So it has to be a .33 caliber 700 with no more than a 28" barrel for long range as possible. I stand by the 338 RUM. That will be a nice maxed out combination.

I had a factory 338RUM in here last week that he couldn't keep scope mounts on even with a Holland brake on it. He is a guide and frequently lets customers use it so it gets shot a lot. I think the light barrel was flexing the action and kept pulling the threads off the base screws and eventually the action. Not even a really heavy scope. He uses a VX3 6.5-20x50LRT on it. It is a light factory barrel and I suspect the Holland brake was flexing the barrel downward causing a tremendous vibration to transmit back through the action. We milled it for 8-40 screws to repair the damaged 6-48 holes and correct them to be aligned with the bolt raceway. Then custom fit the 8-40 screws so that it used 100% of all available threads. We pinned the rail front and rear with real tight fitting .094" hardened pins. Then epoxy bedded it to the action with no release agent. That ought to hold it. If not we will change the brake. Why the long story. I would think it over long and hard before putting a 338 Lapua in a 700 action. I personally think they are just too flimsy for this application.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO