Pretty sure I stated that up front.

I looked at my stats... I've posted 8 items for sale and replied to 48 posts on Classifieds since Jan 1, 2012... Sold none of the items I listed.

Not really difficult for me to sell stuff; just not here. Guys here are just into gaming their buddies, good-ol' boy cowpie kickers having fun and chumping the unwitting sellers where they can. That is the big attraction.

By The Way, there are 371 members sitting on Classifieds as I type this. Only Hunters Campfire has similar # of guys perusing it. I would say most people come here to find deals on stuff they need to buy or want to sell.

Welcome to the b***h forum. I don't like this so I will cry about it. Some one did this so I cry about it. No one was hurt in the so call deal move on and quit crying. I can't believe some of the crap that has gone on here lately.
The majority of the posts I've put in here have been selling all of my 243 stuff after getting rid of the gun, and providing the bump here and there for a friend or good guy. A bit over 3 posts a day on here is amazing? That's news to me.

I'm not a kid, nor do I act like one. Take a step back perhaps, and see who is acting like a "kid".

I'll continue to learn and post on this site with class, you go ahead and do whatever pleases you. I hope the 5 minutes of your time I wasted with the barrel didn't too badly screw up your life.
And the score is... Tanner +50 ..... Hogan -40 with 8 pages and 70 posts!!! Yipeee Tanner!
Hogan...stop whining sheesh
Hogan is a whiny beotch who likes his stuff too much it would seem since he admits he can't sell anything here.

I just sold two rifles and a scope and the total time for each was less than an hour from beginning to end.

If you don't like it here Hogan don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

[bleep] loser!
I hate seeing threads like this go 8 pages. Long threads should be reserved for dead ungulates and pictures of rifles. So Mr. Hogan can say what he pleases, but this thread is as good as dead I do believe. Sorry for another post on it...
Well said... few things stink as bad as a party room the day after.
You don't need to make any apology's, or answer to any accusations Tanner.

You're not the one who is wrong here.
+A1 on that one...
He's only here to peddle...What happens here is no different than two guys talking about guns and swapping stuff. Simple system... price... sell...or don't
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
You don't need to make any apology's, or answer to any accusations Tanner.

You're not the one who is wrong here.

Well said
Don't really care about any excuses the kid makes.

Is this place now a Field Of Dreams for "post it, and they will reply & meet your price"?

If the kid had any class, his first reply to someone offering him merchandise he advertised To Buy would not be to insult the guy seeking to help him meet his goals. Asking questions, getting some pics, identifying yourself, and stating up-front that you can't pay for several weeks goes a long way to helping the seller find a reason to work with you.

All the other junk posted here and opinions on who's a good-guy mean nothing. Had I wanted to "call-out" this member, I would have Done So; but I did not... The topic relates to buyers here who spare no effort to weasel the last dime out of a seller. Tanner just seems to have learned this game at a tender age.

BTW. In the last 60 days, Tanner has posted over 200 replies and posts on Classifieds. 200 posts in the last 60 days is pretty amazing. Lots to buy & sell, I reckon... Must be some really heavyduty Wheeler-Dealer, this kid...

There are other "buyers" on this forum who conduct themselves in similar manner. I was questioning whether the tactics employed were now acceptable. Pretty sure I stated that up front.

I looked at my stats... I've posted 8 items for sale and replied to 48 posts on Classifieds since Jan 1, 2012... Sold none of the items I listed.

Not really difficult for me to sell stuff; just not here. Guys here are just into gaming their buddies, good-ol' boy cowpie kickers having fun and chumping the unwitting sellers where they can. That is the big attraction.

By The Way, there are 371 members sitting on Classifieds as I type this. Only Hunters Campfire has similar # of guys perusing it. I would say most people come here to find deals on stuff they need to buy or want to sell.

If you don't like the classifieds then peddle your wares some where else...You stated your self that you have not sold anything this years..wonder why..DUH

I would say most people come here to find deals on stuff they need to buy or want to sell.

You figured that out all by your self or did your sister help you out..

I vote for Tanner....for something...
I am not understanding the OP's position on the classifieds. Nor do I think Tanner did anything wrong. Doesn't appear he tried to get the barrel for nearly half the asking either.

I am impressed that Tanner didn't use "it's like" or "totally" in his posts.

This thread isn't even bricktop worthy nor should it be 8 pages long.

Guess I am not helping on that front though.
Tanner says above: "I was looking for a takeoff 375 barrel. Don't need one anymore."

Not True.
Not once while we were messaging did The Kid say he was just making inquiries. He posted that he Wanted To Buy, not that he was "looking for a barrel".

If you are "looking for" an item, it means you want to SEE What Is Out There. This is also a forum-grifters sort of gambit because it fast becomes a race to the bottom among those who will take anything... This place is all about scamming the seller and sellers not disclosing defects they should have. But all among buddies, eh?

If you are "Looking For" an item, is your first response to see how low in price seller will go?

No. You're just LOOKING, with no intent to buy today.

If guy says he Wants To Buy, do you take him at his Word?
He's said he's a buyer.
Can you assume he wants to buy and get the item promptly?
Should he say so, up front; IF he don't have the money to pay right away? Should he say he can wait for an item in his budget?

It always amuses me to see guys who post "willing to pay a fair price" because they get no replies, not even a "sent you a PM"...

Tanner was not conducting himself with any degree of honesty. After working me down on price, but never telling me his full name or his age.
He tells me he wants to buy, just couldn't pay right then.

He said nothing about buying my gear being dependent upon other factors.

Guys have said they've wrecked their truck or had medical expenses, so had to pull out of a buy they committed to; Stuff Happens. You find another buyer.

I got no grudge here, but the events aren't as The Kid sees them. I never named him, he came on here. He is just a model Campfire member who sees getting what he wants at any price as the reason for living; like so many other bums on this board.

You're a bit nutty. You named me in the second post you made on this thread. There are some absolute lies being written. But, whatever makes you feel better, my dignity and good name remain. I don't believe the same can be said for you.
Hogan resurrects his whine to add an entirely new layer of whine.

You price yourself too high and people will either not buy from you or will try to get you to lower your price.

You were harmed in no way so why make it seem as though you were put upon?
And to answer your very first sentence in this epic whine, yes the consensus has changed on you.
This has got to be one of the dumbest threads of all time
If you have something you're willing to sale, name a price.
If someone doesn't want to pay that price, then the discussion should be over at that point.
It's really that simple.
I wish logcutter would wrassle Hogan and teach him a lesson. Kinda like back in the old Andre the Giant, Ultimate Warrior, Iron Sheik days...

I won't put up with as much whining as hogan's done on this one thread from my not quite 5 year old.
© 24hourcampfire