24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: It's Okay That Meat Has Become Unafordable Stickfight 05/06/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It is a waste, lockers can not butcher animal that can't walk.

None of them can walk when they start butchering them wabigoon.
141 11,503 more...
Re: For the Toyota hater's club BamBam 05/06/24
Originally Posted by duke61
Originally Posted by Heym06
Toyota makes great running and durable vehicle's. Not everyone can get by with small trucks. The Tundra is a nice half ton pickup. But lacks the towing and hauling capacity needed by many. Ten years ago the Toyota dealer told me, wait a year or two and Toyota will have a full sized, diesel pickup. Many other vehicles run as long and with little maintenance. I tow a couple large trailers and the Tundra isn't up to the task. Tried and proven while having a friend, tow my camp trailer with his Tundra V8. My old diesel walks off and leaves it pulling more weight, especially over the Cascade passes! Drive what you need, but don't think everyone has Toyota needs, many needs exceed Toyota's capabilities! YMMV
Agree 100%, Toyota trucks lack the power to tow, they are great otherwise.

Same here, I totally agree. That’s why I have both. My little Tacoma is an awesome little Firewood getter.. Awesome off-road capabilities in tight spots overall, I love the damn thing. But I have a few diesel pick ups to choose from either a 7.3 6.0 or a 5.9 Cummings six speed.
100 8,554 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Remington 22 mag ammo Snowwolfe 05/06/24
Remington 33 grain premier 22 mag ammo. Part # PR22M1
One box is missing 26 rounds. Total ammo count is 974.
$275 shipped to lower 48 states.
Please post here if you wish to purchase as it is cross listed and first post wins
1 397 more...
IC B2
Re: Trump ‘disgusted’ over Noem’s dog drama: ‘Why would she do that?’ T_Inman 05/06/24
Hard core working dogs often don’t make good pets. Bear hounds are often looked at as tools and nothing more. They’re likely going to be hurt at some point and getting attached to them like a pet isn’t always a wise choice. Some houndsman do get attached and that is fine—-but I have seen too many hounds hurt and killed by lions and bears to own them myself, as I am a dog lover.

Killing the poor performers is something houndsman as well as bird dog trainers often do, to keep their reputation as a trainer of ‘good’ dogs. Same with those who breed cow dogs and whatever else. I don’t like it, but I see the rational to do so. They’re just working dogs to some people. If they’re both working dogs and family pets for a person that’s awesome but not everyone sees them as pets.

Personally I don’t see it as anyone else’s business though unfortunately that isn’t the world of politics, public spotlight and voter rational that we live in.
138 9,057 more...
Re: Spontaneous hum9n combusdtion Etoh 05/06/24
Been watching this since first hearing about it back in the 70s. Immolation (setting oneself on fire) is the most probable cause. Not voluntary of course. Conjecture has heart attack while lying in bed and smoking or close flame proximity. Called the candle effect. small localized fire by out side source melts local body fat which feed the blaze until running out of fat. Fire is localized around body and lower legs not involved (no fat). Durations and localization of process doesn't allow surroundings to catch fire.
The only other energy source would be dephosphorylation of ATP , but your body already knows. thus only allows enough made for immediate use, resulting in a very high turn over of AMP which by itself is a muscle relaxant. Glycolysis is an eleven step function so takes to long. Enough T3 could accelerate the metabolic rate enough, but your body also knows this and off sets with rT3 which is a competitive inhibitor of T3.
42 3,323 more...
Humor, Jokes, and Riddles Jump to new posts
Re: Balance MikeL2 05/06/24
Been reading some Mark Hewitt?
2 425 more...
Re: Camper repair question Stickfight 05/06/24
Originally Posted by KFWA
any thoughts on how to do it?

If you had a crystal ball you’d set fire to it now.
44 2,963 more...
Rimfires Jump to new posts
Re: Revisiting CZ 457 stock refinish WoodsyAl 05/06/24
Well, I put on my big boy pants and stripped the stock. Dear Wife offered a lot of encouragement as I headed to the workbench, saying,”I think you are on a fool’s errand.” 😉

I reviewed all of the comments on both of my posts and drover’s previous query. I also did a lot of Google searches and reviewed posts on Rimfire Central. There’s a lot of good and different ideas out there. As the Irish say, “Many roads lead to Dublin.”

