Originally Posted by wirehair

First thread I read and I find a familiar sight! I wasn't aware that area was open to hunting, I thought it was inside city limits. I remember the hubbub trying to close Lamprey Pass, I can't remember if the east section was closed or not.

I tend to see more deer on the north side of the highway- I am usually looking for the trooper running radar in the median. I'll see deer while approaching the exit if there isn't some nitwit entering the freeway at 40 mph or when past the turn and on the straight away if I don't see a local cop down by the bridge.

Keep your eyes open, there is at least a sow with two cubs roaming the area, I saw them cross over the freeway just north of 8 last spring. The year before a younger bear crossed 8 in front of me up by Comfort Lake.

Welcome to the fire.

I don't know for certain what the status is down there, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is open for bow south of 8. They Hunt ducks on Forest lake inside the city limits.

You have to know where to look for the deer on the south side. If you get off on the 2nd street NW exit watch in the pines next to the exit ramp you see them laying there right in people's back yards all the time. Out around the high ground in the swamp that the city burns tree waste on is another place to keep an eye on. You see more one the north side, but there's half again as many on the south. I'd hate to have a garden or shrubs in any of the houses that back up to the swamp.

There's always been bears around there. They tour a good size area in the spring and tear up bird feeders. Back before the mid 70's the DNR would come out with a trap is anyone reported bears. They don't much care anymore. Last spring I saw one almost in downtown St Croix Falls coming out of a residential area in the middle of the day.