Originally Posted by jorgeI
RSA is a complete ripoff when it comes to the dipping/packing stuff. That said, taxidermy was a LOT cheaper than in the states. Although I have not been back in many years, I saved about 35% had I done them here in the states. I did however drive to Atlanta to pick them up though. The damned freight company wanted almost as much as the air freight from RSA to Atlanta! Also, Taxidermy in Africa doesn't have all the tree-hugging issues with chemicals, they still do it the old fashioned way and that practically ensures your mounts will NEVER get dermestid infestation.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you....last month I got my mounts back from my 2014 trip: one wildebeest shoulder mount, one gemsbok shoulder mount, one waterbuck flatskin, a European kudu mount, and an impala european mount. The cost of the taxidermy (not including shipping), which was done in SA by a well-known company, was more than my safari!! When I got it back, the 'crate' was akin to a cardboard box IMHO...2x2 and 1/4" plywood.....for close to $4K in trophies!!! REALLY!!! You couldn't step up to, say, 3/8" plywood? The crate was damanged, and my kudu skull mount had some broken pieces on it....when I looked closer, I could see something moving.....BUGS!!! Bugs in a damn skull mount, of all things! In addition, my wildebeest mount has an ugly seam going up the leg.............to say I am disappointed is an understatement! If I ever get another chance to go to Africa, I sure as hell WON'T have the taxidermy done there....I will pay for the dip/pack; or better still, just pay the damn VAT on the trophy fees and take photos instead.....it'll be cheaper in the long run.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"