bsa: My 2 cents worth on this issue. Up until a few years ago, I didn't hunt for larger critters, or in areas where they were. Then started hunting Alaska. I bought my .300 WM thinking it would be about perfect for that but when it didn't shoot well because the barrel was burned out, I decided to re-barrel. My logical choices in that it had the magnum bolt face was another .300 or a .338. I chose the .300 for 2 reasons: 1) I'm probably not as good a shot as some of you guys, so recoil certainly is a factor with me. 2) however, based on everything I've read, from the men who are genuninely experienced in this area, such as Phil Shoemaker in Alaska whom my son works for, is that it isn't until you get up into the .375 and above class of cartridge that you see any noticable difference in killing. I know many here will no doubt say that is not true, but I suspect it is. I'm more of the "correctly placed well constructed bullet" mindset than needing more horsepower.

I do have a pre-64 .338 I could use, but for me, my re-barrelled .300, also a pre-64, is something I'm good with. If I have the chance to go back to Alaska for a big bear, I would likely haul along the .300 again. I'm taking it for elk this year and in no way feel undergunned. If you look beyond what you read and find what many people who live in the areas they can hunt the big ones every year, that they have used successfully on really nasty animals, often you find rather small cartridges that most of us would not think enough.

But like I said, just my 2 cents worth. Always enjoy reading you guys stuff.