ager:
I have no problem with Vortex customer service.... that's why I posted the update. I knew they'd replace it as soon as I saw that it was broken.... which is small comfort when you're on the side of a mountain fixing to do some scouting. But, it is a HUGE comfort when you get home, and get it sent off.... then have it back before the end of the month.

Frankly.... I expect Vortex products to break at some point (same with Leupold).... and I expect to have to use their warranty. My use of those brands is waning.... but lack of acceptable substitutes (at least that I'm willing to pay $2k-$4k for) dictates that I continue to use a couple of their products. I'm OK with that.... and understand that occasionally schitt will happen.

I didn't buy this spotter.... I took it on a trade with the intent of selling it off. I made the mistake of setting it up and trying it out.... and was impressed with the combination of optical quality, weight, and CS (if needed)... so I kept it. It proved valuable numerous times over the past couple years... and I've taken some great pictures and video through it as well. There's more than a couple guys on this board who have used that very spotter.... none of them had anything negative to say.... even the guys who run Uber glass.

AFTER taking it on trade.... I had to send in a set of Binocs for repair.... more than once, and I had the two aforementioned scopes go tits-up (maybe they started that way). This spotter was on the way out too.... as I've gravitated toward big eyes.... and I don't see a need for both.

If you have kids..... you know schitt gets broken..... and you know you'll never get the whole story. What happens when your kids break your Leica or Swaro spotter? You can tan hides.... but that won't get your glass up and running. Furthermore.... I want optics that I'm not afraid to let the kids (or others) run.... I love that my 8-year old knows how to run a spotter.... or being able to loan it to a pard in need. I'd be aweful hesitant to hand a $2500 Meopta spotter to one of my nephews and tell them to have at it.

I don't know that "price point" would have protected a spotter from what happened to this one.... would a $3k Swaro have taken the spill without a hiccup..... not sure.... but I saw JB dump his pretty f'n hard when wind blew the tripod over.... and it took it, for the most part.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......