The Tavor costs what it costs. I have one and expect to have another before the end of the year. On the whole I'd say the Tavor falls into the PDW category and maybe price competes as much with Wilson Combat and other high end handguns much more than with true rifles or even carbines.

My immediate comparison is with an old - LEO marked when I got it so I've had it quite a while and I'd say bonded OK - 6920 M4gerie. Incidentally current 6920 prices from CDNN and others are a fabulous deal buy 2 and half of those instead of a Tavor if you don't already have at least a brace of AR's. Great value and far more versatile than a Tavor - I've got a 24" Shilen barrel in .204 Ruger on a Colt lower and I can't imagine wanting that on a Tavor chassis even if it were free.

No question the AR is a better choice for a designated marksman role and that's more the civilian role in an end of the world as we know it conflict. I'm moving a CQB sight and light from the AR to the Tavor and going with a 3-gun style higher magnification at least available setup on the 6920. I say this to emphasize that I see a difference in roles.

For folks who've gone to the trouble and expense of papering a short barreled AR and adding a can for indoor use I'd go with the Tavor every time - likely enough in 9x19 with the cute and short suppressor - doesn't work with anything else but is really neat on a 9x19 Tavor so far.

See Jerry Miculek's videos of fun with a Tavor for suggestions including in vehicle to longer ranges.