i have a different approach or thought process about bedding but again i was dealing with a bolt action. i bedded and installed pillars in my M77/22 and bedded the first 1 1/2" under the barrel but i wanted a stress free set up. if i needed upward barrel pressure at the forearm then i would add it back in later. i ended up not putting it back in as the free floated barrel shot well. after drilling out the action screw holes i installed the pillars to the action with the action screws and some tape wrapped around the screws to keep them centered in the pillars. tightened the screws good and tight and made sure plenty or release was on the end of the pillar that was up against the action. plenty of release on the action as well. then set the whole assembly into the bedding goo and strap in to hold until set. after setting then i undid the action screws and pulled the action out of the stock. now when i reassemble the action to the stock i have a stress free set up. it's the only way to get a repeatable bolt up. If any pressure pad is need then it is applied afterwards. i was thinking along the same lines for my 10/22. i have the barrel free floated now and it's shooting pretty good. i have the GM sporter barrel on it not a bull barrel so barrel droop has not been an issue for me yet.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!