Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Scotty, sometimes I wonder if you, me and Dewey are the only ones that like/love the 338 win mag. I think RGK and Razz and maybe GSPfan may have one as well, but they don't talk about theirs much...

I too love my 338! The Alaskan I picked up this year really likes 225 Partitions pushed by 72.5 gr RL19. Groups under 1 inch all day long, best is just under 0.70 for 3 shots. There is a pic of the group in one of my posts here. My previous 338 was from another maker, stainless and plastic, heart less bitch with no warmth to cuddle up to, but boy could she shoot! 210 Partions fueled by 76.5 gr RL19 and chrono'd at 2955 fps. Accounted for a couple elk and one mule deer. Sold the gun to my son's room mate up in Wyo and he's hoping to fil his tags with it this year.
We didn't pull Elk archery tags this year so we picked up antlerless tags here in NM. Have some friends joining us from back east so I may not take my 338 this trip, still undecided. i have an 1890 vintage 1886 in 40/82 that I would love to dump an elk with.

Not to worry though, the 338 Alaskan will be my go to for my NM Safari. I pulled a once in a lifetime Oryx tag on White Sands this coming January. The 338 is just the medicine the doctor ordered.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz