Originally Posted by go_bears
My BIL lives in Australia and just received a depredation permit for his farm. He wants a 50mm scope for light gather at dawn and dusk. He wants to spend $350 or less. Would he be better off getting a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 or buying a lower end 50mm scope? I'm leaning towards the Zeiss since it has great glass and is still in his price range over getting a cheaper quality 50mm scope.

I'm open to other ideas so what would you guys choose to help this Aussie shoot some kangaroos?

You ain't gonna listen and that will be THE funniest fhuqking part.

Firstly,I've got or have shot every glass thus far mentioned,as well as a lot that ain't. I'll never savvy why folks swoon the Conquest(in ANY of it's forms),other than it's always a buncha Clueless Dumbfhuqks easily enamored with a "name". There is nothing redeeming in the Conquest,whether one is talking reticle(s),adjustment value/range/reliability,out right durability,eye-relief or any other facet pertinent to actual scope USE. Hint. Now read that again. Re-hint.

Same goes Meopta.

Now you didn't cite the rifle in particular,but as a worst case scenario it's 1-10" which means 90 Skinners at 3350fps are viable. Though a concession to a 9" spout,it still opens alotta windows of opportunity. Understand that I'm being VERY generous,in tossing the courtesy that the gent in question has a first fhuqking clue...which ain't very fhuqking likely given the query. More likely a Turd Polisher flingin' Ping Pong Balls in sheer and utter ignorance,devoid a single inkling in the arrangement of POA/POI intersections. You really should be writing this down. Read that again. Hint.

The aforementioned 6x42's(I just might have some familiarity),are very often the pick of the litter,as Utility goes. Their sole undoing isn't a function of the relative "quality" of the glass,exit pupil or anything else,but rather gathering the reticle in the lowest of light conditions...which is the very premise of your passed along query. It got sooooooo good,that one Stupid Fhuqker is gonna pack multiple scopes and swap 'em out,as ambient light levels change. FUNNY schit! The hilarity of Imagination and Pretend is without limits!

Anywhoo...the most fruit is always gonna be gathered and the most dots connected,if you focus on Reality,though it obviously ain't for everyone,as these Threads always eloquently attest. If one focuses(literally) on rugged reliability,durability,erector repeatability and forgets all the Fluff...it then becomes easy to cut to the fhuqking chase and laugh at Conquest-esque Notions,which are only proffered by the faction that "does" the least. Read that again. Hint. Now one more time. The Conquest is a ticking time bomb piece of schit and that again is my being very generous. Re-re-hint.

So beings it's a given that the reticle comes into play,once rugged reliability has been granted,there's only ONE fhuqking way to truly connect them dots and that via illumination. Sadly,most illuminated reticles are sorry Goat Fhuqks contrived by Clueless Bean Counters and are only good for laughs. They are designed by folks educated wayyyyyyyyyy beyond their fhuqking "intelligence" and it gets funny FAST. Hint.

Now that all of the salient points have flown over your pointy fhuqking head,I'll happily take the time to connect a few more fhuqking dots,so schit will get REALLY fhuqking funny,when you stand lock-legged at the waterin' hole and make a "stand" of Clueless Refrain. Laughing!

Though a 10" 243Win do nice thangs,one can't ever have "too much" erector travel. A reticle that grants opportunity upon the windshield,will never hurt the equation. When schit is dark,nothing works like light(illumination). Soooooooo...the astute can have their cake and eat it too. If one were to procure the SFP SWFA 1-4x and rock it ala Variable Fixed Fhuqker with subtention set to jive the erector(4x),alotta nice things happen by literal default.

Firstly,the erector travel is beyond "huge" at 62+ MILS and in 1/10 increments at the typical 5 Mil per each revolution.

[Linked Image]

Secondly,the reticle grants 10Mils of ele and 5 Mils of windage. That's the 1200yd line from a 250yd 90 Skinner zero and 1600yds of holdoff in 10mph full value correction.

[Linked Image]

Thirdly,it's illuminated and when activated it is EXCEEDINGLY easy to hold hard as the center point is 1MOA and lightning quick. betwixt every rheostat setting,is an "off" position,so one is never more than a single click away from dealing death.

[Linked Image]

Fourthly,tube length is veddy veddy generous and will easily facilitate mounting on any platform. As compared to a Reupold 6x42.

[Linked Image]

Compared to a Reupold 1" 3.5-10x 40mm and a L/A 700 receiver,for 1000 more words.

[Linked Image]

Fifthly,it's weight is commensurate to a 1" Reupold 6x42/3.5-10x wearing turrets. The Illuminati Variable Fixed [bleep] houses 36MOA of money in the bank,on the reticle alone.

Sixthly,the extry battery compartment is an essentially well thunked out idea. I've left it on for nearly 2wks and cain't kill the 1st battery,which is of dubious descent.

[Linked Image]

Seventhly,when configured as a Variable Fixed Fhuqker it do toss 6mm's of exit pupil...if only for extrapolation.

Eightly, acquisition is lightnin' quick,with the 'box and 'relief suplizingly forgiving.

Ninthly,the reticle's subtension values allow one to hold hard and it's a breeze to connect on 1MOA targets to 1000yds+.

Tenthly,the erector tracks like it has fhuqking eyes and one 'hose washer,will grant a zero-stop.

Now coming full circle and had Night Knocking not been the crux of the premise,the 6x42 Fixed Fhuqker MQ simply steals the show. It has far more tactile adjustments than the MOA/MD version of same and one is of course granted a vastly superior reticle,that is both more finite and of twice the subtention latitude. That being said,the Illuminati's adjustments Trump ALL,in their tactility and I've prolly gotta few scopes to compare/contrast. Hint.

You'll still manage to fhuqk this up.

Bless your heart................

(Addendum: ship them pieces of fhuqking schit back ASAP)

Thank me later.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."