My Argentine outfitter included the price of trophy permits, packing, dipping, yada yada, etc. into the price of my March red stag hunt. Said all that was left was transport from BA to USA. This was at the end of the hunt when we were settling up.

The bill for transport came two weeks ago: $1100 to transport two red stag skull plates and one cape to LAX.

Needless to say, I was a little hot. This is all before contemplated taxidermy costs. Had I known, I would have saved the aforementioned several hundred dollars in fees to the outfitter too.

Thankfully, I took a LOT of pictures. In the future, unless I take something truly stellar, I can't see dropping that cash on getting international trophies home and then mounted.

As much as I love good taxidermy, I'd rather take great pics and throw the rest of the cash into more hunts. Or my IRA.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine