24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: Sane students walk out and protest "furries" Jim_Conrad 04/20/24
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Furries, trans, etc are what happens when you don't let kids police themselves ("bullying" can serve a real purpose).

I kind of like bullies.
They generally teach a kid to stand up for themselves. I don’t buy one bit that they cause kids to turn to drugs or violence.

If a kid is so shy or insecure that they don’t stand up for themself and go into deep depression, become a school shooter or whatever else, there was something wrong with that person to begin with even before the bullying.
Do you have kids?
35 2,748 more...
Rimfires Jump to new posts
Re: Messing with 10/22's again bsa1917hunter 04/20/24
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Great writeup as per usual BSA and even better pics and results..

I’ve learned that you are definitely going to wring every bit of accuracy out of a rifle

Thanks buddy. I know you are one of the ones that knew about the TI stainless receiver. That thing is so well made: It will probably last forever!!

In the OP, I left out the trouble I had getting that Kidd barrel into that receiver!!! There was a .002" difference between the I.D of the receiver and the O.D of the barrel. I had to use a brake hone and transmission valve body bore polishing kit to get the barrel to slide into the receiver.

The receiver on the 10/22 was a little loose for the Green Mountain barrel, so I put some green loctite on that one, like I would an AR15, when bedding the barrel extension into the receiver. I told my girlfriend, the damn barrel is never coming out of that Tactical Innovations receiver!! It was tight!!
4 660 more...
Re: Messing with 10/22's again Certifiable 04/20/24
Great writeup as per usual BSA and even better pics and results..

I’ve learned that you are definitely going to wring every bit of accuracy out of a rifle
4 660 more...
IC B2
Messing with 10/22's again bsa1917hunter 04/20/24
Well, a while back I bought a 10/22 clone. It caught my eye, and I decided to buy it, deciding it was a great deal after adding up all the parts in my head:

1. Stainless receiver: Tactical Innovations Elite 22S
2. AT One thumbhole stock
3. Pike Arms matchgrade bolt
4. 18" stainless fluted threaded Green Mountain barrel

I also had a Ruger 10/22 that I had put together cheaply. Selling parts to pay for better parts, etc. etc...

What I did yesterday, was pull the Green mountain barrel from the stainless T.I Elite 22S receiver, and then I put my Kidd barrel in that receiver, and glass bedded that into the Magpul X22 stock. Seemed like the right thing to do, even though I was reluctant to do the swap. I was a little worried that the rifles would not shoot as well as they did before. But then again, I figured if I glass bedded them, they would have to shoot as well. I'm glad I did the swapping around. Both rifles seem to be great:

Elite 22S receiver with Kidd barrel and magpul X-22 stock:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I did not shoot that rifle much, because I was more worried about the Ruger 10/22, and whether it was going to function 100%, and still be accurate. That Elite 22S runs like a top!!

Ruger 10/22 with 18" Green Mountain barrel, Boyds At One thumbhole stock:
Look at that group with Federal Automatch^^^ Like most of my rifles, this one likes that stuff. Shooting it better than CCI Std. velocity, and TAC 22, which are both very popular with some of you guys here.

The rifle still shoots and functions very well. The girlfriend wants this rifle, I think she will be very happy with it. She shoots it well, and it fits her like a glove.

Any of you messing with 10/22's? Seems like the weather is getting better. A good time to be messing with them, and also getting out and doing a little shooting.

Earlier today, I was messing with my TI Elite 22S with the Kidd barrel, and shot The Day at the range Easter egg challenge. It seemed to do well:
Shot 3 of these targets today. Confirmed this rifle is shooting pretty well. Or at least well enough..

You guys with those good shooting Tikka's, Anschutz, and Bergara's should get out and try your hand at those eggs. It's a fun challenge. They don't look that hard, but those damn ones in the middle have me pulling my hair out!!!

If any of you are messing with 10/22's, lets see them. Thanks!!!!
4 660 more...
Flyfishing Jump to new posts
Re: New SAGE Elvis 04/20/24
Brilliant offer from Sage. With the money you saved on the rod and line, buy yourself a Sage Click in 0/1/2 in the new Flint colour.
12 1,760 more...
Re: "Go to" fly Elvis 04/20/24
For 90 percent of my fishing in the small streams and creeks here I use a #14 brown nymph. Either a seals fur like pattern, but tied with any brown dubbing I have, or a pheasant tail. Sometimes I add a flashback, especially on the pheasant tail. I read somewhere that 80% of a trout's diet is taken sub surface so a well placed nymph seems to do the trick.
79 27,077 more...
Re: Bought my first can of Kroil !!! Jim_Conrad 04/20/24
Originally Posted by Valsdad
But the Kroil smellls cool.

It smells like cancer.
82 6,018 more...
Re: Fly lines Elvis 04/20/24
I'm not hooked on a certain brand and have lines from Rio, Scientific Angler, Cortland, Loop, Barrio and OPST. I tend to look for the line that meets my needs. For example, Cortland is the only brand that makes a sink tip in #4 weight, so they got my money. Most other brands start at #5. I've been buying a few Loop lines, which are made by SA, and the one that I absolutely love is the Opti Drift because it has a short 24 foot head. I put one on my #2 rod and it is perfect as it loads quickly for small streams. I put one on my #3 weight as well. All the lines have been good so I don't limit myself to a specific brand.

I must add that I try to stay away from the budget lines. I have quite a few Rio lines in the Elite and Premier range and they have been very good. I tried one of their Mainstream lines and I found it just didn't shoot through the guides as readily. I guess something must be cut in the manufacturing process to sell it cheaper.
24 3,708 more...
Re: Is it Friday? and is there music? geedubya 04/20/24

ya!

GWB
81 3,071 more...
Re: Compulsory Home Sales AcesNeights 04/20/24
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
15 minute cities….nofuckingthanks!
I hear they building one in Arizona Phoenix area.

They’re coming <most> everywhere eventually unless we change their minds. 😉
34 3,109 more...
IC B3
Re: New rod overload? Well, used stuff actually. Elvis 04/20/24
Welcome back. I took up fly fishing again February 2023 after a 20+ year break. It has hooked me bigtime. So much that I missed the deer rut last year as I fished right through it. It's the rut here again right now and I still haven't been out hunting, rather I'm planning where to go fishing next week rather than hunting. I'm at an age where I follow my heart not my head or the calendar.

I've been buying mostly Loop rods from Sweden but I have a couple of TFO. The TFO are good rods for the relatively low price (LK Legacy and Blue Ribbon). If you can find a second hand one they'd be a good buy.
17 1,333 more...
Re: Compulsory Home Sales Riverc 04/20/24
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I hear they building one in Arizona Phoenix area.
34 3,109 more...
Re: Is it Friday? and is there music? geedubya 04/20/24

ya!

GWB
81 3,071 more...
Re: Outdoor Takes jaguartx 04/20/24
286 57,490 more...
Re: Bought my first can of Kroil !!! Hotrod_Lincoln 04/20/24
I've been using it for 50+ years. It's cheaper to buy a gallon and use a hand pump spritz bottle from the local big box hardware store than to waste money on the aerosol cans. The company, which is based in Nashville Tennessee used to sell direct to their customers. I was buying straight from the factory- - - -at their walk-in sales counter. Now they insist on "dealer sales only". www.kanolabs.com

I'm about to mix up some acetone/ATF to see if it works like people claim- - - -both ingredients are on the shelf at my local Walmart store.
82 6,018 more...
Re: Sane students walk out and protest "furries" T_Inman 04/20/24
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Furries, trans, etc are what happens when you don't let kids police themselves ("bullying" can serve a real purpose).

I kind of like bullies.
They generally teach a kid to stand up for themselves. I don’t buy one bit that they cause kids to turn to drugs or violence.

If a kid is so shy or insecure that they don’t stand up for themself and go into deep depression, become a school shooter or whatever else, there was something wrong with that person to begin with even before the bullying.
35 2,748 more...
Re: Does Advertising Work on You Riverc 04/20/24
Ad's & commercials don't sway me. Since I don't own a TV anymore I don't see them, but I listen to the radio a lot so can't dodge all of them.
88 4,741 more...
Re: Compulsory Home Sales AcesNeights 04/20/24
34 3,109 more...
Phil Collins ironbender 04/20/24
5 1,158 more...
AR and Tactical Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Inexpensive free float handguard? Burleyboy 04/20/24
I've been using the aero S-one lately. They are more money but I did find so.e a while back around $120. I've been watching for another deal like that to come up but haven't seen one lately.

Anyone know who's got the best deals on 15" aero S-ones? I may have to switch brands to something cheaper too.

I want to build lightweight ARs for each of my kids. I'd like some lighter weight m lock ones that also have a circle hole for a qd sling on each side.

Bb
10 1,102 more...
Re: Is it Friday? and is there music? tdbob 04/20/24
81 3,071 more...
Re: Parking Lots Are Dangerous. WMR 04/20/24
Dangerous? Darn right! Buddy slipped on the ice last month and shattered his kneecap. Post-op now, he’ll be limping for months. ☹️
45 3,294 more...
Re: New explosions! Hotrod_Lincoln 04/20/24
Lots of fatalities- - - -hopefully. Dead ragheads are good ragheads.
37 3,593 more...
Re: Parking Lots Are Dangerous. Jim_Conrad 04/20/24
Ride Captain...

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/watchv=OKaSr3B_II?si=n9C_BTHMqlryflUq[/video]
45 3,294 more...
Yes- - - -good customer service really does still exist! Hotrod_Lincoln 04/20/24
A couple of days ago, I was disappointed to find that my heat pump was not cooling. A little checking determined the main circuit breaker for the unit had tripped. "No problem, I'll just reset it"- - - - -WRONG! As soon as I flipped the HVAC breaker to the "on" position, the 200 amp main breaker for the whole panel tripped! Bad juju!

Disconnecting the power supply to the condenser/compressor unit stopped the breaker tripping- - - -pretty obvious its a shorted out compressor. The unit is over 10 years old, and had been pretty much trouble free with only one previous major failure- - - -a speed control unit for the air handler blower that was replaced under warranty about 5 years ago. The contractor who installed the unit, and another one who did the warranty repair are both out of business, so I was faced with the unenviable task of finding a service tech on short notice, hopefully one who wouldn't give me the standard sales pitch "It's an old unit- - - -gotta replace the whole system"! I go to the manufacturer's website- - - -"find a dealer"- - - -three of them within about a 25 mile radius. Call the nearest one- - - -15 miles away- - - -get the usual pre-recorded voice mail "Your call is very important to us- - - -please leave a message!" 3 hours later, no call back!

Now,bear in mind- - -my wife is recovering from a stroke, and she's very sensitive to minor changes in temperature- - - -she can go from sweltering to freezing and back with a 5 degree shift in the temp of her bedroom. Got a small window air condirioning unit up and running for the first time in about 5 years - - - -thankfully, it still works! Temp stabilizes a little. Back to the phone. Dealer #2- - - -about 25 miles away- - - -a real person answers, asks some very intelligent questions, which I answer satisfactorily, including an educated guess that the compressor is shorted out. He agrees with my diagnosis! Takes down the model number and serial number of the unit- - - - -"I'll see if the warehouse has a compressor in stock and call you back"- - - - -30 minutes later- - - -"None in stock locally- - - -regional warehouse has one on the way to me- - - -it will be here tomorrow". Takes down my name, address, and phone number- - - -"I can be there tomorrow if the compressor arrives soon enough." Now this guy has just commited to purchase a VERY expensive part on the word of a potential customer's WAG about what's wrong. Somebody he's never met, nor done business with before! No mention of "Gotta make a service call for diagnosis- - - -etc." All this conversation happened yesterday. I get a call this morning- - - - -"Got the compressor- - - -be there in about an hour". I offer to meet him at the interstate and guide him in, as I live on a dead end gravel road 7 miles form the exit he needs to take. He acceptrs my offer. 3 hours after he and a helper arrive, the compressor is installed, the system is recharged, it's running right, and Mama is a happy camper! The business owner, and his assistant are both 60 years old or so, and worked their butts off to do a good, quick job. They got paid in CASH- - - -not plastic, ($2200.00 parts and labor) plus a healthy tip over the asking price. I'll be doing business with them again- - - -routine maintenance, etc. and any new system installation I might need in the future.

Oh, yeah- - - - -did I mention- - - - -Mr. Businessman and his very skilled helper are "African-American"- - - -or more accurately, just hard working real Americans who believe in doing an honest day's work- - - -the right way- - - -the first time- - - -for a fair price! It's hard to ask for more than that!
1 418 more...
Page 565 of 587 1 2 563 564 565 566 567 586 587
AX24

648 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.