Home
Posted By: kwg020 Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/15/22
Why from Louisiana ?? Why not Devils Lake North Dakota ? It's my understanding that Devils Lake ND gets a tad bit saltier every year since it does not have a close natural outlet. This distance is so much shorter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...mp;cvid=d9dce18d61ad4a86b0098bd6c2292ba3

A pipe dream, or a possibility? Water experts debate 1,500-mile aqueduct from Cajun Country to Lake Powell.

Two hundred miles north of New Orleans, in the heart of swampy Cajun Country, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1963 cut a rogue arm of the Mississippi River in half with giant levees to keep the main river intact and flowing to the Gulf of Mexico. The Old River Control Structure, as it was dubbed, is also the linchpin of massive but delicate locks and pulsed flows that feed the largest bottomland hardwood forests and wetlands in the United States, outstripping Florida’s better known Okefenokee Swamp.

Clouds of birds – hundreds of species – live in or travel through Louisiana’s rich Atchafalaya forests each year, said National Audubon Society Delta Conservation Director Erik Johnson. They include gawky pink roseate spoonbills, tiny bright yellow warblers, known as swamp candles because of their bright glow in the humid, green woods, and more.

This summer, as seven states and Mexico push to meet a Tuesday deadline to agree on plans to shore up the Colorado River and its shriveling reservoirs, retired engineer Don Siefkes of San Leandro, California, wrote a letter to The Desert Sun of the USA TODAY Network with what he said was a solution to the West's water woes: Build an aqueduct from the Old River Control Structure to Lake Powell, 1,489 miles west, to refill the Colorado River system with Mississippi River water.

“Citizens of Louisiana and Mississippi south of the Old River Control Structure don’t need all that water. All it does is cause flooding and massive tax expenditures to repair and strengthen dikes,” wrote Siefkes. "New Orleans has a problem with that much water anyway, so let’s divert 250,000 gallons/second to Lake Powell, which currently has a shortage of 5.5 trillion gallons. This would take 254 days to fill.”

The letter and others with an array of ideas generated huge interest from readers around the country – and debate about whether the concepts are technically feasible, politically possible or environmentally wise. Seeking answers, The Desert Sun consulted water experts, conservation groups and government officials.

Engineers said the pipeline idea is technically feasible. But water experts said it would likely take at least 30 years to clear legal hurdles. And biologists and environmental attorneys said New Orleans and the Louisiana coast, along with the interior swamplands, need every drop of muddy Mississippi water.

The massive river, with tributaries from Montana to Ohio, is a national artery for shipping goods out to sea. And contrary to Siefkes' claims, experts said, the silty river flows provide sediment critical to shore up the rapidly disappearing Louisiana coast and barrier islands chewed to bits by hurricanes and sea rise. Scientists estimate a football field's worth of Louisiana coast is lost every 60 to 90 minutes. Major projects to restore the coast and save brown pelicans and other endangered species are now underway, and Mississippi sediment delivery is at the heart of them.

Siphon off a big portion, and “you’d be swapping one ecological catastrophe for another,” said Audubon’s Johnson.

'My water, your water. My state, your state'
Nonetheless, Siefkes’ trans-basin pipeline proposal went viral, receiving nearly half a million views. It’s one of dozens of letters the newspaper has received proposing or vehemently opposing schemes to fix the crashing Colorado River system, which provides water to nearly 40 million people and farms in seven western states.

Fueled by Google and other search engines, more than 3.2 million people have read the letters, an unprecedented number for the regional publication's opinion content.

