Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by fish head
Here's a method and not necessarily a recipe for cooking the packaged marinated pork tenderloins that you buy in the grocery store.

Brown the tenderloin in a cast iron skillet (with a little bit of oil) and then put the cast iron in a preheated 360 degree oven to finish for about 40 minutes (turning once about half ways through).

This method produces a very moist tender hunk of meat. I use this for not only tenderloins but also london broil, whole chicken sliced in half, pork loin, venison backstrap, etc. You can add mushrooms, onion, potato wedges, whatever goes with the meat of your choice, and have a complete one skillet dinner. Season appropriately.

If you've never tried this - give it a go. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. smile

How well done is a london broil after 40 min at 360*?

I'm with ya on this one: fresh tenderloins would likely be chewy after 40 minutes. I'd suspect, though, that the prepackaged "marinated" ones might stand up to it, on account of being injected with the marinade. The salt will keep moisture in even with a surprising amount of overcooking.

"Pumped Pork" was just being discussed during my brief tenure in the meat business. The marketing types thought that squirting 7 to 10% salt water (by weight) into fresh pork would be a tremendous benefit to the consumer, since it would be relatively tender even when overcooked. The old-timers said it would never fly, since butchers would immediately see through the callous ploy of charging them up to $3/lb. for water.

I guess it's caught on, however. Kroger is a big chain, and it's damned near impossible to buy any cut of pork there that's not "pumped". Or, as they label it, "Moist & Tender". I still like to get "unpumped" pork, because I want to be the one doing the flavoring, and I aint gonna overcook it.

After having had decent success with, "The Other White Meat" as a slogan, the National Pork Producers Council thought they could follow it up with, "Think Pink", to get people to abandon the centuries-old notion to overcook pork to make sure it was safe. Maybe it was easier to doctor-up the product, than to change consumer behavior.

As for recipes, here's a great place to start.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC