Aha !!!

Just some observations, but first beautiful rifle. Congrats.

My very first rifle back when I was a young Guy was a Fabrique Nationale Belgian Mauser 22-250 barreled action $136.. I had it re-chambered to 25-06 $30. I bought a Herter's, excellent burl walnut, semi finished blank $45 and completed it myself then glass bedded it. And installed double set triggers myself $25. It would shoot 5/8" groups all day. I even took moose with it.

I knew that there was something lurking in the woodwork when you said you would pull the scope mount. Military Mauser 98 bolt throw is up vertical. A normal modern scope can't be mounted without modification. So your bolt had to be re-shaped. Some old German sniper rifles did have primitive scopes with long eye relief.

So what can we call/identify this rifle ? It isn't a Mauser M98 by any means according to the family tree since the only original part remaining is the receiver. There must be a description but I can't name it here other than to place it into the category of "custom rifle". Not original, not obsolete.

So, again, what is the caliber? Why doesn't it have the classy and accurate double set triggers ?

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 07/27/15.