Many saw Siefkes' idea and others like it as sheer theft by a region that needs to fix its own woes.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/15/22
Prolly not doable. But they better hurry up and do something cause its shrinking fast
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
You would need a nuclear reactor to get enough power to pump water from the Mississippi to Lake Powell. It ain't downhill.
Posted By: MAC Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
CA has a big blue wet thing to the west called the Pacific Ocean. They need to build a dozen or so big desalination plants along the coast of CA to supply water to the major cities. Problem solved.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
How would they power the pumps? The grid is a bit short of power as it is and they have all those EV's to charge twice a day.
The lowest pass over the Rockies is the south pass in WY at about 7400'. The shortest way is straight west through NM but it's a lot higher. Even the south pass requires lifting a river about 1.5 miles straight up. Then the water has to go back south again to the Colorado river (if it didn't get hijacked to turn so. ID and no. NV deserts into productive farmland). We could pay for it all if we hadn't given all that money to the Ukraine.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
By the time it makes it thru the decision process and permitting and mapping and geologic ecologic work it would be 30 years. And i doubt by then it will matter
They estimate that it takes 20 years for a nuke to go from initial planning to throwing the switch. Nothing less would provide that much power.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Yeah, phugq those guys. Get your own damned water.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
900 million gallons per hour. You can’t fathom the pump and power requirements to pump that vertically 10 feet let alone 10,000 feet.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
I wonder what kind of Engineer he is retired from?

I have read desalinization makes sense economically where diesel is free and air pollution is not a concern.

(Saudi Arabia)
Originally Posted by MAC
CA has a big blue wet thing to the west called the Pacific Ocean. They need to build a dozen or so big desalination plants along the coast of CA to supply water to the major cities. Problem solved.

I’ve been saying that same thing for 20 years. Building desalination plants before the issue hits critical levels would be far cheaper and likely better built since it wouldn’t be a race against time and maybe with a public-private partnership the plants could be built much “cheaper” and more efficiently than if the government was doing it.

Things like this are too simple and make too much sense for the government to move forward. Our modern planners build to suit our needs yesterday so that when they’re finished widening the road or whatever they’re doing it’s already outdated, they can’t seem to accurately forecast what our needs will be in 20 years and then build to meet those needs. Instead they just have some of the busiest roadways under a constant state of perpetual construction. Of course by waiting until the last minute the costs quadruple or more but since it’s only taxpayers money it’s no concern to them.
If they could find a way to generate electricity from buttsex and effeminate hot air, Cali would never be short in power and could export water from desalination plants.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
900 million gallons per hour. You can’t fathom the pump and power requirements to pump that vertically 10 feet let alone 10,000 feet.

Aqueducts are not new technology and many cities, towns and hamlets are still supplied via aqueduct. I imagine it’s about as tough to move oil through the millions of miles of pipeline as it is to move water through a pipeline only with a lot less environmental concerns and greeny protests. 😁
Posted By: akrange Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Kick all the Illegals out and Water Consumption issue becomes more Manageable..
They don’t call them Wetbacks for Nothing..

Those Planners knew the impact of ever increasing demand having illegals just makes things tougher to deal with..

Lake Powell would have more water in it .. Butt.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They estimate that it takes 20 years for a nuke to go from initial planning to throwing the switch. Nothing less would provide that much power.

Yeah and only about 5 to 7 years is the actual construction. Too much BS and expense to build them, but I am for them if they could clean up the process. Have them running full on building power or a desalination plant when the power isn't needed.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
I don't live far from the Old River Control Structure don't think I will live long enough to see that happen.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
If they could find a way to generate electricity from buttsex and effeminate hot air, Cali would never be short in power and could export water from desalination plants.

So far they’ve been able to find a way to generate monkeypox from their disgusting depravity but that’s about it….

If those sick bastards could actually generate electricity or anything positive from “butt sex and effeminate hot air” they’d be so fugging self-righteous, more so than they are now, that they’d require that we all generated electricity. They’d want to show our kids, via the brainwashing of the teacher’s union, how they can make electricity too. If you didn’t want to make electricity because you were tired or you had a headache or you were just too drunk they’d send one of their highly paid volunteers from the local non-profit over to extract the electricity themselves. 😉
Posted By: Distridr Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by MAC

This is the answer.
What could possibly go wrong with fugking with the Mississippi River again?
Posted By: duke61 Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Pipe along interstate 5 from Oregon would be the shortest route, it would provide jobs and water, the cost was estimated few years back at $30 bil.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
That brain addled do-right-daddy retired engineer obviously isn't aware that weather, for millions of years, has occurred in cycles. The boondoggle aqueduct he proposes would take up to 30 years to build. One of these days when the weather cycle changes, it will begin to rain again and again and again in the West, dumping many feet of snow in the various western mountains and the rivers out here will be replenished. No need for the mega-billions of $$$$ aqueduct boondoggle then.

Lake Powell will again be "up to normal." Problem solved.

L.W.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
What could possibly go wrong with fugking with the Mississippi River again?

They need to leave the Mississippi River alone down here, go get the water from the Pacific Ocean.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
How about the Columbia River instead of the Mississippi R.?
Suck the Rio Grand Dry ..
That’s where all starts ..
Things just easier..
He’ll they’ll loose their Stigma..

Hahaha Hahaha
Posted By: shootem Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
If massive desalination plants are built on the communist coast what will be done with all that salt? Return it in concentrated solution to the Pacific? Won’t that require decades of environmental impact studies? Will the US be faced with lawsuits from island states surrounded by increasingly caustic waters? Is this good for the planet?
Posted By: Joshm28 Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Based on my limited pipeline knowledge you would need 4 5000hp pumps every 50 miles give or take up until you hit the mountains. This for two 36” lines, but water has a higher specific gravity and is harder to pump so one would have to do the math. Once the mountains hit you would neck down the lines and swap to multistage pumps with more head pressure. It’s very feasible from a mechanical standpoint. You gotta think the pipeline up the east coast starts in Houston and ends in New Jersey. There’s elevation hurdles on that path as well. But the pumps from Houston all the way to South Carolina are virtually the same size.
Na.. Market it.. Call it something like Salt Lick ..
Those Nantucket People will suck it Up ..
Big Big in Provincetown..
Key West ..
Perhaps in the short term, until they figger out this water shortage thing they could quit trying to grow grass in a dambed desert.
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
You don't want to be involved with the left coast idiots. Let them parish.
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
I would say FUGG YOU in a millisecond.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by Sycamore
I wonder what kind of Engineer he is retired from?

I have read desalinization makes sense economically where diesel is free and air pollution is not a concern.

(Saudi Arabia)

Why not just cloud seed? Like we do over Cooba.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by GAGoober
How about Great Lakes water to Flaming Gorge. Then it could run downstream to the constantly drought stricken west. There is a huge supply and if we could just quit sending and spending money on NATO and That God awful Ukraine not to mention trying to democratize the Middle East. I'm not worried about coastal California but there is Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and of course Eastern California. Our kind of people.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by Hastings
How about Great Lakes water to Flaming Gorge. Then it could run downstream to the constantly drought stricken west. There is a huge supply and if we could just quit sending and spending money on NATO and That God awful Ukraine not to mention trying to democratize the Middle East. I'm not worried about coastal California but there is Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and of course Eastern California. Our kind of people.
I've said it before but all of these ideas about taking water from one region and giving it to another is just stupid. The second this transfer is accomplished every state in the pipeline including the source becomes beholden to California and their lunatic point of view on everything. That water will immediately become a "human right" and every population touching a Great Lake or one of it's watersheds from Minnesota to Maine will be sucking hind tit to the "needs" of California. I don't give a rat's azz if it's technically doable. [bleep] California and their "6th largest economy in the world". Get your own dam water.
I’d be concerned about the impact of removing massive amounts of water from one watershed to another.

Pulling water out of the ocean to water lawns and golf courses for califahgs and az snowbirds? Drop in the bucket. Re-routing water from the the Great Lakes (for example)to make viable previously unviable farm land to grow nuts and avocados on top of the lawns and golf courses? Let alone the requirements for hay etc I’m not on board.
Posted By: Steve Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by duke61
Pipe along interstate 5 from Oregon would be the shortest route, it would provide jobs and water, the cost was estimated few years back at $30 bil.

If I recall then Oregon Gov. Tom McCall told California that the could have all the water they wanted if they pumped it out in Astoria.
Columbia river? Almost all of it's water comes from 3 PNW states and a little from MT and Canada. Except for some of north Idaho, the entire Columbia drainage is in a drought situation and could be for many more years.
Besides, CA has been after Columbia and Snake River water for years. The people in ID, WA, and OR are 'opposed', shall we say. I can't speak for WA and OR, but if the Snake river in ID had any extra water, we have LOTS of uses for it. Every drop of it is already appropriated.
I believe the state legislation in California I'm the 1970's was crafting a bill for this very thing.

This could technically be done using the Columbia River hydro power generated to pump water up over the Columbia gorge into Oregon and onward to California and downhill thru the I-5 corridor.

While this is realistic or possible it's an horrible idea. California would be in essence stealing or claiming the northwest quad of the country's water and they'd want the power generated to go along with it. The real problem with the idea would be the surrounding states would be subject to California's environmental state laws if ever such a project came to fruition. It's best to let the Golden State wither on the vine.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by Borchardt
You would need a nuclear reactor to get enough power to pump water from the Mississippi to Lake Powell. It ain't downhill.

Better yet, Newsom will use wind turbines! According to Newsom and Pelosi, wind turbines are more reliable than nuclear energy! So relax, our liw IQ government has your back!
Posted By: Stammster Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Moot point building a pipeline. The most recent study (3 days old) by the global warming “scientists” predict a mega flood for California.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-california-new-study-says/10308979002/

Global warming is causing both drought and wildfires, but on the other hand will also cause historic rainfalls.

Seriously, you couldn’t even make this $nit up if you tried.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by Stammster
Moot point building a pipeline. The most recent study (3 days old) by the global warming “scientists” predict a mega flood for California.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-california-new-study-says/10308979002/

Global warming is causing both drought and wildfires, but on the other hand will also cause historic rainfalls.

Seriously, you couldn’t even make this $nit up if you tried.

Hope it washes the sumbiches out to sea.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
I'm sure there are plans drawn up already to divert at least half of the Columbia.
Posted By: hanco Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
I been saying that for years, Mississippi always floods
Posted By: funshooter Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by hanco
I been saying that for years, Mississippi always floods

I have saying for over 20 years
Why do they not build a water pipeline with fingers running around the Country and places that have flooding can pay to pump water into the system to get rid of it out of their area and other places that are in a drought can pay to get the water out of the system.

Paying at both ends could pay for the filtration , Pumps and Maintenance.

But then I am just a stupid Welder/ Inspector
All the naysayers that don't want California to get water might check all the Trump counties out. They are the ones that need the water. Look at the vote in places like Susanville and Shingletown. Good redneck people in that part of the state. I agree with hating on Berkley, San Fran, and LA et al but not the red side of the state.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Yeah, our county has historically voted red at a 75% rate.

Of course, there's only about 4k registered voters, less than on a city block in LA probably.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
1,400 miles of 1" PVC pipe oughta' do it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Prolly not doable. But they better hurry up and do something cause its shrinking fast

You've heard of the US Army Corps of Engineers?

It's doable..................................if they decide it is.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Pipelines are bad, or so Montanans have been told..
Posted By: Slope77 Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/california-regulator-rejects-plan-desalination-plant-2022-05-13/

You can about imagine what kinda of kooky enviro reasoning is behind this. Heck, they get enough sun that they could probably power it with solar.

They already suck the Colorado dry, or darn near. Now they want to start on the Missouri Or Mississippi, but they can’t make way for a desalination plant when they are on the largest body of water on earth?
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Want to fill Powell & Mead? Quit releasing water! Not a drop of the Colorado makes it to the Pacific anymore. If Cali dried up and blew away so much the better.
Posted By: Oldidaho Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
The root of the water problem is California's 40 million population living in a desert. Establish reverse migration to Mexico until the population is down to a Sustainable 5 million or so.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Fug CA, let them be dust in the wind.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
The root of the water problem is California's 40 million population living in a desert. Establish reverse migration to Mexico until the population is down to a Sustainable 5 million or so.
This ^^ I just thought that water from Devils Lake is so much closer than the Mississippi. But, ND is a small State with a relatively few people so I'm sure there is no reason to help them out. Just because the lake continues to grow and the salination problem is only going to get worse doesn't mean a thing to Washinton D.C.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020
This ^^ I just thought that water from Devils Lake is so much closer than the Mississippi. But, ND is a small State with a relatively few people so I'm sure there is no reason to help them out. Just because the lake continues to grow and the salination problem is only going to get worse doesn't mean a thing to Washinton D.C.

kwg

Devils Lake isn’t all that big - wouldn’t help California much. May drain much of it just filling up the pipeline. Devils lake could easily shrink again with prolonged drought - we were in a wet cycle for a while and I’m not sure that it is still growing.

Much of the upper Missouri drainage can be subject to drought as well - not sure it would be “consistent” enough. Often Wyoming and Montana, where much of the Missouri water comes from, are dry when California is dry. Upper stream and lower stream states already fight about the water.

It is pretty much uphill from the Mississippi to the continental divide in the Rockies.

Again, the Pacific Ocean is the largest body of water in the world. Why not desalination?
Funny stuff the idea is. They want to pump a flow rate that is equivalent to 1/3 that of Niagara Falls. Good grief Charlie Brown.
Not just California but Las Vegas area. You cant build a green yard in a desert or golf course
Yeah, let’s screw up a unique ecosystem in a red state for those fruity fugs in California.
Maybe California would be more “sustainable” if they weren’t a sanctuary state for illegal immigrants. It amazes me that so often the biggest advocates for open borders are also the craziest greenies.

The country would actually be more livable with 250 million people instead of 335 million. With our reduced birth rate, if we controlled our borders, we would eventually downsize to a population more easily supported by our resources, with more space for everyone.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Maybe quit paying money for Mexicans to make babies and pay them to get fixed instead?

Close up the Chynese anchor baby motels?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Plane crashed with tourists on board

https://www.ksl.com/article/5045827...es-into-lake-powell-killing-2-injuring-5
Nevin Newsome is a Devil not a Man ..

Cool Clear Water..
Posted By: hatari Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by MAC

Ah, yes but.......... the enormous energy to run desalination plants, where does that energy come from? California has electrical issues as it is. They hate fossil fuels.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
It is perfect "lib think" to ban something and then demand something else that requires what you just banned.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It is perfect "lib think" to ban something and then demand something else that requires what you just banned.
It should be written into their contract that they require any pump used to transfer water be powered by a renewable power source...

And don't look to the Great Lakes to bail their a$$ out. There's already been numerous studies that show that a major water withdrawal will cause irreparable damage to the watershed. Kali can go fūck themselves.
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Not just California but Las Vegas area. You cant build a green yard in a desert or golf course
All water is after all publicly owned. There ought to be laws strictly forbidding the watering of lawn grass and golf courses and for that matter tightly regulating car washing. When I was a kid we lived in Tremonton Utah and there was a tremendous use of city water on yard grass. Everyone had green yards but us, my father wasn't into watering something you would have to cut down. I had a cousin in Borger Texas (about 20 inches rain per year) that had an expensive lawn watering system and then he paid someone to cut it. All that yard water all over the panhandle was being pulled from Lake Meredith which was suffering from low levels and high and dry boat launches.
So, you have millions of gallons of water being pushed up over 8000'. How much weight is in the pipeline at any given time? So, the power goes out and the pumps quit. Suddenly you have millions of gallons of water, 8000' in the air, and it wants to run downhill. It's going to take some tremendous check valves in the line to keep all that water from backflowing to New Orleans. It would make Katrina look like a summer breeze.
So, you have millions of gallons of water being pushed up over 8000'. How much weight is in the pipeline at any given time? So, the power goes out and the pumps quit. Suddenly you have millions of gallons of water, 8000' in the air, and it wants to run downhill. It's going to take some tremendous check valves in the line to keep all that water from backflowing to New Orleans. It would make Katrina look like a summer breeze.
Capillary Action... 🤔 🙄 😁
Remember back awhile when there was a discussion about pumped storrage? They could used the head pressure of the water going downhill on the west side to turn generators to supply power to the pumps on the east side pushing water up hill.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Capillary Action... 🤔 🙄 😁
Remember back awhile when there was a discussion about pumped storrage? They could used the head pressure of the water going downhill on the west side to turn generators to supply power to the pumps on the east side pushing water up hill.
It could possibly supply some of the power but not nearly all of it. That would be perpetual motion.
All this Hate for Commyfornia

What about Texas
They could use the water right now if there was a Pipeline.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22

First of all the project will never happen. Second if it did there would be multiple pumping stations, multiple check valves etc. The Trans Alaska pipeline highest point is nearly 5000 feet with no issues.

There is no pipe in the world large enough to even a have a minimal impact on flooding New Orleans, no matter where it is flowing from.

Opening Morganza spillway barely has an impact and has only been used a few times.

Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Another issue would be dealing with amount of silt in the water. There is enough silt in the Mississippi water to fill in the Atchafalaya basin. I would imagine the river sand etc would be very problematic for pumps, valves, erosion in pipe, etc.
Yeah, it could be done but the power required over the route would probably require several nuke plants. Far better to build those nuke plants in CA and use them to run desalination plants than to bring water over the continental divide.
A major problem with desalination is that there's the waste brine water to deal with. It's super salty and can't be dumped just anywhere. If it's dumped back in the ocean, there'll be fish kills all around the discharge.
Posted By: BLG Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Reducing the flow of 1/3 the water from going down the Mississippi River? That would destroy the delta here.

By the way, the Miss River is not the causes flooding down this way. Sure the river gets high and spillways get opened in the spring. But, the river doesn't over top levees and cause flooding. The flooding comes from storm surge via the gulf of Mexico. But heavy rains can cause flooding anywhere.

Clyde
Originally Posted by funshooter
All this Hate for Commyfornia

What about Texas
They could use the water right now if there was a Pipeline.
Texas and part of New Mexico would be easier. They are east of the divide. The panhandle of Texas and Oklahoma are always in trouble.
The TX panhandle and OK are part of the big problem with overpumping the Ogallala aquifer. They're pumping more water than can be naturally replaced. We have the same problem in southern Idaho with the Snake River aquifer.
A major problem with desalination is that there's the waste brine water to deal with. It's super salty and can't be dumped just anywhere. If it's dumped back in the ocean, there'll be fish kills all around the discharge.

Tell the kids that stuff cures obesity. McDonalds will serve it on a bun for only 55 cents.
Originally Posted by duke61
That would be great for the salmon.

Sell it to the midwestern road and highway departments for snow and ice. They can put it on our roads instead of rocksalt that has to be mined. Don't know if it's still operating but there used to be a large underground mine near Hutchinson, KS.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
If lake mead gets full they can generate electricity to power the pumps.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm sure there are plans drawn up already to divert at least half of the Columbia.

They have been trying that for years and every time it comes up they have gotten a very, very firm NO in response. From the Oregon Government and the Feds.... Pretty sure this time won't be any different.

If you want to see wasteful water use- drive down I5 and see where they are growing flood irrigated rice in the desert... biggest waste of resources ever... Just more evidence of how far up their asses they have their heads in California
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by 1minute

They have been trying that for years and every time it comes up they have gotten a very, very firm NO in response. From the Oregon Government and the Feds.... Pretty sure this time won't be any different.

If you want to see wasteful water use- drive down I5 and see where they are growing flood irrigated rice in the desert... biggest waste of resources ever... Just more evidence of how far up their asses they have their heads in California

We have all the water we want for watering Golf Courses
It should be written into their contract that they require any pump used to transfer water be powered by a renewable power source...

And don't look to the Great Lakes to bail their a$$ out. There's already been numerous studies that show that a major water withdrawal will cause irreparable damage to the watershed. Kali can go fūck themselves.

And I think the Great Lakes region passed a law several years back of not giving water away
Posted By: las Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Water for lawns and golf courses are a pipeline priority for liberal infestations over pipe lines for oil for whole country use, obviously. I'm sure they would avoid all First Nation "holy" sites...

