Idholton: Many years ago I bought a heavy stainless Lilja barrel that Dan Lilja had match chambered.
I attached it to a Deluxe Ruger 10/22 with the standard factory method and had some trigger work and a barrel channel re-sizing done.
I still remember the price for that Lilja barrel from 25 years (or so) ago - $260.00 which was way more than I paid for the then new Ruger Deluxe 10/22!
Accuracy was (and is!) pretty good with this rig - even after way more than 100,000 rounds have gone down that tube!
I now have a 6x24 power variable scope on it and I can often hit the head of a Ground Squirrel out at 100 yards or so (especially in no wind conditions).
I kind of have to disagree with your contention (that 10/22 and tack driver are not in the same sentence) at least as far as this - if someone wants to start out a 10/22 on the road to accuracy then most likely that accuracy in that platform will be intended for small game and Varmint Hunting!
If said 22 Long Rifleman wants to compete in rimfire bench rest competitions then more than likely that shooter would start out with a bolt action, single shot of top quality manufacture, already.
Yep my Remington 40X 22 L.R. is slightly more accurate but its a single shot and cost WAY more than even my semi-customized Ruger 10/22!
As was my Kimber 82-G and maybe even my Kimber Model 22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette).
I have shot along side some of those BR type 22 L.R.'s out in the Ground Squirrel Colonies and what small measure of accuracy I give up to them with my 10/22's I more than make up for in rapid fire without loosing sight picture while the actions are worked/working!
My Lilja barreled 10/22 shoots rather well... AND... it shoots rapidly - and I now have a bevy of 10, 15, 25 and 50 round magazines for it!
Rapid fire is the baliwick of the Ruger 10/22 and over the decades I have seen some very accurate 10/22's come down the pike (rapid firing as they came!).
So I somewhat disagree with your blanket statement.
Long live the Ruger 10/22!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy