Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems to me the attraction of an African hunt, at least for us common folk, has been the value. Compared to a Brown Bear hunt in AK, etc., one could, with less money, have a great African PG hunt.

All these new airline rules, this Cecil stuff, may put a dent in that business. Of course, the Trump boys, et. al., will always be able to hunt Zim or any where they want. Those of us considering a Namibia or RSA adventure may be looking domestically for exotics, Nilgai, etc.

All this may enhance the local exotic hunting business, high fence notwithstanding. High fences may become less of a pariah to those wanting to hunt certain species.

Time will tell.

DF

When you consider that you can hunt several different species for the same cost (including airfare) as you can one decent elk hunt out west, or an Alaskan hunt where you take one animal of one species, then it's not a pretty good value, but a great value! I really enjoyed my trip over there last year....great place, great people, great hunt.
However, now some things have changed: if it's not the antis turning us into social pariahs with lies and outright bullshit, it's our own govt. making taking our own firearms out of country difficult, with rules that they (the Obama administration) instigated to curb gun running by drug dealers in Mexico (guns which they (the administration), let go there in the first place!). To make it even more difficult, nobody in said administration had ANY idea as to how to enforce the said rules.....talk about a cluster!!!
I hope to go to Africa again...I seriously doubt that I will bring many, if any, more heads/trophies back...the cost is just too ridiculous anymore, and photos fit on the wall much better.
As you said, Dirtfarmer.......only time will tell!

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"