I am convinced that today’s available strippers are not the same as those of a few years ago, including some older stock that folks may have on their shelves. It seems the “rules” changed sometime in 2022. In the end, I decided to use Citristrip. It took two applications but I got the stuff off. I only left the first application on for five hours. I got a good bit off then, but I suspect I would have gotten more off if I had left it on longer. But I was sure I would need two applications and wanted to do an overnight, and it was time to do that. In both cases, after applying a thick coat of the gel, I wrapped the stock in clear wrap to keep it moist. I had laid a strip of aluminum foil on my bench which kept the bench clean and made clean up easy. I scraped the stuff off with an old credit card that worked pretty well. For the checkering I used something like a toothbrush but stiffer — I’ve had it so long I don’t know where I got it — probably part of some gun cleaning kit.

After two applications there was nothing more to scrape. I wiped it clean with mineral spirits, using the brush in the checkering. There were dark spots left on the stock that I assume are stain or residual thin finish. I experimented by sanding on the butt stock and those came out. I’m in the process of masking the checkering and will then completely sand the stock. My wood is very attractive when I wet the surface to get an idea. The grain is very tight so I don’t think filling pores will be an issue.

One tip I saw somewhere was very helpful in getting the buttplate off. I found the screw holes by putting my thumbs “opposite” and tugging. The screw heads for my rifle were a Torx 20. When the screws are out, the plate is held by glue. I carefully put the stock in a vise just catching the part of the plate next to the wood but being sure the wood was not in the vise. With gentle rocking it popped loose.

So at this point I feel relieved and pretty optimistic. As I said at the top, there are lots of approaches. I’m satisfied with what I did.

I’m going to use G-B Linspeed for the finish. I know other things are currently more popular, but I’ve used this in the past and been happy with the results. I did my Winchester 72A stock about 60 years ago and it still looks great.
22 1,298 more...
Re: Camper repair question grouseman 05/06/24
Could you drill a small hole in the bubble and inject glue?
44 2,963 more...
Re: Gettysburg Henryseale 05/06/24
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
“Come on you Wolverines”! Words that should live in history!
I knew you would head to East Cavalry Field, being a fellow Custerphile!
I wish my Dad was still around. He and I thought GAC an egotistical rectum who lead 5 companies to their doom to get his name in the paper.
But since I have read into the history, I have come to admire “The Boy General With The Golden Locks”. I wish Dad would have come to know him as I have.
600 Michigan Cavalry against 4000 of Stuart’s best, and stopped them cold!
And he always led from the front! “Follow me,” never go here or do this it was “Come on you Wolverines”!
I hope you and your wife will enjoy your visit. Your treading hallowed ground. There ain’t a place on that Battlefield that doesn’t speak for itself!
If maybe I did die there, it was a life well spent!
I can honestly tell you, that every time I leave to come home, I somehow feel like I’m leaving part of me behind.
Just for historical clarification, not to particularly denigrate Custer or his troops (not that they are my chosen side in this), but a significant fact that is often overlooked that gave Custer's troops a significant advantage was that they were all armed with repeating carbines. Stuart's troops were almost exclusively armed with single shot carbines. What very few repeating carbines the Confederate cavalry troops had were battlefield captures and then there was a problem with ammunition as none of the Confederate arsenals manufactured cartridges for the Spencer and Henry repeaters. What few repeaters the Confederates were extremely limited in ammunition. I am not trying to make up excuses here as I am admittedly a Stuart admirer, however, being armed with a good weapon that is capable of firing 7 or so aimed shots in rapid succession then reloaded fairly quickly as opposed to a single shot that one might be able to get off maybe 2 or 3 shots per minute on horseback at best, depending on several factors, is quite a difference. In my estimation as a long time WBTS reenactor, I would say this advantage in superior weapons gave the Federals a per man advantage of probably 4 - 5 to 1 over the Confederates. That is a tremendous difference in a battle, especially with closely massed troops, such as the way they fought back then. That factor of the repeating carbine is what enabled Custer to defeat Stuart in this fight. I am not trying to make excuses for Stuart and not trying to diminish Custer in this. Just pointing out the facts of what happened and why. That's war, you use what you have at your disposal to defeat the enemy. The Federals had the far superior firepower at the right place and time and the Confederates did not.
242 17,723 more...
IC B3
Hunting Dogs Jump to new posts
Re: Another pigeon shoot day for the Airedale firstcoueswas80 05/06/24
This girl of mine has a ton of retrieves under her belt a lot of them are from these pigeon shoots! We do this on a farm near Casa Grande
7 846 more...
Re: Trump ‘disgusted’ over Noem’s dog drama: ‘Why would she do that?’ StoneCutter 05/06/24
Originally Posted by duke61
Dogs aren't for everyone. Dogs need someone to dedicate their time and patience to train and spend time with them. If you can't spend time with them don't get a dog, obviously she didn't spend a lot of time with her pup being too busy in her political life yet wanted to have a hunting dog at her leisure. Doesn't work that way, she also should have kept her mouth shut.

It took place 20 years ago. Not sure if she was in politics back then.
138 9,057 more...
The Lefty Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Weatherby Accumark 375TN 05/06/24
Originally Posted by TheShootist
Perhaps the most versatile caliber Weatherby ever built.
Originally Posted by TheShootist
Perhaps the most versatile caliber Weatherby ever built.

I have zero experience with Weatherby’s creations. Can you elaborate on this and educate me? Are all of these based on a blown out 375 H&H case with a more abrupt shoulder? If that is the case, are all of these actions express length?
15 2,748 more...
WTB: 7.62x54r Dies and brass mjac 05/06/24
57 years since it was last fired in anger, I have decided to shoot my bring back Mosin Nagant.

I need dies and a few pieces of brass.
5 292 more...
Re: VERY EFFECTIVE MOVIE OPENINGS. Stickfight 05/06/24
41 3,383 more...
Re: Pro-Palestinian protesters are backed by a surprising source: Biden's biggest donors Hastings 05/06/24
CP: Are you a Moslem
48 3,584 more...
Re: Hornady 20 grain XTP 17 HMR ammo Snowwolfe 05/06/24
Bump
5 629 more...
Re: Camper repair question jimmyp 05/06/24
Originally Posted by KFWA
good insights

thanks everyone

If I needed a camper for hunting camp, I would take it, probably keep tarps on the roof the rest of its life, and it would just serve as a bunkhouse at camp. I sure would not put $2-300 into it as it is as shown beyond any reasonably priced repair. If I did not need a trashed trailer for a hunting camp I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 ft pole.
44 2,963 more...
The Lefty Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Weatherby Accumark 375TN 05/06/24
A few Weatherby thoughts:

As a country boy before the internet we were isolated. Didn’t know a catholic or who Roy Weatherby was for the longest. Then one day I met a catholic in Boy Scouts and read a Mack Bolan book from the library. That is not a joke. I spent more time in the hay field by myself than civilization.

I don’t remember the issue, but Bolan was sniping with something called a 300 Weatherby Magnum. It was a bad man killer.

I’ve always loved the longer barrels on magnums like the Weatherbys. I’ve always loved the square forearms that fit my hand nicely, and I’ll always regret not convincing myself to buy the beautiful blued 460 in left hand at the Gonzales Cabelas gun library for something like $1,200.00.

I’ll also regret never buying the 26” SS with black flutes LH in 30.06 for either $849 or $899. It had a grey synthetic stock with the black paint spatter. That must be a rare bird since the only thing I can find even on GB is that rifle chambered in 30-378.

Craig Boddington said somewhere the worst recoil out of the plethora of rifles he has shot was easily the 378 Weatherby. It’ll be interesting to read how bad you think the 340 is.
15 2,748 more...
Image Gallery Jump to new posts
Pedo in a Bubble 878761 OldmanoftheSea 05/06/24
X
0 119 more...
Re: A massive fleet of AI piloted F-16s local_dirt 05/06/24
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Is anyone considering the possibility that the govt wouldn't have to worry about autonomous military equipment NOT following orders to fire in American citizens?

If ordered to fire on fellow citizens, AI would follow those directives to the letter. A human pilot may not, and even worse, become a problem to those who issue such orders.

Reading my mind, Barry.
39 2,853 more...
Re: Has anyone used a StopBox Pro to keep a handgun handy in the home? local_dirt 05/06/24
Dummmm.
15 1,243 more...
Hunting Optics Jump to new posts
Re: First Focal Plane vs Second Focal Plane Rifle Scopes rcamuglia 05/06/24
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
As has been pointed out, you'll never see a FFP scope used for actual target work where the names are listed and the scores and rankings are posted.

For hunting use, I can see the sense of a FFP scope with a proper reticle.

Wrong

There are other competitions that you are obviously unfamiliar with that no one uses a SFP scope

Practical Rifle Matches and Precision Rifle

The reticle subtensions must remain constant regardless of power setting for wind holds and elevation

Same for hunting
155 19,530 more...
Re: It's Okay That Meat Has Become Unafordable New_2_99s 05/06/24
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I hope you cooked it at least medium well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No more of that burnt meat for this guy! I have seen the light, praise little baby jeebus.

Hahaha;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

wink
141 11,503 more...
Deer Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Shortest shot on a deer? MikeL2 05/06/24
Not sure of the distance when I shot, but the buck brushed the toe of my boot when it came around from behind the rock I was sitting on.
110 14,503 more...
Page 389 of 587 1 2 387 388 389 390 391 586 587
AX24

459 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,753
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.