For me, Larry's devolution from a helpful font of useful knowledge to his current propensity for rude rantings has been sad to watch.

If you compare the helpful posts and PMs of the Big Stick of a decade ago to the rude/boorish behavior he exhibits today, it seems obvious that something has happened in his life to cause such a dynamic change to his on-line personality. Some have speculated that the "IT" was the unexpected death of his Wife's Son, Kyle, in 2010, but Larry had been previously banned from 24HCF for his racist attack on Kamo Gari prior to Kyle's death, so I don't think that Kyle's death was the catalyst for Larry's change.

Larry sent this PM to me in 2003:

"Jeff,

I punched a 24" S/S 700 in 7-08 to 284Win and have the 22" 7SAUM to compare to them. The SAUM is 200fps faster in the 22" Model Seven tube,than the 284 wearing the 24" tube.

Of course those are not comprehensive results and only reveal the performance of but a coupla rifles against each other,though I believe it to be a fair assesment.

There was about a 350fps difference between the 24" 7-08 and the 22" SAUM. I AM a huge 7-08 fan,but the SAUM really is an excellent chambering for critters. For paper/play,I'd be content doing the 7-08 Thing,but given my druthers for Game,I'd opt the juice of the SAUM and would actually prefer it in the smaller/shorter Model Seven package(I really love mine,it is a superb little rifle).

All the chamberings you mention,are fabulous in my opinion and there isn't a poor choice in the lot. I'd just steer you to do what your cravings tell you and if you gotta do something different,do it. If not,rest easy that you is in great shape with the 7-08.

It is impossible for me to tell you with a straight face,that the 7-08 isn't superb and really crunches critters. How it does what it does,I can't explain. That being said,I see the SAUM as simply more of a good thing and that ain't bad.

I'm pretty sweet on the SAUM,if you couldn't tell but like them all a bunch............".

Helpful and friendly, right? Pretty hard to believe that this was written by the same person posting earlier in this tread, isn't it?

I feel sorry for Larry, as the devolution for his behavior seems so similar to the downward spiral of addiction that I have seen time and time again. I no longer read his posts, as I set a low threshold for rude behavior. Sympathy for the man, contempt for the behavior.

Or so it seems to me.