Originally Posted by BullShooter
czech1022-

Would it be possible for you to remove the scope mount base on the receiver ring and post a photo of the markings that will be exposed? While I'm pretty sure it's an Erfurt product, I may have been mistaken in calling it a Kar98 receiver, rather than a Kar98a. The date be as late as 1918.

Here's an image from an unaltered rifle of what the markings might look like.

Thanks.
--Bob
[Linked Image]

This is my guess too. The "T" sticking out from the base is part of the ERFURT logo. It's clearly a KAR98a and possibly a Kar98AZ. These were made by Amberg, Danzig, Erfurt and Spandau. Since ERFURT is the only one to end with a T, well.....I think ERFURT is a safe guess. My best SWAG is it will have a 1915-1917 date code since that's when the majority of them were made. Since it only has one date code and no "dirty bird" on it I believe it was out of commission before the Treaty of Versailles making it an unofficial WW1 only rifle. Some were re-dated after the war and accepted under the treaty.

From the proof marks it shows it failed it's first inspection and was sent back to be re-examined and was later accepted. On the proof marks the letters below the crowns are only the guy who inspected it, like the inspector #6 tag you find in your new fruit of the loom underwear. The "RC" below the crown on the top of the first proof shows it failed it's initial hardness inspection and was sent back to the Revisor Committee for improvement. These actions are case hardened so it wasn't a real big deal. The first inspection was for hardness testing, the second was for assembly testing and the last is for function testing.
[Linked Image]