Get a clue, guys! smile
The Upper Peninsula is full of signs with a picture of Lake Superior and the caption "not for sale".

And I think the Great Lakes region passed a law several years back of not giving water away
They give it away, but it has to be agreed upon by all of the states that surround the lakes and Canada. The volume is tightly monitored with Chicago being the biggest user. The flow of the chicago river is reversed flushing their schidt into the Mississippi river. Also used it to supplement the level of the upper Mississippi when they had low water levels.
Why are so many against moving fresh water around for the benefit of mankind?
There is no way the states east of CO are gonna allow the west coast to tap the Mississippi. It's laughable.
Posted By: Steve Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
There is no way the states east of CO any states are gonna allow the west coast to tap the Mississippi California to tap their water. It's laughable.

Don't lump us all in.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Powell & Mead are in the news every day out here

water is good

this res.....is where the MIL gets her water

tease her all the time.....Dorothy gets up & goes out watering yard/plants

Joe's Valley drops anther foot

https://www.ksl.com/article/5045840...rotect-futures-of-lake-powell-lake-mead-

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hastings I have a couple thoughts and questions for u per ur comment
First do you really think moving water from the Mississippi will fix the problem? If and a big if it got congress approved today and no environmental delays no push back from any organization it would take close to 10 yrs to build this. Lake mead i believe is almost dead pool now which means can’t produce power soon or let any water through.
Second I have no problem helping people you actually need and appreciate it however,,, and trust me I’m a Trumpster I view yahoo news which seems even more liberal every day and I read the story’s and see the pictures of people still watering their yards even with restrictions. They say they don’t care fine me. And almonds for export? Come on let’s grow to feed us the USA. And golf courses stop watering them. When the areas in need stop and at least try to show they worried then I will be. Secondly their arrogance out there got them to where they are on several fronts including water. This situation SHOULD have been addressed 20 30 years ago. The resivors were made for 1/4th the population and 1/4th the golf courses etc. and why on earth would you build in a desert without making any changes to the water situation.
Just my 2 cents
Posted By: Morewood Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Just to round out the discussion, Glen Canyon Dam on Lake Powell was damn near over-topped and wiped out in the flood of 1983.

Currently reading "The Emerald Mile" about the fastest dorry boat trip ever down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon at massive flood stage that was tearing up Glen Canyon Dam.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad

The Corp has fupped duck every thing they've ever tried to do. No reason whatsoever to think they'd get this right, none.
Once again, fug you guys. Find your own damned water.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/17/22
Lake Michigan is so high that on an east wind the waves are so close to the road that you need your wind shield wipers on sometimes. It is about 4' higher than normal, maybe more. I still wont give them a drop cause in 10 yrs the water level might be down 4' below normal and ships have to lower their weight coming into all the harbors. I will give them water when they repent of their actions. It is much like Sodom and Gomora over there. If the repent, maybe God will end the drought. They wont though.
To think that you can rob water by the millions of acre feet from one locale and move it without major repercussions is almost as smart as believing that Biden, the jab, and supporting the ukraine are in America’s best interests.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by Morewood
Just to round out the discussion, Glen Canyon Dam on Lake Powell was damn near over-topped and wiped out in the flood of 1983.

Currently reading "The Emerald Mile" about the fastest dorry boat trip ever down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon at massive flood stage that was tearing up Glen Canyon Dam.

thats a great book and a great read!
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Once again, fug you guys. Find your own damned water.

Geez. You harshed my mellow, JoeBob. I don't wish you ill will.

It’s really easy to say fugk Cali, or some other state without sufficient water for their current usage.

Personally, I don’t say fugk Cali or az, or any other dry state. I say use what’s there without fugking everyone else. Once you limit out, then it’s time for rock yards and sand golf courses I. Order to keep their ag alive. unless the folks of that state decide to divert the water to trivial things like a yard or golf course.
Posted By: MAC Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/17/22

It ain't mankind, it is CA. Screw CA and every one of the 31,000,000 idiots that call it home.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/17/22
Hastings I have a couple thoughts and questions for u per ur comment
First do you really think moving water from the Mississippi will fix the problem? If and a big if it got congress approved today and no environmental delays no push back from any organization it would take close to 10 yrs to build this. Lake mead i believe is almost dead pool now which means can’t produce power soon or let any water through.
Second I have no problem helping people you actually need and appreciate it however,,, and trust me I’m a Trumpster I view yahoo news which seems even more liberal every day and I read the story’s and see the pictures of people still watering their yards even with restrictions. They say they don’t care fine me. And almonds for export? Come on let’s grow to feed us the USA. And golf courses stop watering them. When the areas in need stop and at least try to show they worried then I will be. Secondly their arrogance out there got them to where they are on several fronts including water. This situation SHOULD have been addressed 20 30 years ago. The resivors were made for 1/4th the population and 1/4th the golf courses etc. and why on earth would you build in a desert without making any changes to the water situation.
Just my 2 cents
You make a lot of good points. It seems we agree on water usage for lawns and golf courses. Heck, I'm against car washing. Water is public property and should not be able to be trapped on private property in arid country. I really don't believe the Mississippi is the place to get the water as it is dirty and at near sea level. I admit I haven't studied the watershed enough to determine the closest or best place to get Great Lake water over the divide and into position to flow it to Flaming Gorge which would feed Lake Powell, Lake Mead, and Havasu. If it was only a portion of what was needed it would help and there would be some recovery of hydro-electric power from the downhill run of the water once it is over the hump. It is only a dream, I know, and would require a constitutional amendment to prevent states and enviro-nuts from stalling the project for decades.
Sending water to Cali from anywhere.....be it Lake Michigan, the Columbia, or the Mississippi is akin to feeding meth to junior high school children.

Once Cali gets a taste of OUR water, they will never get enough to satisfy them.

California State Government went to great lengths to draw people to the state. The powers that be and the developers banked $Billions. With never a thought that the growing population was rapidly outpacing their resources.

Read the history of Salton Sea. Same story, just a bit smaller. Developers got rich. Joe six pack was left holding the bag. And there was no cash left in the bag.

Water rights law has been established in this nation for a long-long time. Small wars have been fought and quite a bit of blood spilled over water. Let's not revisit those issues.

If Cali dries up and blows away, so be it. People will go bankrupt and move on. Just like my grandparents did from Oklahoma during the dust-bowl. The Earth will keep spinning, and life will go on.

A question?

I have read that Vegas has the lowest elevation water tap in Lake Mead. Sp Vegas has the physical ability to take water after dead pool level is reached and no more water is able to go downstream.

But do they have the oldest LEGAL water-rights?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/17/22
Whoever has the rights might be able to pump the dead pool over the hump and get a bit more from it. I would think they'd have to filter out a lot of fish in the process.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
To think that you can rob water by the millions of acre feet from one locale and move it without major repercussions is almost as smart as believing that Biden, the jab, and supporting the ukraine are in America’s best interests.

Cali pulled it off in the Owens Valley, probably think they can do it again somewhere else.
$400 billion in the "Inflation Reduction Act" for Colorado River drought relief.
You could buy a lot of farms in CA and AZ and fallow them until the drought subsides. But they will eat up most of it in "administrative costs".
Colorado River Drought Relief
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Valsdad

The Corp has fupped duck every thing they've ever tried to do. No reason whatsoever to think they'd get this right, none.

Do you see anywhere in my statement that I said they'd get it right?
Posted By: BWalker Re: Pipeline to Lake Powell - 08/17/22
I dont see such a project passing environmental review. I alsondont see States wanting to give the southwest a drop of water.
This very type of project has been done on a small scale where I live. The local water district we have in a mountain valley has basically unlimited water for our small population but in their infinite wisdom put an EPA certified water plant at the bottom of the drainage and pumps water uphill for 20 miles in lieu of using the old water facility at the head of the canyon. Instead of using gravity they installed pumping stations. Real geniuses working on that one and this is in an area of near unlimited water resources.
© 24hourcampfire