Originally Posted by jwp475

The Holland Brake will work. For long range prone shooting a side port brake is the way to go with no ports on the bottom or top for that matter. A big 338 with a good brake will make accuracy much easier. If you run a long barrel (I went with 30") the exit pressure will be reduced and noise level will be greatly reduced.

Howdy John! Yeah, you've been preaching a brake for as long as I've been paying attention. One HUGE side benefit will be being able to see my hits/misses. I'm usually alone and that can be a problem with my other rifles. Where I shoot, there's usually forest "duff" around my targets, as opposed to dry dirt or gravel, so misses often just vanish into the debris without even a puff of dust or a disturbed spot in the dirt to show where the bullet strike was.

It wouldn't surprise me if I ended up retrofitting a removable brake onto my heavy 7WSM for just that reason.

I should at least consider going 30" on the barrel I suppose. Ugh. I hate long barrels. With this rifle, though, I'm gonna just step WAY out of my comfort zone, and just let you guys tell me what's "best", and give that a try. Cause I can be a wee bit stubborn otherwise. smile

Hope your Christmas is a wonderful one.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!