That is what I understood from Badlands as well. For bigger game (elk, bears), my MO is basically shoot something, quarter it, hang in trees, take out an easy load on the way to my packframe.

For remote deer, I'm working it out. I've shot a few deer lately 1+ miles from any road and know I don't want to drag any more deer on bare ground that far......

I don't really want to carry my Eberlestock or packframe on my backpack into my camp site. Likewise, I really don't want to use my 4000 cu in backpack as a daypack. I've looked a lashing my backpack to my packframe and carry it in that way but it seems really clunky when I tried it. That still leaves me short for a daypack.

So, I'm thinking a lighter daypack, strapped to my backpack and capable of bringing out head/hide or head/backstraps, make a run to the truck for a packframe/Eberlestock. Could be a long walk but I'm considering all options at this point. Or hire a Sherpa.

At the end of the day, I need a pack ~ 13-1500 cu in anyway for my normal day hunting duties.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.